New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well I didn't have much time as I shot my moose on Thursday evening in Zone 12 Irving/Bowater property. I got back Friday afternoon and loaded the truck and trailer and headed for Quebec crossbow moose hunt.

Friday morning we retrieved the big bull. 20 pointer shot with a 300WSM Browing A-Bolt stainless stalker. Called for 2 hours only to finally really get into it before last light. Starting honking on the old birch bark real hard going for broke as my buddy Sean grunted. I did the agitated cow call which is long and drawn out. Finally within seconds of finishing I heard a grunt. Then more grunts. We had 2 bulls coming in but the second one backed off as the larger bull was coming hard as we continued the sequence of calls. He held up a few times and my buddy Sean walked across the road in behind me as to sound like the cow was walking away. Immediately after the call he walks out facing head on in front of me. By this time shooting time is nearing the end. I only had the head and chest and didn't want him running far due to the hilly country. I put the crosshairs in between his boards and lowered the gun until I had the scope on the skull. I was either going to kill him or miss him. Earlier in the day we decided we were going to pull out of the Irving property on day 2. Just hardly any mooe sign.. POW! the moose disappears. We heard no thrashing or running away. I wasn't sure I hit him or he somehow snuck out of the area. He was only 65 yards away. We went back to the truck and got the flashlights. Returned and finally recovered the moose after vearing on the wrong line of sight at dark thinking he was standing over further to the right. I went back to the truck which I drove right in to where I was standing. As I was pretty much convinced I had missed and worried of having to blow the second morning looking for a moose, my buddy calls out "I got him" "He's right here". He dropped right in his tracks as I shot him direcly on the side of the head. Never flinched after. Stone dead! We were looking about 15 yards to far to the right.

Nice bull with good fronts. An awesome animal in the end.

Pictures to follow!

As for Zone 12. I will never put in for that zone again. Half of it is private and gated by Irving making it a zoo to find a spot on the crown land with all the hunters. Besides Irving has cut the hell out of the area on their land after obtaining it from Bowater 6 years ago. Areas as far as you can see clear cutted then sprayed. Not the moose sign you would expect for an area that has controlled access and very little harvest. I travelled 3 full days and the first day of moose season scouting and lookinig around several lakes. I had 2010 google maps aeiral photos for the entire area in through the McKeil gates and the Dungarvon gate entrance points. Irving ruined a great piece of land in my opinion. What a frigging joke! I've seen more moose sign just outside of Moncton on the Route 126 and also in Albert county. This B.S. about the rut not being on and the moose aren't travelling is hot air. Lots of moose sign around Albert county and up around the Sevogle prior to this year's season. Irving just ruined a large piece of land.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congrats on the bull! I hunted deer in that piece with ridgerunner 3 years ago or so. You could tell then that it was going to turn into 1 giant wasteland. Give it a while and when the softwood does finally grow up and the vegetation in the plantations feed comes back it should be a good piece.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks very much Russ14.

The tumor on my spine came back as benign. BIG relief indeed! So yes I was able to get out and scout but still have my torn rotator cuff. It's been a tuff year with injuries and unexpected diagnosis from the doctors but at least my back pain is under control with injections.

Very nice to be around and enjoy the fall!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Thanks very much Russ14.

The tumor on my spine came back as benign. BIG relief indeed! So yes I was able to get out and scout but still have my torn rotator cuff. It's been a tuff year with injuries and unexpected diagnosis from the doctors but at least my back pain is under control with injections.

Very nice bo be around and enjoy the fall!
Glad to hear you're doing better. The fall is gonna do you good I'm sure. Hope you have a good deer hunt.

BTW, 20pt bull on the first day, the spot wasn't so bad after all eh?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much Bull's Eye for the info on Zone 12 gate Irving porperty. It really helped make the scouting easier. I imagine that place would be a moose paradise without the spraying. The lay of the land and the numerous lakes is ideal. Gettinig the bull was due to hard scouting. Unbelievable how hard we ran around looking for sign covering every major dirt road and just about every road in around the lakes. Just very little moose sign for the rut to peak my interest. We ended up settling for a spot that had a few trees hooked and it payed off on thursday evening. Other hunters we spoke to while scouting and hunting were seeing the same we were. Not much! On a good note I did see more deer and bears. Many deer tracks around the fresh new cuttings.

Right now I am mentally and physically drained!
. The last day in Quebec took it's toll on me. The bull went over 300 yards and half a day spent running a chainsaw and clearing bush wasn't easy. Hauling that moose out wasn't easy. My back wasn't making it any easier. I don't want to do that every day. I might skip the Quebec trip next year if I get to go in New Brunswick. Just too much at once with no time to rest.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Really nice bull. Congrats and good luck with your health issues. Must have caused a bit of discomfort in your shoulder after the shot.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Great pics and congrats on your bull, BuckNut!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
beauty bull there...man your hitting it right...monster whitetail buck last fall then this big boy

good for you!!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Congrats on the beautiful bull! It was great meeting you and your buddy. We were in the same boat as you and didn't see much sign. We did end up connecting with a nice six pointer, Thursday, right at last light and we were driving we we came across him, coming across a cut. Did you happen to get him behind the gates?

We did see two to three deer and a bunch of bear!

Congrats again and I can very well imagine you are played out!

Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts