New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing alot of looking at the various arrows company's trying to pick which arrows I want to use for hunting next year. I've been mostly looking at Easton, Carbon Express, and Gold Tips and using the archery software posted on another thread to look at how various arrows might work statitcally with my bow. Given that a given value of KE can be achieved differently based on speed or weight what do you guys feel is more important to you? What would be the happy medium?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have tried allot of arrows(ALLOT) I shoot a whole bunch and shoot everything.I have blown arrows up ,stuck em in tree's ,rabbits ,coyote's moose ,deer.and even pheasents.And I think there are very few arrows I have not tried unless they are new in 2011.I have had best luck with Gold tip Hunters xt arrows/384 grains ready to go with 350 spine 28 inches long.Iob 307 fps.tough as hell.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have been using small diameter Easton Axis arrows for hunting for many years. At 9 GPI they are a bit heavier than my Gold Tips, but I still love them for hunting. If you are shooting a really fast bow then you will "still" get more speed out of these arrows than I am with my Tribute (280 FPS with the Axis)And even at this slower speed they have great penetration. I would not hesitate to use them for moose hunting (if I ever get a chance to hunt moose with my bow) I also like the small diameter too. I think it makes an arrow all that much more sturdy.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
FOr whitetail. I used 380 gr arrow last year, and this year my arrow is a bit lighter, and im not worried at all about the light arrow for deer, in my mind anyhting over 360 grain is plenty for the speed im shooting, Now if i draw a moose liscence I will try to go into 410-430 grain arrows.

Some may think my 360 grain arrow is to light but i dont, Lots of kids in the states are shooting 200 and some grain arrows and having no problem. Moose or elk, Id like to see 400-500 grain arrow min, but for deer i think its no problem nice fixed blade with 1-1/8 hole should push threw any deer at my speed. Maybe if i had a rage 2 inch hole i woud try to be in 400 grain

·
Registered
909 Posts
Seeing as I am somewhat lazy I took the easy route.I set up pinwheel with all my bow data then went it to find best spine for my set up.1 with best energy/speed.Amazing the amount of choices and varation of speeds.From 290fps to 325.But for me the best ones had iob speed of 305 to 307 with energy of 85lbs.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
well what im thinking of doing bowtech is actually when it comes hunting season well a month before ill swicth over to 125gr head, then ill have nice foc and also will be 385 gr or so, i think that will be a big plus for my setup, my arrow gpi is around 7.4 i think it is and my gr per pound is 5.65 rite now as i just cranked down to 64lbs, but if i go to 125gr head ill be above 6, witch will probably make me a bit happier for hunting, But its not gonna matter because im getting my moose liscence anyways so ill be shooting something around 430 grains lol

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
LOL, I think I misunderstood the first post
I erased my other replies...

My final answer is that I don't worry about KE.

I don't even get 60ft-lb of KE but that is enough for anything in NB. I pick my arrow based on what I want in an arrow and then pick the spine that I need to get good arrow flight.

Just remember that to get an increase of 10% in KE, by increasing arrow weight, you give up about 25% of your speed with the same set-up.

Get a quiet Bow with an easy holding weight that I can hold waiting for a good shot, medium weight arrows that will give me a little speed but more importantly are quiet, good proven BH, know my range...what more is there to worry about

What would be the happy medium?
Answer to that is 7-8 gr/lb

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered a doz Easton Flatline Surgicals today from Bryan and a package of G5 T3 broadheads. I think that will give a nice combination of speed,weight, and a flat trajectory and KE. If I'm so lucky to get drawn a moose tag I may change to a heavier arrow like a Carbon express Piledriver or something in that range with maybe a fixed blade broadhead. Would be nice to get a moose tage and try with a bow since I've shoot 2 moose with my rifle. It would really change up the style of hunt.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Not trying to be a prick, but i couldnt stand hunting with the t3 broadhead, every litle movement i made the damn things would open up. I ended up not using them and whent with a fixed blade, that flew better then the t3 and i had no worries anymore,

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info nbdh. I'll give them a try this summer and see how sensitive they are and if I don't like them I'll switch to something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts