New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just got in late last night from the Gaspe peninsula. Arrived around 3:30 am.

Shot a nice 9 point bull with my crossbow on Saturday evening. Got some great video footage of the 4 moose that came out and the 2 bulls. Got the kill shot recorded thanks to my great girlfriend. What a sport!

It was a double lung shot that completly passed through. Found the arrow immediately after thanks to the lighted knock. The arrow broke a rib on impact and passed through the lung. It passed through the second lung but far back. This bull still ran 340 yards after the shot. HARDLY any blood and very difficult to track when it got dark. Went back the next morning praying all night for no rain since that's all it seems to do in Gaspe. Went back to the trailer and reviewed the shot on the TV screen. Looked good but the bull did turn to me at the last second and was quatering to only noticing this on the TV. I would have liked to have taken him a bit farther ahead and he more then likely would have piled up within 100 yards.

It's unbelievable how fast these animals can cover ground. After the shot I watched him run away downd a skidder trail. He covered 150 yards then went out of sight. I was waiting for him to tople over or get whobily but never did.

Went back in the morning to the last spec of blood and looked around on tall rasberry bushes for more drops on the leaves. Very hard going! Got really discouraged and then finally came upon some torn up moss at the back of the cutting where his hooves dug in. Went a bit further and found another drop. Got the girlfriend to stay there as I followed the tracks very easily in the moss and leaves once in the woods. Went about 70 yards and saw him piled up from about 35 yards in open softwoods. WHAT a relief.

Now the hard part. Getting a trail blazed for the bike. Managed to finally get a trail done after much clearing of deadfalls and stumps. The bike had a hard time getting up some of the hills so I had to cut the bull in half and hauled him out that way.. Long day and got everything packed and heading for home by 10:00 pm yesterday. Just made it to the registration station at closing time and got in to Moncton at about 3:30 am this morning. Made it to bed by 5:30 am. Wicked tired.

Here's the crazy part. 4 years ago my cousin and I went with our compounds and he wounded one at the same exact spot and ran down the same skidder rut. As I was looking for my moose I came across his pile of bones and the headgear from his. At this point I walked out of the woods with a rack and still hadn't found mine.. Needless to say we probaly walked by his moose from 4 years ago to within 50 yards. What luck!

Pictures to follow!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Congrats...Hurry and post the vid as well..

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No issues now! I ripped one guys nose off one year and never had a problem since. They leave me alone!

Just kidding! Actually I've only been asked a few times by guys what I was doing up there and each time I kept my cool. One guy accused me of putting up a sign and I told him to go fly a kite! Never had an issue. But then again I tend to stay away from them and hunt areas where it's hard to get in. I've only ever gone one year with 3 other guys. Every time has been myself and another person. I don't bring big crowds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts