New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a loaded question!! And I'm not looking for any scientific answers. I would just like to see when you guys and gals think the "peak of the rut" might be in this part of the world? This being New Brunswick of course!

I know it can change from one year to another, but over all...

For me personally, if I could only hunt a few day of the season, and choose those days, I would pick between November 11th and the 20th.

My first "good" buck (13 points) came on a November 18th. I shot it at 37 ft. behind a thicket as I was using a doe bleet call. I could hear him grunting and comming, but couldn't see him before that.

Another of my trophies (10 points) was following a "hot doe" on a November 13th (which happened to be a Friday that year... bad luck for him).

Thanks for reading.

Now it your turn!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
From my experience in the big woods, bucks usually start putting down the majority of their scrapes, about the third week of October. About when bow season is ending. But a lot of those initial scrapes do not get visited much again. Only a few select ones. That's why it is a big gamble to sit and watch just one scrape all season. I would say that I believe then that the "peak" of the rut would be about the first week of November. But actually the rutting activity is at its most feverish much later than that, when most of the does have been bred and bucks are competing for the ones still left. Of course I am basing this all on my rifle hunting days back when deer numbers were larger in the big woods. And the buck to doe ratio was a lot better. Nowadays there are so many does around in some areas that the rut scenarios are all screwed up!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I guess we'd have to know what you mean by "peak of the rut"

As archerynutNB said I have seen more chasing activity later in the season but have had my best luck intercepting bucks on the move around rememberance day, before peak breeding. Most of our scap activity happens the last week of October here.
NB breeding dates look like this....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant by "peak rut", where the bucks are almost "suicidal"! Where they lose their "heads" and follow their "desires"!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Back a few years ago when I was feeding deer at home after the season(don't do it anymore), I had a buck come in and chase the does all around in circles. This was just a few days after Christmas!

So I would say that the ("huntable") "suicidal" peak of the rut is the last week of the season!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've found that after the 11th or 12th of November the Bucks really start to feel their Oats , and from then to the end of the season (be it the 17th or the 23rd) the woods become an exciting place to be .

G

·
Concur with the others for the most part. If I had to choose 1 week of holidays....it will always be third week of rifle season (Remembrance day time frame). Seems like the big boys are prowling hard on on there feet in daylight that week doing laps around the bar, hoping to find a girlfriend before last call (sound familiar). The last week of rifle season,however, I have noticed sometimes things get slow wrt sightings, depending on where you hunt and how many deer are around. I think the "pros" call it lockdown where the bucks hookup with does, who in turn retreat to thick cover for 48-72 hours of breeding. Can get pretty quiet last week some years with deer appearing to vanish for a short spell.

I think week 3 of rifle season is thee best time to hunt the rut.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've heard guys talk about the best week to hunt deer in NB before . What many don't understand is that our season can swing a week depending on the year , it's not consistent from one year to the next .

Our earliest closing date is the 17th of Nov and the latest is the 23rd . So be careful when you book your holidays for the 3rd week of Deer Season Tracy because often times the Remembrance Day week is the 4th (last) week of Deer Season .

·
Registered
565 Posts
So heres your scientific answer...Fawns need to be born roughly in the last wweek of may or the first week of June. Before that time they run the risk of late frosts or wet spring weather that would kill the new borns, after that date there isn't enough time for them to grow strong enough to survive the next winter or early bad weather in the fall.
The gestation period for whitetail deer is about 200 days. If you do the math and work backwards then there are 151 days until June 1 so the does would have to be bred within 7 days of the 316th day of the year for them to have fawns within the 1 week period on either side of June 1st, which happens to be Nov 15 most years. Therefore the peak activity of the rut would be 1 week on either side of that date. Having said that bucks will chase does that haven't been bred well into December however that would be well outside the PEAK of the rut although rutting behaviour would still be observed

G

·
GG,

Good point, forgot about that "scheduling" part DNR screws with annually....I stand corrected...so I will re-state my perceptions and suggestions and cite anywhere on or about 5 days before and/or 5 days after Remembrance Day is, for me, is thee best time if I have to choose a week to be hunting bigger bucks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree with the others who said the last week of hunt would be best time to get them in their strongest part of the (huntable) rut. I think weather has alot to do with it, the sooner the crisp cool weather comes the sooner the rut starts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The rut starts with or without cool weather since it is photoperiod dependant. You may see more daytime activity with cooler days.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I said that wrong, the rut starts with or without the cold weather, but getting into the more active part or prime of the rut seems to start with the cold weather. Every year I have noticed the odd rub and scrape when its warm, but after a good week long cold snap there is alot more scrapes and rubs frequented alot more often. Could be coincidence but every year I find it the same way after a good cold snap.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There's no such thing as coincidences . There's definitely more deer activity during the rut when the weather is seasonal (cool/cold) than when the temperatures are above normal .

Proof ? The proof is in the woods , after two or three of these cold days in a row deer sightings are up , deer sign in the form of scrapes and rubs and tracks crossing woods roads/trails are all noticably increased .

Then the weather turns warm and this increased activity shuts down . Not to say that deer activity shuts down , but this noticed increase in activity does .

You don't have to agree , but I'm in the woods from one end of the rifle season to the other and these are my observations .

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
GG X2

Cool weather increases activity, not even the deer like to work when its too hot

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
GG X2

Cool weather increases activity, not even the deer like to work when its too hot
Very good reading in the October Deer and Deer hunting magazine about this, as we know the season will be over before peak rut, the article confirms this...........
Cdog.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts