New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi guys and Gals...
I was just wondering who is planning a spring turkey hunt to the USA and where you are going? I just finished planning my spring turkey hunt to Vermont last night. This is an annual thing for me. I started hunting spring turkey back in 1988 in Vermont and I look forward to the trip every year! As the wind whips snow flakes around under the dusk to dawn light by our deer feeders, and the deer come and go there, I'm busy in my office doing my trip planning...negotiating a good price and booking a hotel close to our hunt sites. We have already obtained "hunting permission" from land owners down there. I purchase my hunting license on line and print it off as well as the ATF form I need to fax to ATF to request a permit to bring my shotgun into the USA on our trip. I plan our route making sure I include a "shop opp" to Cabelas and Kittery Trading Post and Dicks on the way. I program my Tom-Tom GPS for the trip and make a "Map Quest" print off of our trip route as well. When I started my annual spring turkey hunt pilgrimage some twenty plus years ago, I either took a friend along or went by myself but in recent years, that turned into a group of six or eight guys and we all look forward to it now every year. All the gear checking and planning and watching turkey hunting videos and practice calling helps those long winter nights go fast. Soon, we'll be sitting on a hillside listening to the harsh "gobbling" of a mad Tom turkey as he approaches the decoys we've got laid out. He'll display like I've seen them display a hundred times and as my heart beats a little faster, he'll walk into shooting range.And then...Ka-Bang! My twelve ga. will spit flame and shot in the early light of dawn and Mr. Tom will collapse, kicking and fluttering. Man! Its not deer hunting but its comparable and challenging...and its addictive! So...if you haven't tried spring time wild turkey hunting...you should and if our government has the foresight... maybe someday, you won't have to go away to hunt. You'll be able to spend your trip money right here at home...and bag your turkeys here as well! But right now...plan to go away to hunt and play! Ray

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'll be heading just across the border into Maine. My cousin has a piece of land just outside of Bangor to hunt. I hunted down south paris way last year and seen some hen's and had one nice Tom come in at 70 yards. He was on the other side of the 2 strand electric fence and wouldnt go under it. He just paced back and forth for about 10 minutes then went the other way. I figured he'd been bit by the fence before..LOL I know I have and it snaps ya. The farmers down there were very willing to give you permission to kill the Turkeys. I have been to NY turkey hunting with success but have not killed one in Maine yet. I'll see if I can upload the turkey stake a friend of mine patented from NY. He goes to Nashville each year to the big show and sells a bunch there. My project for the day.LOL

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention he is blind now from being shot in a Turkey hunting accident. He still hunts with the help of his sons or if he's after a bear I take him out. He has a special gun and bow that has a green laser that you can see to align him up. AMAZING GUY

Article on Gabe

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got my hunt booked with Dillon's Gunsmoke Lodge in Brownville, ME. I'll be hunting there for a week - going down Sunday and hunting Monday through Saturday, and coming back on the following Sunday. I think that their price is pretty good for a weeks accommodations and a fully guided hunt - at $650 + tax and license fees. I'm going the week of May 15th, and I'm really excited. This will be my first turkey hunt!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey NBGuide...
That is great that you have some turkey hunting close by in Maine! The blind hunter doesn't let things get in the way of his hunting does he...and that is great! If life serves you up leemons...well, you MAKE LEMONADE and that sounds like his philosophy! I('m not familiar with the "Turkey stake" but I'd like to know something about it. Good luck on your hunt "NBG" That electric fence episode just sucks but that'ss turkey hunting, isn't it. I know i have had toms in close but for one reason or another, couldn't convince them to come into range! Oh well...

Megabucks....The deal you got at Dillon's Gun Smoke Lodge is a great deal! I have met Wayne at the State of Maine Sportsman Show last year. He came to our booth saying he wanted to meet me since he has read a lot of my articles in the outddoor mags and knows that I guide hunters too...and we both share the "Dillon" name. Seemed to be a good guy! yOU SHOULD HAVE A GREAT WEEK DOWN THERE SO BAG A BIG TOM TURKEY!

Lots of luck to you guys and any others doin' what we are come spring! Ray

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was invited on a turkey hunt in Maine 3 years ago, by a buddy outside of Bangor, what a great hunt, we hunted a dairy farm. I was surprised at how many birds we saw that morning,we took 2 birds,1 tom that weighed 21 lbs and a jake that weighed 16lbs, the hunt far outweighed my expectations,it was a great experience,it was a real thrill when those birds were answering Mike back and made there way across the field towards us

·
Registered
726 Posts
Pred 1 here is a link to the turkey stake in action. Its called a Sidewinder Motion Stake.

Look at season 2 episode 1 and season 2 episode 4. This is Gabe JR. in the videos.

Sidewinder Motion Stake

This stake has made many a Tom into a turkey speedy on the grill. LOL

·
Registered
489 Posts
Checked out Gunsmoke Lodge and that is a sweet deal...REALLY!! I am going to contact them and see if I can arrange something as well.
Now....to go work on my wife......"Honey, I want to go to Maine turkey hunting".......

·
Registered
155 Posts
Rob - as of two weeks ago, I had my pick at whatever week I wanted to go - so I would assume that they likely still have availability. And, Wayne is excellent at answering any e-mails sent his way and has been extremely informative. I'm quite excited to go down in May.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Swampthang, thanks for the input, Sounds like that was a great hunt with a couple of nice birds taken, especially the twenty one pounder! NB Guide, thanks for the "heads up" on the Sidewinder motion turkey stake also. Sounds like a good product to have on a turkey hunt! Enjoyed the videos and I'm gonna check out the "stake", maybe get one to take on our Vermont trip. Talked with my buddy in Vermont last night. Where he lives, they got eight to ten inches of snow but it rarely stays for long and the turkeys are everywhere, especially picking bugs in the manure piles at the dairy farms. Jim, my buddy, said he's got six or eight Toms and a bunch of Jakes and hens wandering around his farm daily and he see's 'em everywhere around the country side too...and the "invite" for us to come down is wide open! Can't beat that. and Rob...you'd better say sweet things to your wife so you can put together a hunt too! Stateside, the turkeys are awaitin' us "Maritimers" and for anyone who has never hunted turkeys but loves huntin', you just gotta try this stuff! It is fantastic! Ray

·
Registered
155 Posts
PredatorOne - do you happen to have the fax number for the ATF handy? I've gotta get my paperwork in too

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PredatorOne - do you happen to have the fax number for the ATF handy? I've gotta get my paperwork in too
Megabucks...
Toll- free fax number is...(866)257-2749 You need to have your hunting license pre-purchased and fax a copy of it along as well with your downloaded ATF 6NIA form.
good luck!
Ray

·
Registered
155 Posts
Megabucks...
Toll- free fax number is...(866)257-2749 You need to have your hunting license pre-purchased and fax a copy of it along as well with your downloaded ATF 6NIA form.
good luck!
Ray
Thanks Ray! Got my license in the mail today, so I'll get that sent in ASAP!

Megan

·
Registered
726 Posts
I was looking over the turkey rules/laws and seen that zone 28 opened this year. Basically can start hunting the south side of route 9 only 6 miles from Calais. Been seeing turkeys in Alexander at my parents place all fall and winter thus far. Be nice to kill a Tom right there. Also Ray you can kill 2 bearded birds in the spring in Maine. Just need to buy the extra tag. Zone 28 makes for a nice quick hunting area for me. Getting a little more pumped about the hunt. I'll be videoing the action with the Canon HD also. Hopefully get some good footage for people to enjoy.

sidenote: Ray, I am a subscriber to NWSJ and love reading your articles along with all the others in that paper.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey NB Guide...
Thanks for the info and I'm pleased you enjoy my articles in NWSJ! We've already got Vermont booked this spring but I am interested in the Maine hunt...maybe for next year. Keep me posted, NBG on what happens with you and your hunt...and kill a couple of big ones! best of the hunt to you my friend!
Ray

1 - 15 of 15 Posts