New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having more close encounters than usual with Porky's this year? I have been out 4 times with my dog and he has been nailed twice. Tonight was the worst, he decided he was going to jump on the Porky and had hundreds of fine quills in his paws. I just finished operating.

A few are still embedded under the skin, does anyone have any tips they can share. The vet said wait and see if they work themselves out. I figure the dog will be down and out for quite some time.

Griff.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Had a pointer one time who hated porkies with a passion, would attack them every time it saw one. Once I pulled quills for an hour, took him to the vet and we pulled for 3 more hours. He had a number work out over the next few weeks. He was down for three weeks and lost about 20lbs because he had most of them in his mouth/throat. He wasn't back on his feet 3 weeks and did the exact same thing again. the vet said he would do it every time then as he associated the pain with porkies, ended up getting rid of him

·
Registered
129 Posts
my cousins shepard got into a porky last year. he was picking the quills out when this old fella down the street told him to put vinegar on them.so he filled up a coffee mug with white vinegar and poured it onto the dogs snout. he said it took about 2 days but they softened right up and came out super slick.
hope this helps
WW

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well just got in the house and finished pulling 56-60 quills our of my lab for the second time this fall/winter. We were up back doing a little wood and she was off scouting around the area and come back with a face full. We finished the wood first before I bothered with the quills. If she is stupid enough to get stuck she can wait till the work is done before I take them out.
Morgan and I are going "Pig" hunting tomorrow!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow, that sucks Bowtech!
Had my first experience this summer with dog vs. porky. I think I dealt with it worse than the dog did!
Hope that was my one & only time!

Good luck "pig" hunting tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well we got the "varmit". Went out back and cruised for porky tracks and chewings. I just about cried when I saw one of our big clear beech trees chewed around the base.
Found a traditional toilet and followed the tracks down through the various trails when I heard the dog barking in back of us. Went back up and she was digging around a big spruce root hanging over the drainage. Looked underneath it and sure enough there was a porky. I kicked the debris out over the roots and Mr. Porky made a run for it...he didn't get very far!
Brought him home as it was a younger porky and the boys skinned him out and gutted him. I cut him up and he is waiting for cooking as we speak. The boys are pretty anxious to try porky!
Jess and I had some at a Wild Game Supper once and she liked it better than any of the "newer" type game she tried that night so she agreed to cook it for the boys as long as it was all prepared and ready.
Anyone know of any good Porky recipes?!?!?!?

We also saw quite a few deer tracks and two sets of Bobcat tracks, suprisingly we didn't see much in the way of any coyote tracks recently. Must have moved on for a bit.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Spent $300 this summer to get my dog de quilled since they had to put him out to take out all the quills in his mouth and around his face. I wish I would have spent a 5 cent shell on the porky pine to prevent all that.

Did you keep the hide off that porky?
bon appetite

1 - 9 of 9 Posts