New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good porky recipes??

I'm trying one out tonight for supper. We picked up one recipe off the internet which was pretty simple. Will let you know how it turned out.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Anyone have any good porky recipes??

I'm trying one out tonight for supper. We picked up one recipe off the internet which was pretty simple. Will let you know how it turned out.
Holy smokes Bowtech I'll ship up some deer and moose meat if times are so tough your eatin porky's...LOL

I'm interested in how it turns out also...

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
No thanks Bowtech, I really don't care for your recipe, I guess you could say I'm a "picky" eater LOL!

Like NBGuide says, I will also contribute to substain your family in these trying times LOL!

plenty of deer and moose in my freezer this year!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
All donations welcome!

As you know I didn't shoot any big game animals this year and I'm down to shooting porcupines to feed my large family. With that I have found a couple recipes online to make them a little more palatable.

Last night we tried Porky Pot Roast

1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Minced Garlic
1/4 tsp Pickling Spice
1/4 cup Wesson oil
1/2 cup water
cut onion and celery
Put cut meat in dutch oven, pour oil over, add spices, onion and celery. Turn burner on low and simmer for 3hours, stirring occassionaly.

Actually it was good and everyone had a serving, I took the last of it to work today and one of our secretaries tried it and thought it was great. No one else had the intestinal fortitude to sample it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
How hard was it to skin out?? Probably the only thing in NB I havent skun out. My father used to eat Porky's growing up. He was the youngest of 16 kids so you ate alot of different meats at the dinner table..LOL

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Indians used to turn them on a stick over a fire to burn the quills and cook at the same time?

My dad had tried some this way in his early days, I'll ask him.

I'll need your personal information and address Tom for meat transfer permit LOL!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey guys,don't knock if you haven't tried it! Young quill pig hind quarters are delicious and tender,and what's more,if you nail a younger one there aren't that many quills. I normally just roll it over and skin down to expose the hind quarters then just seperate with a sharp knife.I have also had beaver quarters as well as squirrel.All are vegetarians and they taste excellent.Do em up in a homemade batter and bake em or just use shake and bake.Tastey!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Bullseye;
We used a similar technique to what you are talking about, but horribly messed up! We used an old method of making a fire and letting it get down to coals (no red glow). We then threw it in whole and built up the coals around it. Turned it about a half an hour in, left it for another half an hour. The quills were all gone and it was the ugliest little roast I have ever seen. We then gutted it, cut the head and feet off, brushed off the ashes and whacked the salt and pepper to it! Needless to say it tasted like hot garbage! That being said, it fed a couple of guys who had been in the woods for a couple of days with very little food. Wouldn't suggest this method, but thought you may like the story.
Mike

·
Registered
480 Posts
Bullseye;
We used a similar technique to what you are talking about, but horribly messed up! We used an old method of making a fire and letting it get down to coals (no red glow). We then threw it in whole and built up the coals around it. Turned it about a half an hour in, left it for another half an hour. The quills were all gone and it was the ugliest little roast I have ever seen. We then gutted it, cut the head and feet off, brushed off the ashes and whacked the salt and pepper to it! Needless to say it tasted like hot garbage! That being said, it fed a couple of guys who had been in the woods for a couple of days with very little food. Wouldn't suggest this method, but thought you may like the story.
Mike
Had you gutted it prior to cooking it, it would've tasted much better. By not doing so, the intestinal stench likely spread throughout the beast, spoiling the meat.
All critters in, above, or under the woods are edible. Some are more palatable than others, though, but that's why they invented spices.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Stroover; Nope he was too prickly LOL. This was one of the hunting memories I have as a teen many moons ago heading to the woods with a gun, some hermits to drink at the camp and no food! I don't drink at the camp much anymore and I definately bring some vittles now. The plan was for us to eat what we killed, hence the porcupine feast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts