New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year on the sunday after deer season closed there was a good snowfall, so I started thinking about next year and thought I would try to find a good honey hole. I started walking to my usual area and noticed some nice size buck tracks on the opposite side of the road. I followed these tracks to a new area that is literally untouched by human and peppered with scraps and fresh tracks and a heavily used trail. Over the summer I built 2 stands so I can choose which one by wind direction.
Here is my question, the deer are there during hunting season because its deep in the woods an humans don't go to that area if I start to bait with apples and using artificial scents are the deer going to catch on and leave the area.
So should I do nothing put my time in and hope we cross paths or should I try to lure the buck in and risk leaving human scents.

Any feed back would be good thanks

G

·
From what you've said, sounds like a place they go to avoid you and everyone else as the season progresses.

That said, I'd say Low Impact is the way to go. Forget the apple piles and extra trips in there...stay out until your ready to hunt it. Good call building your stands early summer, now the hard part is to stay out of there...definately the biggest downside to baiting and checking trailcams is the constant "in and out" that occurs.

Sounds exciting, good luck.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Minimal impact gets my vote to. Don't do anything or even be in there till your ready to hunt. Once the season gets going well and the deer vacate to lower pressure areas as you've described I would slip in there and hunt the stand best suited to the wind direction of the day and hunt it all day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys that's what I was thinking but just wasn't sure. I am definitely not going to go there for any reason until the third week and put my time in. It will be quite the drag bringing him out of there so he better be worth it!!! Lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks guys that's what I was thinking but just wasn't sure. I am definitely not going to go there for any reason until the third week and put my time in. It will be quite the drag bringing him out of there so he better be worth it!!! Lol
Good luck with the spot, sounds promising. I have the same plan of attack as the other guys..myself I never bait I am a grunter. I like the challenge of the sport and try to make it as challenging and rewarding as possible. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against people who bait, I just find it more rewarding having a grunt fest with a smasher...I am due for a good one this year I hope hahahahaha

·
Registered
76 Posts
At most I might lay a mock scrape in my afternoon area. Just spray it with some dominant buck. I hope this will make a buck hang a bit tighter in my area and respond better to any grunt calling and rattling I do. The presence of a "buck" in HIS area will definitely keep him interested.

For my morning spot, I am more familiar with deer movement. I know that the deer leave their beds and travel through the bottle neck almost every morning and so I'm leaving well enough alone there. At least for the first few weeks. If no deer by then I may lay a mock scrape.

I also am not a baiter, not that there's anything wrong with it. I've never met someone who baits who has any higher a success ratio than another guy who hunts as much. Too many times have I seen bears spreading their scent at apple piles and, after all their efforts, having 99% of deer that end up at piles and licks be doe with bucks only coming in at night. Just my experience, which is obviously not representative, because there are guys who shoot bucks off them every year.

FR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts