New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed in some of the other topics some people have referred to the need to improve the way NB controls there land access situation. I know there are several diferent sides to this topic such as the posting of land / some peoples lack of respct for others stands and such . I know there are a lot of people having trespass issues and others who feel that the woods should be there for the enjoyment of all . Nowadays a lot of people have spent alot of time and money on there properties ; food plots / agri land/ camps or hunting groups, I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on our present system and how it could be made better or would like to share there own experieces they may have encountered and how they resolved them??????????????????

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Biggest issue is that we have weak trespass laws in NB. It was set up on the old common law which only allows you to ask them to leave the first time. Mind you you can "detain" them until you get their name and use force to remove them if they refuse. They can only be charged with subsequent offenses. Even then, they are only fined based on usage or what it would cost as a fee based on percentage of how long it would take to cross your land in a day. They are liable for any damage they do but you are liable if they hurt themselves while trespassing on your property.

The trespass law with respect to motor vehicles is a bit better as far as penalty but they have to catch them doing it which is next to impossible unless the guy leaves his vehicle there to go hunting or something.

IMO, the best thing would be to have a law change and treat it as any other owned property such as your house or vehicle with stiff fines.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have had most of my land posted for years.

Always the same problems with the same people,same kind of people.

I view the landless people in 2 category's, (1) those that are jealous and have no respect for the landowner or the land or the law.Most of these would be classified as takers. (2) those that realize it is a privilege to have access to private land.Most of these would be classified as givers. There are more takers than givers.

Kinda cut and dry I know,but my experiences made me how I am. Had a woods road posted,guy with a civic goes in gets stuck on a Saturday morning , hunts all day,while I work all day.Comes after dark wants towed out.I read him riot act,tow him out charge $20. Next Saturday same thing same place,charge him $50 to tow out.I then cut a tree across road. Next Saturday same thing same place, only this time front of civic pieces are still in my woods road. Guy never came back to get them. Whole reason I had woods road posted was because it was fresh bulldozed,looked nice and smooth,but was soft. My tractor did more damage to my own road,that I paid for than the civic did.

I have hunted in Sask and the laws there are a lot different.No hunting means no hunting,hunting with written permission means just that,no trespassing means no access by any kind of vehicle hunting on FOOT only .All kinda simple for me. Others from the east that hunt out there take a while to understand some of these simple concepts.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have had most of my land posted for years.

Always the same problems with the same people,same kind of people.

I view the landless people in 2 category's, (1) those that are jealous and have no respect for the landowner or the land or the law.Most of these would be classified as takers. (2) those that realize it is a privilege to have access to private land.Most of these would be classified as givers. There are more takers than givers.

Kinda cut and dry I know,but my experiences made me how I am. Had a woods road posted,guy with a civic goes in gets stuck on a Saturday morning , hunts all day,while I work all day.Comes after dark wants towed out.I read him riot act,tow him out charge $20. Next Saturday same thing same place,charge him $50 to tow out.I then cut a tree across road. Next Saturday same thing same place, only this time front of civic pieces are still in my woods road. Guy never came back to get them. Whole reason I had woods road posted was because it was fresh bulldozed,looked nice and smooth,but was soft. My tractor did more damage to my own road,that I paid for than the civic did.

I have hunted in Sask and the laws there are a lot different.No hunting means no hunting,hunting with written permission means just that,no trespassing means no access by any kind of vehicle hunting on FOOT only .All kinda simple for me. Others from the east that hunt out there take a while to understand some of these simple concepts.
I agree

·
utopiahunter
1,446 Posts
mostly crown in my area with private mixed in with it . my family land is boardeerd by private aND CROWN its not posted . there are trails through it and its fair deer hunting I have never had any problems with people doing anything this year i had 5 diffrent bucks on trail cam 4 where shot on the roads edge or on crown land 1 still running around . as for trespassers im shure theres a few but its not posted because when im out for a walk in the woods i cross many property lines some i dont even no that i did soooooo unless we want to be totally AMERICAN leave it the way it is . aholes are always going to be aholes no matter what the laws say..

·
Registered
481 Posts
mostly crown in my area with private mixed in with it . my family land is boardeerd by private aND CROWN its not posted . there are trails through it and its fair deer hunting I have never had any problems with people doing anything this year i had 5 diffrent bucks on trail cam 4 where shot on the roads edge or on crown land 1 still running around . as for trespassers im shure theres a few but its not posted because when im out for a walk in the woods i cross many property lines some i dont even no that i did soooooo unless we want to be totally AMERICAN leave it the way it is . aholes are always going to be aholes no matter what the laws say..
X2 Like it the way it is. If you want your land posted then post it. If you dont care then dont post it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i just wish the darn pot growers would grow on crown land not my property... nothing grinds my gears like coming across dope plants on my property... but foremost i dont believe in posting as long as you are able to maintain routine supervision you know what takes place on your property.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts