New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Norinco JW-105 in 223 this past spring and from day one have not been able to load a bullet in it. The bullet seems to slide in just fine but I can't close the bolt. With no bullet in the chamber, the bolt closes just fine. I've had a gunsmith look at it and he checked for burrs and stuff and was not able to find any problems. We've tried both military loads and commercial ammo but none seems to work. I bought it through Ellswoods Epps and they won't take it back - they regard it as a used firearm even though it's never actually been used.

Has anyone ever experienced similar problems and if so I hope you can help me out.

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think you have a headspace issue with your rifle. I know that a few years ago there was a run of those rifles sent to Canada and they all had the same issue not enough head space.( I had heard they were all sent back to China). I would recomend taking it to a gunsmith that can measure the headspace in your chamber. I would think you should be intitled to a complete refund. I dont want to bash norincos but I will anyway I had a jw23 and it was the worst rifle I ever had and I would never own another one.

·
Registered
317 Posts
And whoever sold you this rifle should be happy to take it back as to not get a bad rep among other hunters by refusing to take a rifle back that he sold that is clearly unsafe to use.

Is this rifle a norinco "bush ranger"?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. I was told that it may be a head space issue. I currently have the rifle at another gunsmith who is checking it out. As for the company I bought it from, it's in Manitoba and I'm in NB so rather than ship it and wait forever, I thought I'd have it checked out here first. As for their reply when I contacted them and told them that the rifle never functioned this was their response:
"We cannot simply exchange a rifle that is now considered used. We would need you to send the rifle into our store for evaluation on trade as a used firearm." That's one company that I will never deal with again. I guess you never know when you go mailorder.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Use a round, with the bullet removed. If it chambers, then its likely head space.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I purchased a Norinco JW-105 in 223 this past spring and from day one have not been able to load a bullet in it. The bullet seems to slide in just fine but I can't close the bolt. With no bullet in the chamber, the bolt closes just fine. I've had a gunsmith look at it and he checked for burrs and stuff and was not able to find any problems. We've tried both military loads and commercial ammo but none seems to work. I bought it through Ellswoods Epps and they won't take it back - they regard it as a used firearm even though it's never actually been used.

Has anyone ever experienced similar problems and if so I hope you can help me out.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts