New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one see the CNBC news show last week telling of the problems with the 700 Remington trigger problems since it was developed?
I had not heard of this but if you google it there is lots of info out there.

It seems that at times the 700 will fire without touching the trigger.
sometimes it will happen when moving the safety from safe to fire or when moving the bolt after chambering a fresh round.
Remington has settled out of court many times when this has happened and people have been hurt or killed, and there is paper work from decades ago that REM knows there is a problem.

I'm interested what anyone knows about this??

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Id advise people to do reshearch on any remington product before buying, There old stuff was great, but with some reading i think you will find lots of there new stuff is well not so great, shotguns first and for most, maybe alright if ya shoot a few boxes a year but if your a serious wing shooter or clay shooter, they suck, im not saying there old stuff just there newer stuff,

·
Registered
531 Posts
I caught part of it on Christmas Eve afternoon. It was on tv right before hunting season as well.

It was a hot topic at the camp this year, as one of the guys uses a Remington 700. Fortunately, he has not had any issues with his. Nor has anyone else that I know of that has one.

It was definitely a reminder to everyone to always treat their firearms with respect and not rely on the safety!
Once that cartridge is chambered, it's ready to fire!
Hope to never experience any of my firearms going off before my finger is in the trigger guard and I'm ready to fire!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
True there is a problem sometimes but only when guys, like me
, take the trigger mechanism out, dig all the wax out of the screw holes and start playing around with the sear engagement, over travel and pull weight which you are told NOT to do in the first place.

It would be like someone adjusting any deadly machinery, gun/car/bow/airplane, etc that could possibly slip/miss/jam or whatever and then it doesn't work like it is supposed to. Go figure

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would not worry about m700 triggers any more than any other bolt action rifle, the m700 is one of the best selling most popular rifles in the world and since there are so many in use all over the world, there is bound to be a few mishaps when you have so many of them in use and so many people not maintaining & cleaning them properly, and playing around with the triggers. Id keep the muzzle in a safe direction if I was using one though
, same as any other firearm.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Pretty bad when Walker himself told them time and time again to do something about it!!
Remington has always been known for lack lusture QC & CS(especially the last few yrs)

Have I Owned Any In The Past??? YES
Do I Own Any Now??? YES

Pretty bad when a billion dollar company cant fix a 5cent problem
!!
Try doing it now with millions of 700s out there...$$$$

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have a remington 700 with the 40X trigger that looks a lot different than the X-Mark Pro so which trigger are we talking about?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Pretty bad when Walker himself told them time and time again to do something about it!!
Remington has always been known for lack lusture QC & CS(especially the last few yrs)

Have I Owned Any In The Past??? YES
Do I Own Any Now??? YES

Pretty bad when a billion dollar company cant fix a 5cent problem
!!
Try doing it now with millions of 700s out there...$$$$
x2 Wonsky.....
The new xmark trigger is what walker designed for a fix to the problem 50 years ago, whats that tell ya??!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
CDOG You keep referring to the "problem" with the trigger. There is no "problem" with the trigger, the trigger is adjustable, which is a really nice feature because most manufacturers will fix it so you can't adjust the triggers because of liability issues. The problem is PEOPLE adjusting the triggers improperly. So now what happens is the people screw with the triggers, have an accident and blame the trigger which means the manufacturer will rethink their philosophy and make sure the triggers can't be adjusted anymore by stupid people, so the nice feature of the adjustable trigger disappears and Remington will have fixed the "problem"

·
Registered
565 Posts
[The new xmark trigger is what walker designed for a fix to the problem 50 years ago, whats that tell ya??!!
[/quote]

It tells me you would rather pay attention to sensationalized rhetoric than actual fact. The trigger is not the same as Walker designed 50 years ago, prior to the 700 being introduced and was felt to be an inferior design to the one they went with, because of the trigger connector, which the X- Mark trigger does not have, being 1 piece. Its a different design.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
[The new xmark trigger is what walker designed for a fix to the problem 50 years ago, whats that tell ya??!!
It tells me you would rather pay attention to sensationalized rhetoric than actual fact. The trigger is not the same as Walker designed 50 years ago, prior to the 700 being introduced and was felt to be an inferior design to the one they went with, because of the trigger connector, which the X- Mark trigger does not have, being 1 piece. Its a different design.
[/quote]
Sure you could mess with anything and screw it up, but why would walker get on tv and say there WAS an issue and build and reccomend a new type?
Sure they are trying to make a story and sell the show, sure this is an anti gun nuts wet dream, but there is a hint of truth in everything?
Remember they are a company like any other, the bottom line is what matters.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info and the links
Its not as if I believe everything I see/hear on TV and the links really give the 2nd side to the story as well as info that wasn't included when incidents of guns going off were on CNBC or questions were avoided such as "Did you adjust the trigger, are you a certified gunsmith, why didn't you have the gun pointed in a safe direction???????????????
Interesting to see what the police reports had to say compared to what CNBC reported!

Always 2 or more sides to a story and watch out of people looking for ratings or an agenda(axe to grind).

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
x2 Wonsky.....
The new xmark trigger is what walker designed for a fix to the problem 50 years ago, whats that tell ya??!!
$$$$ Before Lives!!!!
Ya Wouldnt Think It Though Would Ya!!
Ca'monnnnnnnnnnn

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have a Remington 700 with the 40X trigger which looks like this...I take it this is not the same trigger?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have followed this story since it first broke. I have my 700 BDL and eventually will be getting a 700 SPS 22-250. Knock on wood, I have not had any troubles and I have had my gun close to 18 years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Without a doubt I believe the issue with the Remington Model 700 is a clever attack by the anti-gun media. CNBC's documentary is extremely flawed and shows clips out of context.

I own several Remington Model 700 rifles and have not encountered any issues at all. You can start having incidents with any firearm if you missuse, abuse, fail to maintain or mess with the internal mechanics of the trigger assembly.

It's disappointing to read several negative posts by hunters/shooters on this forum who should be throwing their support behind Remington or any manufacturer that finds itself under attack from the media and anti-gunners. Just sayin...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts