New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Hey Tom...I'm hoping to harvest a mature doe with my bow and get the head/chest mount done. Any suggestions where and how to cut ? Good links to a "How To" ?

Never had a head done before so not very familiar with "caping".

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Tom...I'm hoping to harvest a mature doe with my bow and get the head/chest mount done. Any suggestions where and how to cut ? Good links to a "How To" ?

Never had a head done before so not very familiar with "caping".
Hey Tracey, for a full shoulder mount myself i like to have at least a foot behind the front legs and up, if you take it to a meat cutter to skin they will know how just make sure you tell them your mounting it, being a doe they make start cutting without asking. I also have no problem showing guys proper skinning for taxidermy in my shop just bring it in pal.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Here is a diagram for those who want to do their own....

·
Registered
797 Posts
Like Tom says leave a good foot behind the shoulder, a little extra is alot better than not enough.Leave that much brisket too, clear up between the front legs and past.Also tie your tag around the antler, dont cut through the ears if your mounting the deer..Sorry for Hijacking Tom-just thought taxidermists deal with enough issues, the more the hunter knows the better eh!!RR

G

·
Thanks guys. Between the info above and a quick search on UTube...I think I got 'er figured out. Never put much thought into it or researched it.
Again, it's a doe I'm hoping to get done (chest mount)...unless some "big freak nasty" buck poses for me in the next week or two within bow range. Always wanted to have a doe for my camp on the end wall...might as well be now. Holding off for ONE buck to get mounted some year...I'll know it when I get him.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like Tom says leave a good foot behind the shoulder, a little extra is alot better than not enough.Leave that much brisket too, clear up between the front legs and past.Also tie your tag around the antler, dont cut through the ears if your mounting the deer..Sorry for Hijacking Tom-just thought taxidermists deal with enough issues, the more the hunter knows the better eh!!RR
Hey Kevin don't worry about that pal, education is important on field care, take care bud.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts