New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen on here in the past where guy's have put in mineral sites and got some awsome pictures around them throughout the summer months, just wondering when is best time to start them and what the preferred mineral is, I seen once where someone suggested a mixture of stuff from the Shur gain, but not sure what it was

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yup that recipe works great, Also if ya dont mint paying the money the rack stacker minereals work very well. I have 50lbs of rackstaker here, and will be putting in out in the next couple weeks, in 4 different spots.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Plain old stock salt works ok too since that is what they are after. The mineral is actually bitter tasting but guys are usually trying to provide the supplement as well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I called Shur-Gain Feeds and they're charging alot for the recipe.

2X Trace mineral is $21.22/bag
Stock salt is $12.49/bag
Di-Calcium Phosphate would have to be specially ordered. I didn't ask for the price.

If you look online people are saying they are getting the 200 lbs mix for under $25.

G

·
Boys we've been using that mix with good success for a couple of years... but no better than a $12 dollar, 50lb salt lick block from the Co-op. Brown or blue, the deer, bears, moose, squirels and rabbits like them both. The hardest part is carrying the SOB into the stand. Kind of like carrying a dead beaver -- really, no good handles.

An inbred friend of mine uses a bag of rock salt from Wal-mart every year. Has great success as an attractant, but provides little to no mineral supplement to Bambi.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
I use Deercaine and black magic made by habits evolved. I got over 300 pics of a big buck (IMO) last year. 2 months with the cam out. the buck dug a big hole and I never got one doe on cam even though they were in there. I kept the spot going all winter with the cam and got lots of different deer and have just added another spot this spring. Havent checked the cam yet but I will post when I do.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I called Shur-Gain Feeds and they're charging alot for the recipe.

2X Trace mineral is $21.22/bag
Stock salt is $12.49/bag
Di-Calcium Phosphate would have to be specially ordered. I didn't ask for the price.

If you look online people are saying they are getting the 200 lbs mix for under $25.
yes, it is far from 30$
i got all i need for the recipe at shur gain and it was 90$

·
Registered
73 Posts
Plain old stock salt works ok too since that is what they are after. The mineral is actually bitter tasting but guys are usually trying to provide the supplement as well.
Thanks Bowtech,
I put out 50lbs os stock salt and the deer are all over it. Lots of great pics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts