New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
qdma in n.b will it work.the only way it will work as far as i see it would be that every hunter be on board.the n.b government be for it also dnr and all the forestry companies be on board.if i am right how do we get everything to work for qdma?

·
Banned
348 Posts
qdma in n.b will it work.the only way it will work as far as i see it would be that every hunter be on board.the n.b government be for it also dnr and all the forestry companies be on board.if i am right how do we get everything to work for qdma?
Rome wasn't built in a day...it starts with growing the membership this year then taking on initiatives over the next two years....eventually the chips start falling into place. Part of our job (QDMA members) is to get all parties involved, etc.

Are you a members?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rome wasn't built in a day...it starts with growing the membership this year then taking on initiatives over the next two years....eventually the chips start falling into place. Part of our job (QDMA members) is to get all parties involved, etc.

Are you a members?
how does one join and what is the cost i would be intrested to join dont know much about QDMA but sounds like a decent program thanks

·
Banned
348 Posts
how does one join and what is the cost i would be intrested to join dont know much about QDMA but sounds like a decent program thanks
Go to www.qdma.ca to join, the cost is $30 for 1 year. Once you join PM Bowtech or myself with your email address because the national site can't give local chapters members emails (privacy issues). That way we can keep you up to date on what the NB chapter is doing.

Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
Go to www.qdma.ca to join, the cost is $30 for 1 year. Once you join PM Bowtech or myself with your email address because the national site can't give local chapters members emails (privacy issues). That way we can keep you up to date on what the NB chapter is doing.

Thanks
When you join do people join the national group or the nb group or how does it work ? If the two are not conected enough to share email info between themselves due to privacy laws, what happens with the money ? does it all come back here or does it stay there? Can people join the local chapter instead? What do members get or share in by becoming members?

·
Banned
348 Posts
When you join do people join the national group or the nb group or how does it work ? If the two are not conected enough to share email info between themselves due to privacy laws, what happens with the money ? does it all come back here or does it stay there? Can people join the local chapter instead? What do members get or share in by becoming members?
As far as I know you join the national chapter which supports the local chapter with economy of scale discounts, news letters, research, etc. The local chapter/chapters need to do their own fundraising. Basically the local chapter needs the resources that the national chapter provides.

Once you join QDMA Canada provide the local chapter with your email address. That way you can be informed with what we are doing or even better you can volunteer to help out.

What do you get...if you just want to join as support you get a lobby voice which is going to grow stronger as the year progresses. If you want to volunteer then you can help us lobby, go to hunting shows, help out at the hunting symposium, help with the crown land initiative, etc

If we could get a handful of new volunteer members would could start the crown land management initiative this year.

I have only been a member (volunteer) for 1 month. I have already been able to secure three Maine hunts to be auctioned away at the hunting symposium (Fall Bear and 2 Spring Turkey hunts). The Directors are open to ideas like the crown land initiative. Basically, the more you put in the more you get out of it but non-volunteer members are just as saught after.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I hope it will work, I recently just joined, The only thing that worries me is knowing how litle, nb hunters actually care about hunting. In my mind, anyone who is serious hunter, owes it to themselfs and there sport, to try to do something, and QDMA is maybe the best way to help, How many deer liscense are sold, 60000 or so, and how many members are there, 100 or so, Imagine, 10000 members, or even 5000 that would be a very good thing. But like I said, hunters in our province have a great reputation of doing NUTHEN. People on this site, must have enough interest in hunting in order to join a internet forum related to it, Now lets get togheter and HELP US HELP OURSELFS

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Will it work in NB? Depend on what your definition of "work" is. It is an alternative to traditional deer management. Will every hunter end up practicing QDM...no, QDM as a whole is a personal decision but every person can practice QDM. Every time you pull the trigger and decide to either shoot or not shoot a particular deer, whether it be a buck, doe or fawn you make a management decision having either a positive or negative effect.
There are 4 cornerstones to QDM, habitat mangement, herd monitoring, hunter management (education) and herd management. You can practise any one, a combination or all of them.
QDM in a nutshell is not just shooting a deer but shooting the right deer towards a balanced herd within the carrying capacity of the habitat.

The benefits of joining depend on how involved you wish to be.

You get a subscription to one of the best magazines on deer available. Not your regular hunting stories but articles on the latest research, habitat management, "on the hoof" aging, camera surveys and info, natural species profiles, foodplots, etc.

Education - Courses offered on Deer Stewardship.

Direct access to some of the top biologists in North America

Being part of a growing team of whitetail deer enthusiasts helping to have a positive affect on the deer herd of NB.

Some of stuff that is open to everyone is field days and whitetail symposiums. You can purchase apparel, books, DVD's and management tools through "The Shed".

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks bowtech that is what i was looking for for an answer.but i have one more question for u.do u think that government,dnr,and forestry companies has to be on board how does qdma get them on board?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You will not get government/DNR or forestry companies to adopt QDM nor is it necessary. While DNR may agree with QDM they could never implement it on a provincial level. Forestry companies at this time will not endorse anything that affects their present timber harvest levels or how they can harvest certain blocks, although there may come a time when public pressure forces them to partially implement improved habitats on a portion of their leases. QDMANB is in the process of preparing a discussion paper in order to meet with the Minister of Natural resources this spring to discuss the issue to start to open a dialogue towards this.

It will mainly be individual hunters wanting increased opportunity at more mature bucks on public and private land and individual landowners wanting the same and willing to provide suitable habitats. Success breeds success and it will be from hunters seeing positive results from indiviuals or groups of individuals practising QDM. It is not a short term endeavor but a changing mindset. Hopefully we can lay the groundwork for the next generation with it's heightened awareness of the need to preserve wild space and wildlife.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts