New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems every year brings the same old crap.people tresspassing on our property getting dropped in the dark picked up in the dark walking in from other properties shooting next to the houses.Man whats the sense manageing deer on your property which we own and pay taxes on if every die hard gotta get a deer at all cost bandit treats it as an invite.just this year 4 guys caught 2 returned twice another sneeks in waits till we leave and gets in our hunting shack and hunts our food plot hears us comeing and bails out the back...local guy too that knows where he is.another tells us we are trespassing and hes got permission.another says there public deer and he can hunt them anywherre he wants.One guy even says the hydro lineis a right of way for anyone.not in my deed it isnt.this crap gets old and seariously makes deer hunters look like fools.im an avid deer hunter but can stomach deer hunters does this need to be the way?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not to mention the guy walking through the property fireing his gun every so often to drive deer out.thank god for trail cams.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone practiceing QDMA is only waisting money in nb and inviteing everyone to set up an execution ambush on every li ne of your property.Does kids.spikes they blast every deer they see and you let walk.deer hunting is almost a thing of the past now.man cant even own his own land anymore.0

·
Registered
867 Posts
With our weak trespass laws and total lack of respect,not a chance in hell I'd be advertising my property with QDMA signs.As you said,IMHO it's an invitation for every yahoo in the country,might as well put up "hunt deer here" signs.
Different story in the states perhaps where trespass is taken seriously,especially in states where property rights can be legally protected with deadly force.Trespass with a gun in some states and they'll just simply shoot your sorry ass.I don't see any sense or benefit whatsoever to hanging QDMA signs in NB,in fact,it's more likely the exact opposite and will just cause you additional grief.
Alberta has far more strict and actually enforceable trespass laws compared to NB including big fines,seizure of illegal animals,1yr hunting suspension for first offence.....,and still,the hunting forums every year are plastered with trespass complaints,theft of cameras and stands etc....it's rediculous.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It sucks. Province is full of idiots. Don't matter where u go, u will find an apple pile every 2 kms. Private land or not. If it's not posted perfect, ppl think it's a free for all

·
Registered
431 Posts
We do need better trespass laws

all the onus is on the landowner and non on the person who wants to access the area.

should have to go both ways.

I own quite a bit of woodland and rarely am I contacted for permission.

last year and this year I gated 4 of my roads, posted with signs with my name and #

mainly because of garbage being dumped and Dad had firewood stolen

Not one call looking for access

I'm thinking if deer #s were up and more people were out it may be a different story

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yep - you are all 100% correct - and it's only going to get worse. But oh.....there's lots of habitat on Crown land - that's why all the deer are there! NOT! You know who to thank for this.

Getting absolutely ridiculous here in Keswick also. Drive-by shooting; places good buddies used to give a guy space to hunt, and in desperation are right in there crawling all around just to get a deer - no respect, no care I hunt there and have 3 kids who would like to hunt a deer. Like you say - sad thing is these guys are turning out to be guys we know and live right down the road.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Little off topic but just heard final numbers from Sussex registrations, 159 is the word I got. Last year it was 498. Do you think DNR is going to implement changes axeman over the worst season in the last 40 years, 1972 coming in at only 4200 animals.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It will go down as the worst season in nb history. The deer are dwindling away but yet it's still a free for all out there.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm not doing the QDMA thing, but I do hunt on my in laws 200 acre farm. Mostly oats and clover there. People in the area know I consistently harvest good bucks there. This year was the worst I've seen. Three nights in the final week of the season, I had pictures of someone walking by my trail cam. Two of the nights were at 6:30 pm and Friday night was at 10:15 pm.

Sunday night, there had been someone on my camera. When I did some looking around on Monday, I found the dreaded clump of deer hair on the ground. I gasped as I only really had one good buck on my camera all fall. A decent ten pointer. I looked around and didn't find blood. I hope they just grazed whatever they shot at. Either way, that deer never appeared again.

If nothing else, these people accomplished the task of ruining my hunt. Sometimes I think they are as happy ruining other people's hunts, as they are shooting a deer themselves. People have no class.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm not doing the QDMA thing, but I do hunt on my in laws 200 acre farm. Mostly oats and clover there. People in the area know I consistently harvest good bucks there. This year was the worst I've seen. Three nights in the final week of the season, I had pictures of someone walking by my trail cam. Two of the nights were at 6:30 pm and Friday night was at 10:15 pm.

Sunday night, there had been someone on my camera. When I did some looking around on Monday, I found the dreaded clump of deer hair on the ground. I gasped as I only really had one good buck on my camera all fall. A decent ten pointer. I looked around and didn't find blood. I hope they just grazed whatever they shot at. Either way, that deer never appeared again.

If nothing else, these people accomplished the task of ruining my hunt. Sometimes I think they are as happy ruining other people's hunts, as they are shooting a deer themselves. People have no class.
Any chance you have them on camera carrying uncased firearms after legal time?

·
Registered
431 Posts
officially I don't do the QDMA thing either but do have a couple foodplots/killplots that with all the time and expense that goes into it does more for the deer than me.

(one 3 pt doe shot off the plot in 2 years)

I've passed on a few smaller bucks in that time but they only have to cross the road or step out in front of anyone else and they aren't going to grow any bigger

but that's the chance and choice a fella makes

But I think, officially or otherwise, at least deer are getting a bit of help

and maybe all those little plots and a few of us passing on smaller bucks, things will get better

as for trespassers you can run yourself ragged policing your property and it will still happen

a change in legislation, with real sportsmen supporting it, will go a long way to help

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Dale , remind me not too trespass on your deer plot. LOL .Robin
lol

no worries....i dont misss...hehehe

i guess they just caught me on a bad day......

probably should remove that post before i get into trouble

knock on wood....i never had any issues like that!

but then again.....that is my home away from home....so i am there ALOT!

but next year...i have nb power coming....a new power line going in ..all the way to PEI

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
officially I don't do the QDMA thing either but do have a couple foodplots/killplots that with all the time and expense that goes into it does more for the deer than me.

(one 3 pt doe shot off the plot in 2 years)

I've passed on a few smaller bucks in that time but they only have to cross the road or step out in front of anyone else and they aren't going to grow any bigger

but that's the chance and choice a fella makes

But I think, officially or otherwise, at least deer are getting a bit of help

and maybe all those little plots and a few of us passing on smaller bucks, things will get better

as for trespassers you can run yourself ragged policing your property and it will still happen

a change in legislation, with real sportsmen supporting it, will go a long way to help
i understand what your saying here

same for me

i do the deer management thing....plots fruit trees...feed....i wont take anything smaller than a 6 pt....but i also do it for me...

satisfaction knowing i am doing what i can to keep the deer around

but do have ppl close that just dont care....but what can you do....it is a free world!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Any chance you have them on camera carrying uncased firearms after legal time?
Absolutely. One of the pictures, you can clearly see the firearm at 6:30 pm. This was more than an hour after the gun should legally have been in the case(5:24pm). The problem is the face isn't visible in the picture. DNR said they would look into it, but it was so late in the season, I'm not sure they were able to check it out. I understand it's difficult for them to follow up on every report, when they are completely under staffed.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Worst harvest on record time for closeing it down for couple years.or no doe tags anywhere and strict antler restrictions.stop spraying and review of timber practiced.all deer yards and old growth is to be cut.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Deer herd is at critical low.more areas open this yr nuisance tags and doe tags plentiful on top there was 7weeks hunted and under 3000 deer taken.more moose were shot in 3 days.dnr blew it on estimate of deer numbers im wondering if they even counted last winter.id estimate the herd at less than 35000 on the mainland

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No doe tags should have been issued in 2015 with lack of young bucks a lot of productive does were shot.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Dnr doesn't do a god damn thing. Closing the season is not the answer. What the answer is yes antler restrictions, and some actual qdm. But there's just too many kill hungry and trigger happy idiots with every fucking excuse in the book to shoot small bucks and wet does. It's fucking retarded and selfish. It's a slaughter house out there. Then u have fucking JDI and the other companies combined with the fucktards in government especially Dennis Landry total fucking idiot. The deer are done. There will always be small pockets on private land and there will be more and more fights on the private lands because everyone has to shoot a deer at all costs.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Also don't forget about all the "hunters" that have all the deer in their area shot off so they all flock to say salisbury and invade everyone's land that ppl work hard to manage and ask permission, scout etc. Just to have some idiot from say capele come shoot 5 spikes in your area. Then give u a hard time if u ask them if they had permission. Idiots

1 - 20 of 57 Posts