New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
348 Posts
I am a new member to QDMA (first week) and I don't own land. As of last night I am an active member volunteering some spare time. I participated in a monthly conference call and quickly realized that the members are busy trying to make a difference for deer and deer hunting in NB. It's about the DEER and not about the crops.

I will be updating this posting monthly with QDMA news for current and future members.

January 2011 Meeting -

Actions for 2011:
1) Planning a Hunting Symposium to be held in the Saint John area (Second week of October). Dealing with the issues facing NB hunters, etc.
2) AGM/Field Day to be held on Aug 20 in the Edmundston area. We will be joined by a special guest (TBD)
3) Plan to meet with the Minister of NR to table concerns and solutions affecting NB deer herd and NB hunters.
4) Applying for funding (trail camera survey)

Draft plans for 2012:
1) Huge field day, AGM and Banquet with a nationally recognized speaker
2) Crown Land Initiative - plans to lease several hundred acres of crown land to practise QDMA and use for demonstration properties. These leases will be huntable (not sure if it will be for members only).

Basically the NB chapter is working hard to have deer herd issues, concerns and solutions addressed by DNR. We definately need more members and more volunteers. If you want to join the NB chapter you can purchase a membership online at www.qdma.ca or contact Daniel at:

New Brunswick Branch
Edmunston/Fredricton, NB
President - Daniel Gautreau
[email protected]
506-737-5050 ext. 5244

Donations are Tax Deductable

If you are already a QDMA and want to volunteer, please pm me or contact Daniel. We need a volunteer to be at a booth for the Harvey Outdoors show. Also, the more volunteers, the faster we can start the crown land initiative.

Cheers until next month.

·
Registered
125 Posts
First question, what does QDMA stand for? I have never heard of it.

·
Banned
348 Posts
March Update -

An official letter from QDMA NB regarding the DWA cutting issue will be delivered today.

We are days away from completing our discussion report for the Minister.

We will be calling the Minister on the 14th to schedule a meeting.

QDMA NB is one of 17 groups meeting this weekend to discuss the herbicide issue.

Keith Beasley from Canada in the Rough has indicated that he is very interested in appearing at our SJ Symposium in Oct.

At the end or March/beginning or April, members will be receiving an eBlast to update you on all our progress. Starting June 2011, this eBlast will be issued every quarter. If we don't have your email address and you want to receive the letter - please let us know.

Alot has been happening and will continue to happen. If you want to join and or become involved, let us know (either contact Bowtech or I or contact our president)

Keep up the fight

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Attention Crown Land Task Force (Mr. Norm Betts),

Quality Deer Management Association of New Brunswick represents a voice for deer and deer hunters and our primary concern is the issues facing the New Brunswick deer herd.

On behalf of the Quality Deer Management Association of New Brunswick, I would like to make a few comments on the government's plan to reduce the Deer Wintering Areas available for wildlife in this province. This is of grave concern to our group, to New Brunswick deer hunters and too many other groups from across the province that have an interest in wildlife, sustainable development, biodiversity and clean water.

We stand strongly against reducing the amount of deer yards from 285,000 ha to 125,000 ha. This will ultimately disrupt the government's plan to grow the deer herd to allow the harvest of 15,000 deer annually. We can not afford to reduce the amount of conservation land past 30% and hope this Task Force recommends NO reduction.

Our group is made up of volunteers from the forestry industry, biologists, private business employees and owners. We completely understand that the Province of New Brunswick needs quality employment opportunities throughout the Province and a balance is required between the forestry industry and wildlife. For decades there has been NO balance between the forestry and wildlife as the forest industry has received all the focus.

There are several major issues that are influencing the reduction of deer and other wildlife on Crown Land as a result of intensive forestry practices.

 Intensive Mono-Plantations of soft woods have little benefit to deer and other wildlife. The plantations are a "Cash Cow" for the forest industry and have significantly reduced biodiversity and the amount of available browse (food) for deer. Monocultures and less natural regeneration lowers the carrying capacity for deer and pushes the herd into more ideal habitat such as suburban areas and private land. As a voice for deer hunters, this is a serious issue as the average NB Citizen has limited opportunities to hunt on Crown Land and does not have access to private land.
 Herbicide Spraying of deciduous wood is further destroying the amount of available browse for deer and other wildlife. The spraying is required for the mono-plantations; however, there is clear scientific evidence that this type of silviculture eliminates a significant amount of short term and long term browse. Ask yourself how the general public would feel if they knew how much spraying is occurring on Crown Land, especially when there is a lawn care pesticide ban.
 Crown Land Lumber vs Private Woodlots - We are frustrated that the foresters are relying on cheaper wood supply from Crown land and limiting their purchases of Private Woodlots. The cheaper supply of Crown Land is leading to all the current issues facing deer and other wildlife on Crown Land.

It is well known that the public has opposed an increased intensity of forestry. This was stated during meetings across the province on the Erdle report, the "Select Committee on Wood Supply" that Kirk MacDonald chaired and surveys have shown that issues of biodiversity, clean water and wildlife are important to New Brunswickers.

Mr. Betts was recently interviewed by the Telegraph and quoted:

"Current checks and balances are in place for the environmental concerns"…

Our Association is concerned with this statement because we have not seen any environmental checks and balances.

"All we need are incentives"…

Again, this is concerning for many reasons but primarily because it appears the intent is to provide for more intensive forestry which will continue to decrease the deer herd and other wildlife species. The forestry industry has increasingly become mechanized and employment numbers have continued to decrease, yet government continues to focus on providing opportunities at the hands of deer and other wildlife.

Our members, deer hunters and concerned citizens have expressed their concerns to our association. As an association that represents NB deer, we are asking that the Task Force strongly recommend maintaining 30% conservation lands, significantly reduce mono-plantations and herbicide spraying and to move towards a balance between wildlife and forestry.

Sincerely,

QDMANB

·
Banned
348 Posts
Well it's official,

Keith Bealsey from Canada in the Rough will be our guest speaker at our Hunting Symposium in October. The event is FREE and there will be door prizes (most likely include either a shotgun or rifle) and two silent auction hunts (Maine youth Black Bear and Maine Turkey hunt).

Where: Hampton High School Auditorium
When: October 14, 2011
Time: 6 to 9:30 pm

Schedule:
QDMA Speaker/Q & A - 6 to 6:45 pm
Rod Cumberland - 6:45 to 7:30pm
Break/Q & A with Rod - 7:30 to 8 pm
Keith Beasley Presentation and Q & A - 8 to 9:30 pm

Additional keynote speaker: Mr. Rod Cumberland, Province of NB Deer Biologist and AVID Deer Hunter, will be discussing issues with nuisance deer in Southern NB and the hunting opportunities along with the pros and cons of relocating nuisance deer to other parts of the Province.

Contact Ben: 506-471-5063
Email: [email protected]

Please note: Due to the event being free, we are not reserving seats as this will be first come first serve. We recommend people show up early to guarantee tehmselves a seat. The facility holds over 400 people so there should be ample room.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I guess I never really though about this until I seen a add for it on the ferry today, Im not trying to be a complaner but Why is there a meeting oct 14 at 6, I think alot of people will be out hunting at that time, Why couldnt it start after dark. Again im not trying to pick this thing apart, it just seems like not the greatest timing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I guess I never really though about this until I seen a add for it on the ferry today, Im not trying to be a complaner but Why is there a meeting oct 14 at 6, I think alot of people will be out hunting at that time, Why couldnt it start after dark. Again im not trying to pick this thing apart, it just seems like not the greatest timing.
Valid point but remember there's only what 2000-3000 bow hunters in the province? Pretty small group overall...

Most "duck hunters" have had their filll by the second week of duck season anyways.. Show up after your evening sit, I'm sure they'll be a seat left!

PS glad to hear the posters are In noticeable spots ...Guess my help wasn't as bad as I thought

1 - 14 of 14 Posts