New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am feeding deer this year also.i was wondering how much to feed them?i have at least 18 deer coming in at one time.probably have more coming in at different times.iam putting out half to three quarters of a feed sack bag.i know that their is two other people feeding them also.feed is not a problem i have lots of feed. thanks for any info.

·
Registered
163 Posts
hi Predator...
What kind of feed are you using? we have approx. 20 deer or so coming regularly as well...all sizes from big bucks to small ( late born last year) fawns and pregnant does. We use whole oats which are natural "Hi-Protein" feed and we feed them four- five gallon buckets of feed/day...in feeder troughs and numerous piles on the ground spread out so they will all get fed...the big ones and the small ones as well. They also feed on winter browse, cedar, sumac and red maple twigs in the area...food stuffers that ease the hunger pangs but very little food nurtition for them so the oats bring them thru the winter in excellent shape, no matter what kind of winter we get as you can see from my photos and videos. We've got bucks starting their antler buds right now, fawns growing and active and does carrying unborn fawns...all doing well! It is encouraging to hear and know that others are carrying out feeding programs in other areas as well...especially since wintering areas for deer are getting "scarcer" every year! Hopefully your areas are safe from poachers and predators and away from traffic.
best to you and your feeding program, Predator! This is our fifteenth...or sixteenth year giving the deer herd a helping hand thru winter and I know we are "giving a little" back to the animal and the sport we love so dearly!
Ray

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ray i am feeding whole oats.as far as location the deer are being fed in is a dead end road and being fed at the end.then thier is two other people feeding them within 200 yards of me and they r also feeding with oats.so the deer just go from one place to another.i feel they have a safe place they r in a wooded area of aproximately 20 to 30 acres.thanks for the info!!!!!!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Also good practice to clean your feeders periodically to avoid bacterial contamination in the left-over feed, if any...

Good luck with your little corner of deer paradise!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Predator...
Your location sounds very good...ideal in fact and you can't beat using whole oats for the deer, good "roughage" fibre for their diet and a great source of protein and carbs. As Bulls Eye stated, it is a good practice to clean your feeders regularly as well and if you spread out some of the feed in numerous small ground piles in the area, the deer of all sizes will have a chance to dine at the same time. How are your deer doing up there, Bulls Eye? Ours are healthy, fat and happy to say the least! I have seen some wilderness deer recently and they don't appear to be in bad shape either. We have had a reasonably good winter here in southwestern NB. Despite some snow in February(actually the only month with any significant snow) in our area of the province, not many "calorie eating" sub zero nights/days over the last three months or so. I know we faired much better than southern and Eastern NB. How's it looking up where you guys live...Predator and Bulls Eye? I'm still looking forward to seeing green grass and springtime arrive! Ray

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just picked up another load of oats tonight a freind gives me the oats. so far he has given me around 2000 lbs.the deer r going to eat well until things green up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts