New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

Rabbit numbers

11K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  stroover 
#1 ·
Throughout the deer season i didnt see a single rabbit. Today i went for a walk in the woods (snowed yesterday) and seen quite a few tracks. Just wondering what everyone else is seeing.

#9 ·
Ive seen lots of tracks in the bouts of snow we've had, have only seen one rabbit tho, which was off like a flash so quick i only got a glimps, i followed him hoping that like 99% of them he would stop and try to hide not far from where he was but he was long gone, I think the coyotes have them either cleaned up and the survivors really wary, i have never seen so many yote tracks as i have this year

#10 ·
Numbers seem to be low around the areas that I usually hunt as well. I could count on one hand the number of rabbits I saw during moose/bird/deer season.

Even once the snow was down, I didn't see a whole lot for tracks...

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
Should be easy to see them now, you'll be able to hear the motor from their boats...gonna put on the chest waders and look for some tmrw and thursday hahah

#18 ·
Lots here and they're kind of stupid too. I saw one today that I nearly stepped on. It just hopped a few feet in the open and sat there looking at me. I think the more there are around the more dumb they act.

I got one the other day and put it in the slow cooker with some seasoning. Not bad.

#20 ·
Where I hunt, I have been seeing LOTS of rabbits for years. The numbers were very high, so I did some snaring for one year. Last year it would be nothing to see 2 rabbits every trip out, but this year there seems to be no rabbits at all. I then came across a lynx, then later on a coyote. Thus ending the mystery! The only rabbit tracks I have found this year where stepped on by a coyote which was following it. Besides areas like this, rabbit numbers in NB are very high! They are a fun hunt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.