New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking im going to set a trap line for some bunnies this winter but im no expert and looking for some help...i have trapped a few several years ago but just by luck i think lol..can someone get me started with some tips..like how much snow should i have....types on funnels....what to look for and good areas? any help is appreciated...thanks, BOB

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm guessing you mean snaring not trapping. I usually wait for a little bit of snow (find their travel ways easier) and set up on the main trails. Main trails are tracked up alot more than sub trails are. I use 1/16" wire with a lock on it. Set the snare so 4" is to the bottom of the snare with a 6" snare loop. Not a pro at this but this set up works for me. Best of Success!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I use what i think they call a chin stick, i set the snare like nbguide, but put a small stick from the ground up touching the bottom of the snare, it stops the bunny from ducking under and puts his head in the snare every time, as well as holds the snare in place so it doesnt slide up over his head.Also if you set a snare, block off all the openings around it, when you think you'll have him you'll find the next morning a trail around the snare, and don't set snares in plces with a good view to the open sky, or Mr. Raven will beat you to him, i used to snare rabbits that traveled in old birch thickets but the ravens and crows always seem to find them first, many a crow has been sprayed with lead while eating one of my rabbits

·
Registered
495 Posts
When you open them up, check the liver... If its spotted, don't eat the rabbit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When you guys are setting rabbit snares,is it neccesary to descent the wire before heading out or just use it as is? Thanks

·
Registered
726 Posts
I boil all my snares in baking soda just to dull the shine on them. No scent control taken after that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Isn't a 6'' snare a little big for bunnies,I would almost think that they would jump right through it.Just curious.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I usually make the loop about as big as my fist..... Tactics and tricks depend on where you are snarring. I like to find the trail in between two small trees (tight) and I put the snare between them and break off the tips of some fur trees and shove them in the snow along both sides to block them. If I catch bunnies anyone can catch bunnies......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts