New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks just wundering if anybody has any luck yet this year or in previous seasons rattling in any bucks? if so when during the rut it the best time and if you have any tricks or types of areas you prefer to do it in id appreciate any tips. thanks a lot.BOB

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Rattled a 2.5 yr old 5 pt in 2 years ago. I think it was November 2nd or around there. Had the most cam pics on scrapes around the last day of October and they seem to respond well around that time. My dad "rattled" a nice 3 year old 8pt in the first week of gun season one year just breaking branches

There was quite a write-up I just read the other day in a magazine on a rattling experiment they did down south. Chasing phase of rut had best response with light rattling but they seemed to respond better during the rut with hard rattling. Post rut light rattling again. Big bucks responded better to light rattling and responded better later in the season while younger bucks responded better to hard rattling no matter the time of the rut. A full 2/3rds of bucks responded by coming in down wind and 1/3 were seen by observers but not by the guy doing the rattling, or something like that. Some bucks responded well one day and not at all the other while some never responded at all even though they could hear it. Some they rattled in on consecutive days as well. I guess that just means that bucks are individuals and just because it doesn't work one day keep at it and it will happen. I would suggest somewhere you have a good field of view with either open area to your back or at least somewhere you can see well behind you with the wind in your favor. I like rattling from my treestand since I can see around me better and get the bow drawn if they respond. I don't rattle anymore once they start coming as they seem to be able to pinpoint the sound really well, right to the tree.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Thanks Bowtech, that's fascinating information. I've had a "nice" rattling rack from a few years back that I keep thinking about bringing in the woods, but since I don't really know what I'm doing with them, I've never actually brought them in. The news that he brought one in on the first day of rifle season makes me think I might just give it a shot with some light tree scraping next week.

Anyone else have any stories on how they or others rattle in the boys? I've read so much about how it's done in the south and such, but I've always felt that our environment doesn't really mirror the big fields and such that they tend to be hunting down there, so I've never taken much stock in how they do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts