New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished tuning my new recurve and ran into an issue that I thought might interest other trad shooters out there.

I had dialed all of the typical tuning items in:

• Brace height at the optimal point (minimal sound / maximum transfer of energy)
  • Nocking point ideal to eliminate up and down sway
  • Arrows spined properly, vibration eliminated, arrow shelf and plate adjusted
So the arrows were mostly flying like I wanted them to, but I was still getting inconsistent results.

The solution: The serving on my string was a tad thick and was holding on to the arrows improperly. Some were releasing a millisecond sooner or later than the others. A dozen swipes through each nock with fine sandpaper and a quick test that the arrows were only gently holding the string and the result was near perfect flight and really consistent shooting. I all my reading on the Internet I have not seen this solution so I thought it might be of help to someone out there.

Caution: I would be careful not to remove too much material from the nock as the weakening could cause a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It may be because it's not a recommended fix. Reserve the string with a smaller diameter serving thread or reserve with more tension on the serving tool.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Definitely a good point. That is why I added the warning though. I literally used 400 grit sand paper and did more smoothing than removing of material (a dozon light swipes was all that was needed) Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hunt 247 - I honestly could not believe the difference. I was racking my brain until I thought of that one, I am sure glad I did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts