New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to this site. I came upon it while researching hunting opportunities in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

I currently live in southern Ontario about 1 hour west of Toronto My wife and will retire in about 4 years and we are seriously considering moving to either N.B or N.S. One of the biggest considerations for me is hunting opportunities. I hunt everything except moose but I'm wanting to start that too.

Can someone give my some insight on a couple of things?

1. I'm thinking (and correct me if I'm wrong) that generally hunting opportunities for moose are better in N.B. If one lives in N.S is it fairly easy to get the proper permits and drive to N.B to hunt?

2. Is the deer hunting equally good in both provinces?

3. Are there any hunting advantages to living in one province over the other?

Thanks. I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Beeman

·
Registered
925 Posts
The deer hunting should also be better in the southern parts of each province as the winters are a little better.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The deer hunting should also be better in the southern parts of each province as the winters are a little better.
Moose hunting in NS is a once-in-a-lifetime chance. Moose hunting in NB is a thrice-in-a-lifetime chance (at least that's how I understand it!).

I've never hunted in NS, so I can't say much about them - but here, we do have a declining deer herd, but it's still possible to fill your tag every year with some smarts. We do have an awesome bear hunt (spring and fall seasons). That to me is worth moving to NB, alone.

We have some wicked waterfowl spots as well (although NS does too).

·
Registered
289 Posts
The Maritimes are a great place to live but if hunting opportunity was my chief decision making factor in choosing a retirement location ...... I think I'd be headed West.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

That's an education. I didn't realize it was that difficult to get a moose tag. I still have a lot of good years left in me (Lord willing) but I didn't want to wait 12+ years for a tag for 3 days hunting.

Still I enjoy small game and waterfowl and I understand that's gorgeous country out there.

We'll weigh all the factors and see what happens in 4 years.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I see few differances between provinces with regards to hunting opportunities except land access,and a spring bear hunt.
In NS any forested land that isn't posted or being worked is fair game for hunting access.
"MOST" try and gain permission first but sometimes it's near impossible to actually find out who owns it.
Cultivated land you must have permission.
We have a very generous amount of time for deer hunting if you bow hunt..Mid Oct? - first week of Dec. Rifle last week of Oct til end of Nov.
Moose draw...as a first time applicant here you'd probably be drawn,just seems to happen that way to us that have entered the draw faithfully for 20+yrs and not been drawn

Not sure what will become of that non-motorized hunt (first year this year) 20 tags and from what I'm hearing (rumour only) 8 of the 20 moose spoiled before recovery

Have a lurk/look around the sister site novascotiahunting >click here<

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Have you considered staying in Ontario where hunting opportunities abound with lengtly seasons?

You can hunt deer in Southern Ontario until December 31st if I'm not mistaken.

Certain areas are also reknowned for holding big deer (ie: Dryden to name one).

You're more than welcome to come on over, but you might be a little dissapointed with shorter seasons, extremely high hunting pressure in certain zones, and a flawed draw system.

I'm talking from NB here, not for NS.

This is still God's Country though, no better people in the world in terms of hospitality and great cooking

1 - 8 of 8 Posts