New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why cant trappers/snarers get a permit to possess these? Be nice if DNR gave them to trappers/snarers to use as bait for coyotes in the winter time.

Just curious why there isnt an exception here.

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can not see the harm in picking up roadkill. I see them when going to work early morning; it would save DNR a trip. My local district says 'no way' but I hear other districts it is ok. Maybe an Officer's discretion issue or just do it say nothing and all is cool thing.

·
Banned
348 Posts
It would free up the DNR staff to preform other duties but I think its just like the 22.250 rule....the gov't officials at teh time decided the couldn't trust us and this is an enforcement solution. Contact your MLA because they are all interested in saving/making up revenue.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I was told by DNR ST George it would be illegal possession of a big game animal. I just think if you have a fur harvesters licence and would use them as bait for coyotes then you should get an exception to use them. I wonder if calling Fredericton would make a difference??

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was told last fall when i asked if i could pick a dead deer off the road for bait that if i get caught it would be the same as if i shot it illegally. Then I asked if they could give me one and they said no, we give em all to one guy so he can use them to shoot coyotes. Well thats what i wanted to do with them, but same as every thing else its who you know.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was traveling north one day on Route 11 and came upon a monster bull moose dead in the ditch just outside Cocagne.The wardens were there pulling it out with a wench.I stopped with my camera and took some pictures, but I also dabble in carving antler.I asked the wardens what they did with the animals.They told me they either dump them in the woods or they go to the game park for food.Once I heard this I asked "well can I have the antlers" explaining what I would do with them.I said I had a saw in the truck and it would only take a minute.They told me that it was illegal for me to be in possession of them and I couldn't have them.So my guess is its illegal to own any part of a large road kill animal, but I am sure that one of the warden probably have the rack now....fringe benefits....lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
out this morning on the dunbar doing a little bird hunt.... seen close to 45 crows in one area flying, figured i would drive up to check it out.... almost certain its a dnr roadkill site had a 6 point buck forked buck and a doe, both bucks had a single antler left on there head and the jaws removed..... in a cut so imagine be some good coyote hunting there

·
Registered
358 Posts
out this morning on the dunbar doing a little bird hunt.... seen close to 45 crows in one area flying, figured i would drive up to check it out.... almost certain its a dnr roadkill site had a 6 point buck forked buck and a doe, both bucks had a single antler left on there head and the jaws removed..... in a cut so imagine be some good coyote hunting there
I imagine they cut off the antlers to discourage others from going and taking them, making it easier to charge you? I dunno.

What about shed antlers you find? Can you keep them?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nothing wrong with a little roadkill as long as you dont get caught,

get your minds out of the gutter its for eating!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I imagine the concern is if picking roadkill was legal, the number of road-killed critters would increase dramatically. Next you'd find tire swings used to boobytrap deer trails...."look Earl, nuther roadkill, dang we best clean that up"...hahahahaha...you might be a *******

1 - 16 of 16 Posts