New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am planning on getting out and hopefully getting my first bear this spring. I do however have a few questions which I was hoping someone could help me out with...

1. When should I start baiting? I gather that you want the bait to become familiar and give the bears time to get used to it, but what is a general rule of thumb for how long prior to the season you should start baiting?

2. I was looking at using a 30gal or 45gal drum with holes drilled in it for my "bait box", filled with cow guts and butcher scraps, but some have advised against that. What should I be using for bait?

3. Generally, do most hunters posses a certain degree of "hunter's etiquette"? As in, if I build a stand, bait an area for a few weeks and prep my site, would most hunters have the decency to not set up right beside me/ the area I've prepped? An odd question I know, but I'm just wondering how deep into the woods I need to go...

I have a bunch of other noob questions, but I figure that's enough for now. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I usually started baiting the first of April. Bears are out roaming around looking for food. I've used mostly, bread and french fry grease but a lot of guys swear by donuts from Tim Hortons. I also save all my bacon grease for baiting and table scraps. As for your last question, most good hunters will leave you alone but there's always hunters that will wait until you get the bear's interested and set up a stand close by. Kind of like turkey vultures, let everyone do all the work and swoop down and steal the reward.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I dont use much meat scrapes. Maybe just to get some smell out, Then its prettu much ole bread and pastries, Lots of sweet smelling stuff, anise oil vanilla anything like that. Also liquid smoke is great. If it where me I would make a few stink baits with you guts and stuff. Put em in a 5 gal pail add some eggs and some milk, then about 1/4 of water. Let them sit outiside sealed up, tape all around the cover. Then bring em to your bait site, and open them somehow lol. As far as someone setting up beside ya, well I would go somewhere far enought that I shouldnt have to worry about it. Start puttin some stink bait and a lilte bit of bread, as soon as most of the snows gone, Just to get some smell into the area it may take 2-3 weeks before they are ready to eat bait. Keep bread fresh

·
Registered
242 Posts
good way to let the smell out of your stink bucket is cordless drill. just put about 20 holes in it. and remember don't shoot the first bear that comes in. i find most first time hunters do that wait and see what is around unless it is a monster.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all the answers; some great advice offered here.

So the "stink bucket" is placed away from the bait itself?

·
Registered
242 Posts
what i do is tie rope from one tree to the anouther tree then put stink bucket in the middel as high as you can get it . so the bears can get it. they will try to get it . then smell will last longer.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
A cordless drill. Omg I dunno how you could stand the smell. I usually shoot it with a shot gun or a 22 a few times. Tie it from tree to tree then the bear cant get at it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
not for the bear to eat just for lure. eats what is in the barrel. and the smell is not that bad . you get use to it when you put out 40 to 50 of them.

·
Registered
909 Posts
A cordless drill. Omg I dunno how you could stand the smell. I usually shoot it with a shot gun or a 22 a few times. Tie it from tree to tree then the bear cant get at it.
Great advice,we use everything,meat scraps,vegies,bacon grease anything we can especailly tims donuts\\\\\\\\\\\\(they don't like there coffee though\)we bait week in advance and have blind built 1st.On our evening hunts about 2 hrs before dark we take little single burner with old pot and burn honey with marshmellows and we burn it good.That smoke just covers a large area and in irrestable for them.We find usually 1st into bait are the young ones and females.|The big males seem to hold back and circle bait sight out of site.But once a big one is coming you will know cause the smaller ones split fast.good luck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
with the stink bucket hanging high great place to put trail cam. when they stand up to try to take the bucket realy tells you how big the bear is. had a pic of a bear last year standing up taking the bucket. bucket was up about 7 feet to bottom of bucket the bear stood up with his head high above the buckit. big bear.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i have used this with great succes. 18kg bag of cheap dog food and 3 buckets of grease. dump in to barrel dog food will soak up grease. will look like large meatballs by the next day. last for long time depending on how manny bears are coming

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With regards to the barrel, how do you guys prep it? (Holes in the lid? No Lid? Cuts in the bottom?)

And is it a 45gal drum you use? Do you chain it to a tree or anything?

Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to be prepared and get myself a rug - err bear... lol

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
chain it to the tree for sure
I cut a hole about 10 inchs from the bottom big enought to get bears paw threw, I like to have a cover I can take on and off to fill it with

·
Registered
242 Posts
some cut the top out of it lay it on the ground. i stand mine up cable it to tree cut a hole in it about foot round up little more than half way on it then keep the hole full of 4 or 5 foot blocks of trees. this will let you know for sure if it was hit by bear. and you can use the rings on the barrel to size your bear .

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
some cut the top out of it lay it on the ground. i stand mine up cable it to tree cut a hole in it about foot round up little more than half way on it then keep the hole full of 4 or 5 foot blocks of trees. this will let you know for sure if it was hit by bear. and you can use the rings on the barrel to size your bear .
Not too sure what you mean by "keep the hole full of 4or 5 foot blocks of trees"...

So essentially you do not fill the drum right up with food; just the 18kg bag of dog food and a few buckets of grease, and have a few "stink buckets" around the perimeter? That seems easy enough I guess.

·
Registered
242 Posts
some times hard to say what you think. i mean take a tree cut blocks 4 or 5 foot long shove them in the hole. takes a pretty gound size animal to pull them out to get at the bait.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I usually put 3 or three trees into the hole something big enough that only a bear can take em out, either that or youll be feeding everything else as well. It works really well, I use like 5 or 6 foot lenghts tho something 3 or inches around

1 - 20 of 28 Posts