New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We seem to be coming across more ruffed grouse this summer than last.In our travels scouting for deer and setting up moose stands the numbers seem to be up.I even saw one fly across mcallister drive in saint john about 200 yards from the mall.Maybe she was going to get her nails done..lol.Anyway,does anybody else see a difference in numbers this year,up or down?

·
Registered
175 Posts
We seem to be coming across more ruffed grouse this summer than last.In our travels scouting for deer and setting up moose stands the numbers seem to be up.I even saw one fly across mcallister drive in saint john about 200 yards from the mall.Maybe she was going to get her nails done..lol.Anyway,does anybody else see a difference in numbers this year,up or down?
Saw a half dozen on the main road in Stanley couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeh, usually I don't see them outside the season, because I never really look, but this year I have seen a lot, the only disapointment is they were all on wildlife reserves.

·
Registered
614 Posts
You guys are lucky.
I'm not seeing many here in the southeast. Just the usual amount. I hope it's just that I'm not really looking for them yet.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I haven't seen any in the Kennebecasis area yet this year, but I DID see several in Kent County over the summer while trout fishing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know in my neck of albert county the little buggers are everywhere went out 4-wheeling on sunday and saw at least 10! Gonna be a good year,as for deer that might be a different story!

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Ruffed Grouse Society drumming counts were up in all survey areas in South western NB this Spring. A dry Spring combined with an early leaf cover has resulted in an excellent hatch and survival rate. We have seen hens with broods containing 8 to 10 young of the year as late as the end of August where it is more commonto be down to 2 or 3 survivors. The "Great Dispersal" began late this year with most flocks only breaking up within the last two weeks.
It's nice to see populations on the rise again -- been a hard slow climb back since the big kill off caused by the massive ice storm of 1998.
Cheers,
John ---RGS Canada

·
Registered
456 Posts
Saw a nice sized one on my lawn yesterday evening, hopefully he sticks around til thursday, ive seen quite a few the last few weeks

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've been jumping 1-3 every day doing the deer camera survey.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
These are the best counts I have had in a long while. Seen up to 25 one day last week. Seen as many as 6 different coverts in one evening drive in August.

Good luck to all tomorrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts