New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard some rumors about shutting down deer season for the next 3 to 5 years ....what is everyone else hearing?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Will never happen! At least until they are all gone that is. There will be more shot when it's shut down then now. Seriously!

·
Registered
495 Posts
More food for the coyotes, they will happily take our place. Think it's bad now, won't get no better between 2 and 4 legged yotes. Not to memtion the outcry for more deer fencing.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Not likely to happen and quite doubtful that it would even help the herd anyway. There really arent enough deer being shot to seriously hurt the population.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Unless you heard it from a high level government official, then its BS. We were spoiled in 2007 and expect those numbers to continue. It's no worse now than the early/mid 2000's. They would try other tactics first - like lowering doe tags.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I can't see it happening, but have heard similar rumours. I say take them all with a grain of salt. People see the antlerless deer tags lowering in a zone and automatically assume the end is near. In zone 25 they have eradicated Antlerless Tags, and I've been hearing all year that they will be closing the season next year. I honestly think it's just "the sky is falling" talk.

·
Registered
925 Posts
If it did happen then i guess I wouldn't need an excuse to hunt out of province.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
can't see it happening. First of all gov't would loose too much money, poaching would skyrocket and the amount of deer legally harvested really doesn't hurt the overall herd much IMO.
they will try other means before a shutdown happens.
1 thing i would like to see put in place is a point minimium. 4pts or less gets to walk. Let the small bucks grow for 1 extra year and see how much it will improve. Lots of does and fawns around just need bucks to survive long enough to breed them and become mature.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just noticed a report that says in 2003 we only issued two thousand and some doe tags. This year nearly 5000 were issued. Maybe the herd was in worse shape in 2003?

I think we had a couple of bad winters which knocked the herd back quite a bit but it is already recovering due to the easier winter last year. A few mild winters and we could be seeing fair numbers of deer around. I'm impressed with all the deer tracks I saw on the snow today even with the high coyote populations.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yup it official guys i just talked to a very reliable source and deer season will be closed in all zones except from grand manan and 22 and 23 starting in 2011

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
It will never happen, let's make sure of this....

I was totally against zone closures in the North (it served absolutely no purpose whatsoever) and now it will take years of lobbying to have the remaining WMZ re-opened.

Stop the insanity....

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
imagine how many people would be in zone 22 & 23 if they did that ...wow 1 season and those 2 zones would have less deer than the rest of the province.
Like I said earlier. Legally harvested deer is not the issue with the deer herd here in NB

1 - 20 of 23 Posts