New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys - and buy guys, i'm not being gender specific -

This is my first post in this forum, so i apologize if i'm duplicating another thread. I did a search for Sako on this forum and found little info. I'm on the hunt for my "Dream Rifle" and have set my sites on the Sako Finnlight, chambered in 30-06 Springfield. Obviously i'll have to sell a few of my rifles to obtain this one, but aside from that - i have little else to go on. I read great reviews, it's light, tight, and a pleasure to use (i hear). Does anyone have any input or experience with this rifle? How about something else similar to consider? MY dream rifle will be all weather, resistant to scratches, light, MUST be bolt action, SHOULD have a removable box magazine, and will be capable of driving nails from the back benches.

Thanks for your help guys,

Justin

·
Registered
627 Posts
As you can tell from my handle I have a bit of experience with Sako rifles. They are all I have owned for rifles and have for 30 years. For the money you'll spend you can't get a finer production rifle as far as I'm concerned. Every one I've had shoots a lot better than me. If money is a concern Tikka is also made by Sako and has close to the same accuracy and dependability.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hello guys - and buy guys, i'm not being gender specific -

This is my first post in this forum, so i apologize if i'm duplicating another thread. I did a search for Sako on this forum and found little info. I'm on the hunt for my "Dream Rifle" and have set my sites on the Sako Finnlight, chambered in 30-06 Springfield. Obviously i'll have to sell a few of my rifles to obtain this one, but aside from that - i have little else to go on. I read great reviews, it's light, tight, and a pleasure to use (i hear). Does anyone have any input or experience with this rifle? How about something else similar to consider? MY dream rifle will be all weather, resistant to scratches, light, MUST be bolt action, SHOULD have a removable box magazine, and will be capable of driving nails from the back benches.

Thanks for your help guys,

Justin
Great rifle, but for that money Iwould be hard pressed not to buy a custom action, barrel and stock to get a true dream rifle?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hands Down the best box magazine set up that there is.
The Finnlight is lighter than the other Sako 85 offerings but it is still kinda heavy or at least average --- it's certainly no feather weight at 6.5 - 7 lbs without a scope.
Great factory trigger and as smooth an action that you will find in a production Rifle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have gone through quite a few rifles finding one that i really fell in love with. Until i ordered my 7mm Sako 85 Finnlight. Toped with a Zeiss Conquest this is the smoothest, tightest, most comfortable gun i have ever shot. 1 hole groups are 100 yards, and 3 inch groups at 500 with reloads. Thats with a 9 power scope and an average shooter. I will ALWAYS have a Finnlight in my Gun Case. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Stewy's Not Lyin Either Ca'mon!!
Been with him a couple times and its a Tack Driver!!
I just cant come to grips with spending the extra $500(give or take)compared to a Tikka T3.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stewy's Not Lyin Either Ca'mon!!
Been with him a couple times and its a Tack Driver!!
I just cant come to grips with spending the extra $500(give or take)compared to a Tikka T3.
have you had experience with the T3? i've been looking at those too but keep finding myself going back to the Finnlight. A friend of mine used to have a Tikka - unsure of the model - and he LOVED it. i need to get my hands on a few different models to make a decision. Do you know where i could go to see one "in the flesh" so to speak? Finnlight or T3?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Pretty sure "The Gun Dealer" in McAdam stocks Tikka...not sure about Sako?Gord Whitman @ Blue Mountain Sports in Brown's Flat "usually" has a few Tikkas on the rack in varmint calibers at least...call ahead to be sure?
Ross will tell you he has one and then try to sell you some octagonal barrel Browning that was a shot show special when you get there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hands Down the best box magazine set up that there is.
The Finnlight is lighter than the other Sako 85 offerings but it is still kinda heavy or at least average --- it's certainly no feather weight at 6.5 - 7 lbs without a scope.
Great factory trigger and as smooth an action that you will find in a production Rifle.
Is this based on your direct experience?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have gone through quite a few rifles finding one that i really fell in love with. Until i ordered my 7mm Sako 85 Finnlight. Toped with a Zeiss Conquest this is the smoothest, tightest, most comfortable gun i have ever shot. 1 hole groups are 100 yards, and 3 inch groups at 500 with reloads. Thats with a 9 power scope and an average shooter. I will ALWAYS have a Finnlight in my Gun Case. Good Luck
atta boy stewey! You an uncle yet?

·
Registered
289 Posts
have you had experience with the T3? i've been looking at those too but keep finding myself going back to the Finnlight. A friend of mine used to have a Tikka - unsure of the model - and he LOVED it. i need to get my hands on a few different models to make a decision. Do you know where i could go to see one "in the flesh" so to speak? Finnlight or T3?
Where are you located ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
"Feel the love" lol.

I don't know the guy personally,only met him at Sussex show a couple times.I beleive he has the best/biggest gun selection in NB that I know of,and have heard he will match any advertised price in Canada?For whatever reason(s)...seems members here either love him or hate him?
No doubt Ross has the largest selection in Atlantic Canada and yep he matches advertised pricing..... and personally I am very happy that he is here,.... wish him great success etc... and it's a great place for me to browse around when we are out to Lake George on a summer weekend.

Unless you live across from the Gyprock plant he is hardly local to anyone in the maritimes however and it doesn't bother him a bit to waste most of your day to make the trip .... only to find No In fact he doesn't have that model or caliber there but can order it for you ..but before he does why don't you take a look at this browning.

·
Registered
289 Posts
aaaaa ic.I could see me being more than a little pi$$ed to make the 2hr drive only to find out that he does not in fact have the rifle I enquired about and was told only hours earlier that it was indeed in stock....if that's where you're going with this?
Yep that's exactly where I am going with this. Ironic actually, given the title of this thread because it happened to me there with this exact gun (Different Caliber) Anyway there weren't many anywhere in the country as far as I could tell and he told me that he had one. I got there and he'd made a mistake and he didn't have one and Started pitching me A-Bolts ..... maybe they shoot and lots love them but there is no way I would have a gun with that crazy magazine system .......No way! So yeah it happened to me and something very similar happened to a buddy of mine. Anyway I got one from P&D in Edmonton ---- come to find out the shipping was less than my gas to get there and back.

You know what else Tikka Rifles Were selling for under $500 back then and they were everywhere ........... Talk about a missed opportunity.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Remington 700 is a fine rifle that is in the same class as the Tikka and Finnlight. Very accurate and capable of shooting better than most hunters. I like Sako rifles because they seem to fit me and give me confidence when I shoot. I like the feeling that if I miss, I did something wrong, and its not the rifle. Here's a link to the Sako Collectors club. It costs nothing to join and any questions you have can be answered here. Theres also a classified section where you can get an idea what each rifle is worth.

http://sakocollectors.lefora.com/forum/category/for-sale-2/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts