New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well only 26 days before we take off to Saskatchewan for our yearly deer hunt, looks like the deer numbers are good this year, the good winter last year they had helped alot, low winter kill and more mature bucks survived....man i am pumped big time.....

Had to let off some good steam...

·
Registered
780 Posts
"looks like the deer numbers are good this year, the good winter last year they had helped alot, low winter kill and more mature bucks survived"

OK....I'll bite.......how do you figure one good winter will produce MORE bucks? Maybe fewer die than what might die in a tough winter, but won't there be fewer bucks than last fall if ANY mature bucks die at all? Any benefit of a good winter only will help add bucks when the fawns that survive become 3.5 years old...and that's not for another 2 years.

One easy winter means more fawns may survive, but this just adds more yearling bucks in the next fall, not mature bucks. What adds to mature bucks is the 2.5 year olds.....the same bucks that would have been YEARLINGS in 2008, and FAWNS in 2007 - when Saskatchewan had a HARD winter, and LOST a pile of fawns. Therefore, there will be fewer 2.5's added to the 3.5's this year, and with losses at all last winter, I don't see how you would predict a better hunt. Mature bucks are the least likely to die due to a tough winter. 50 percent losses are fawns, 30% does and the rest bucks.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Axeman, i think he meant what you said in your first sentence. With a better winter last year there would have been less winter kill on each age of mature bucks, therefore making the hunting better than if we or they had a real bad winter.RR

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey im out in sask now taking training .. i will be going on my first sask bow hunt this weekend. what part do you plan on hunting

·
Registered
565 Posts
Milder winter means less kill at every age group so the survival rates of the 2.5 and 3.5's will be better. Additionally all the deer should come through the winter in better shape meaning more resources available to grow antlers instead of just getting them back to a healthy state. So yeah, it will take some time to build up the herd again but a mild winter should mean more bucks are able to grow up and grow antlers. Every time you shoot an 8 pointer doesn't mean there will be 1 less 8 pointer next year.
I'm off to Alberta on Nov 4 for 2 weeks, going to be up around the Ram River and North Sask River outside of Rocky Mountain House...

·
Registered
289 Posts
"looks like the deer numbers are good this year, the good winter last year they had helped alot, low winter kill and more mature bucks survived"

OK....I'll bite.......how do you figure one good winter will produce MORE bucks? Maybe fewer die than what might die in a tough winter, but won't there be fewer bucks than last fall if ANY mature bucks die at all? Any benefit of a good winter only will help add bucks when the fawns that survive become 3.5 years old...and that's not for another 2 years.

One easy winter means more fawns may survive, but this just adds more yearling bucks in the next fall, not mature bucks. What adds to mature bucks is the 2.5 year olds.....the same bucks that would have been YEARLINGS in 2008, and FAWNS in 2007 - when Saskatchewan had a HARD winter, and LOST a pile of fawns. Therefore, there will be fewer 2.5's added to the 3.5's this year, and with losses at all last winter, I don't see how you would predict a better hunt. Mature bucks are the least likely to die due to a tough winter. 50 percent losses are fawns, 30% does and the rest bucks.
We've had a couple of back to back "bad winters" and I'm not sure anyone here would disagree that our herd was down significantly last season ... perhaps you disagree and saw no difference in your hunting area or only saw a decline in Does and Kids?

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
I just booked my flights last night for the late rifle season. Moosebuck is hunting the Fringe Forest, I'm hunting the Agri areas in South Central Block.

Talking with my friends from Sask last nite, we might need a boat this year to navigate and retrieve our deer from the flooded fields and sleughs!

Moosebuck, rifle cases are ordered for you me and DB, check your email.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts