New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

savage axis xp

16K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  Crosshairs 
#1 ·
hey there, i need some thoughts on a savage axis xp...synthetic stock and detachable mag...anybody have any reccomendations? 22-250 cal by the way..thanks for any advice

#7 ·
From what I saw with online reviews, they shoot pretty good, pretty much an MOA rifle right out of the box.

I've handled one at Better Buy Sports in Moncton, a Savage Edge XP 30-06. I liked the feel, and it shouldered well. Sliding the bolt, the action seemed fairly smooth as well.

2 things I didn't from the Edge are:

-When I tried it in the store, it's obvious that the scope that came with it had some parallax issues. Maybe it's because it was out of focus or just not set properly, I'm not sure.
-The bolt handle lifts 90degrees, which makes it awkwardly close to the scope.

None of these issues are deal breakers mind you, and for the price, I don't think anything else comes close to it. It's a fine entry level rifle.

I'm considering getting one in 30-06, and if all goes well, then maybe getting one in 223 or 22-250.

If you end up buying one, let us know how you feel, and also how it shoots!

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have an old Savage 99 in .303 Sav., 110 in 30-06, a 111 in 708, and an Edge in 308. I'm happy with all. The only one I wasn't happy with was a Stevens in .308 Win. I even tried an after market trigger which helped, but the accuracy wasn't there. The trigger is a bit heavy but not bad. Mine is the camo model with clip & scope. It was $450 in McAdam. It is available a bit cheaper delivered from Dantes Sports in Montreal but With Ross you can trade (which I did).
I wasn't impressed with the scope so I replaced it with a Bushnell Elite. I have only fired it a few times but it looks promising for accuracy when I find the right load.

#27 ·
Rifle basix sells the axis triggers, and I spoke with a gent from Quebec that is going to make a direct bolt on Laminated stock for the axis. Just give it time, and the aftermarket people will clue in. There's way too may Axis's sold to not have aftermarket stocks for the crappy plastic one's.
I just bought a 243, and ordered a trigger from Basix. Should be a good shooter for the misses.

Rick.

#32 ·
What ammo do you guys find best for these guns ? I have 30-06 and and I am not getting great groupings ,I am shooting Winchester Silvertips 180 grain just not sure if it`s me ( I find the trigger quite stiff on mine , ordered new timney trigger should help )or maybe the gun just doesn`t like this ammo .

#35 ·
I'm thing about gettin the Axis XP in .308. I read somewhere that the Axis is basically a clone of the Remington 710. Anyone else hear that? How is it a clone? Does it have that same plastic receiver? I know the Axis has a free floating barrel and the 710 does not; the barrel is hydraulically pressed onto the receiver.

I know its an entry level rifle, but as often as I get to go hunting I don't need a Rem 700.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.