New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Edge a few weeks ago and I like the rifle. It seem to be quite accurate but there is one annoying problem. I have a good front rest and sand bag at the rear. I put the scope on the target and squeeze the trigger. The horizontal cross-hair moves down when I squeeze the trigger, back up when I let off. When I have the scope dead on the bullseye, it moves down about an inch before the rifle goes off. The action is moving in the stock. T checked all the action screws and scope mounting screws and changed to a quality scope just in case that had something to do with it. Nothing changed. I took the rifle out of the stock but could find nothing amiss. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought a new Edge a few weeks ago and I like the rifle. It seem to be quite accurate but there is one annoying problem. I have a good front rest and sand bag at the rear. I put the scope on the target and squeeze the trigger. The horizontal cross-hair moves down when I squeeze the trigger, back up when I let off. When I have the scope dead on the bullseye, it moves down about an inch before the rifle goes off. The action is moving in the stock. T checked all the action screws and scope mounting screws and changed to a quality scope just in case that had something to do with it. Nothing changed. I took the rifle out of the stock but could find nothing amiss. Any suggestions?
Yup, I've heard of this before...not sure there is much you can do about it tho.
The action isn't moving in the stock, it's the stock flexing as you pull that trigger, maybe compounded by the sandbag rest.
I've heard of people glass bedding the action to help this issue, but not sure if it solved it tho. As you can see, the wrist is very thin on the Edge, and this causes the flex, so I'm told.
Maybe lighten the trigger pull some to help eliminate the torque...Check out the Savage shooters website forums, Lots of Savage owners have various ideas. Good Luck.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Seems to be one of the common problems with the Edge.

Perhaps the Axis which has replaced the Edge has addressed this and the other issues with the Edge.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you hold your finger where the stock and receiver come together, you can feel the movement between the two. I don't think it is as simple as the stock flexing. I think is is more likely to do with the bedding, but I don't know just what to do about it. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I did have the same thing happen with a sporter Anschutz .22 in a wood stock some years ago. I sold it without solving the problem.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Replace the stock with a good one.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Not to be negative , but thats why some guns sell cheap. Walmart grade , I'm sure you can find a way to correct it but would have been better if they charged a couple $ more and it was right . My take on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts