New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning buying myself a new rifle and i was looking at the Savage Edge or Axis as it's now called in the 22-250 caliber based on what i could find on the net as far as reviews it seems like a pretty accurate gun for the price,i would appreciate any input from members as to what they think of this rifle or is there something in the same price range in the 22-250 caliber that would be better.

Thanks

Dave

·
utopiahunter
1,446 Posts
dave I just got the edge in 22-250 its great lite and accurate . I did hear that people have problems with the clip so i'v been babying it in the cold weather cause of its plastic base but so far so good..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been looking at the Axis for a while now, and hear nothing but good reviews.

However, I've found the Savage 11/111 FCXP3 package to be of great value as well. It's about 60$ pricier than the Axis, and I've decided to go with that one instead.

But again, I've handled the Axis at the shop, and it seems pretty good. Great accuracy as well from what I've heard.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think the 111 would be well worth the extra $$$, and ive also heard alot of good things about the marlin xs7, I think its a bit more $$ than the axis but not too much.

Ive seen alot of threads about the axis and the edge and even though the price is attractive id probably be looking at what I could get for a used rifle in a similar price range ie rem 700, savage 111, win 70, weatherby vanguard or similar, the winter is sometimes a good time to buy used rifles you may be suprised at what is out there if you look. Id take a rem 700 with a scatched up stalk and shiney bore over an axis any day.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought my son the 22-250 edge for christmas, we had a problem with the bolt and had to take it back to Faulkners but they were able to fix it there , other than that it has worked good ,fired three boxes of shells through it , killed a few crows, no problems with clip but would recommend buying a spare to be safe because of plastic clip on it, you know what they say , you get what you pay for

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm planning buying myself a new rifle and i was looking at the Savage Edge or Axis as it's now called in the 22-250 caliber based on what i could find on the net as far as reviews it seems like a pretty accurate gun for the price,i would appreciate any input from members as to what they think of this rifle or is there something in the same price range in the 22-250 caliber that would be better.

Thanks

Dave
Thanks for the reply's I had looked at the Savage 11/111 I was interested in that one also, and i wasn't impressed with the plastic clip in the Edge, To be honest it's very hard to decide what to get on a limited budget, a co-worker told me he was looking forward to see what gun I was going to get and I told him so was I, because I don't have a clue, there's to many to chose from and getting the right one for me is just as hard as getting that big buck. I'll try to go down to McAdam to see what they have for 2nd hand guns I might find something.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
78 Posts
I should mention that I've also handled the Savage 111, and compared to my handling of the Axis, the 111 has a much better finish, and feels much "tighter".
Also, the 111's clip is all metal (no plastic latch like on the Axis)

The only thing the Axis has, that I whish the 111 had, is the big safety button, but then again, it's far from being a dealbreaker.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I should mention that I've also handled the Savage 111, and compared to my handling of the Axis, the 111 has a much better finish, and feels much "tighter".
Also, the 111's clip is all metal (no plastic latch like on the Axis)

The only thing the Axis has, that I whish the 111 had, is the big safety button, but then again, it's far from being a dealbreaker.
The only reason I didn't consider the Savage 111 is that I couldn't find a package deal in the 22-250 caliber were the scope was included, so even if the gun is only a few dollars more than the Axis and I agree with you it's a better handling gun the scope will set me back another $150-$200 granted the scope that comes with the Axis is probably low quality but for now I don't have a lot of money to spend on a gun

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure where you live, but you could order it from:

http://www.cedarvalleyhunting.ca/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=134&Itemid=53 (Cheapest Place to get the package**)
(if you want something thats not listed on his website, email the guy and he should be able to get it for you)

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=79&section=&ID=4973

Locally (at least in Moncton), they have the package deal at Green Diamonds Outfitters.

Other shops may carry them as well.
Thanks for the info DannyO, I'm from the Campbellton area i did read on here about Green Diamonds in Moncton I don't go down there often but they were on my place to go next time in Moncton, I had checked at Cabelas but they didn't have that model in the 22-250 caliber, but the other link you indicated seems interesting I'll check them out have you ever ordered there is the service good?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a Savage edge in 22.250 late this fall. Overall for the price I find it a good gun for what I bought it for. Which is just to carry around, good back-up gun or for girl firend to use and try a few coyotes. With a box of shells through it does seem accurate, scope is not terrible. The clip is iffy, sometimes takes a little to get in place right.
For a full time hunting rifle IMO would spend money on a better one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts