New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get another deer gun this week, and I have narrowed it to either a savage edge, or the savage 11/111 FCXP3 package. The scope doesnt really matter because I have a scope I am putting on either way. just wondering what the difference is between the 2 rifles. As far as I can see its just a different stock. Its $50 cheaper for the edge as well. Any thoughts would help!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am looking to get another deer gun this week, and I have narrowed it to either a savage edge, or the savage 11/111 FCXP3 package. The scope doesnt really matter because I have a scope I am putting on either way. just wondering what the difference is between the 2 rifles. As far as I can see its just a different stock. Its $50 cheaper for the edge as well. Any thoughts would help!
The Savage Edge is a different rifle than the 11/111 series. The Savage 11/111 is the same basic rifle as the 110 and the Stevens Model 200, which is still available at The Gun Dealer for $329.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
the edge also has a clip where the 11/111 will be a top loading internal mag.
I have a 111 in 30-06 (before accutrigger) and a stevens 22-250 and they are both very accurate and great shooters.
I would expect the Edge to be just as accurate and wouldn't hesitate on buying it.
which ever one you choose I think you will be happy

the scopes that come on them are junk IMO so just buy it without the scope

I am a big fan of the savage line..its not the prettiest gun out there but they are down right accurate and work great in the field. For the price you can't go wrong with the savage line.

what caliber you looking at?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Go for the savage 11/111. Lots of upgrades available for the 11/111, nothing for the Edge.

While the Edge is supposed to be an accurate rifle, I'd hate to trust the plastic clip holding int he magazine. I've also heard from a local gunsmith that he has had a few Edges in with bolt/trigger assembly problems. His opinion is that he has never seen a more cheaply made trigger.

The 11/111 has stood the test of time and is proven. Give the Edge a few years to get any bugs worked out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Go for the savage 11/111. Lots of upgrades available for the 11/111, nothing for the Edge.

While the Edge is supposed to be an accurate rifle, I'd hate to trust the plastic clip holding int he magazine. I've also heard from a local gunsmith that he has had a few Edges in with bolt/trigger assembly problems. His opinion is that he has never seen a more cheaply made trigger.

The 11/111 has stood the test of time and is proven. Give the Edge a few years to get any bugs worked out.
If the trigger quality is an issue on the Edge, then RifleBasix has a trigger(fully adjustable I think) that can replace the stock one for about $100.00 US.
I have an Edge in my locker , but haven't yet had the chance to take it out shooting, so I reserve judgement there.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If the trigger quality is an issue on the Edge, then RifleBasix has a trigger(fully adjustable I think) that can replace the stock one for about $100.00 US.
I have an Edge in my locker , but haven't yet had the chance to take it out shooting, so I reserve judgement there.
The Stevens 200 stock trigger is also adjustable, somewhat, for a few dollars worth of piano wire.

I wouldn't buy an Edge if it was the same price as the Stevens 200/Savage 110 rifle. That 110 series rifle has been made since the 60s or 50s. They aren't flashy, but they shoot straight.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I picked up a savage 22 last year and i am actually getting a new 308 which is on order now. Looking at both the FCXP3 (www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/111FCXP3) and the EDGE (www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/edge) guns on their website it doesn't list either of them having either the accutrigger or the new accustock. I don't know what the price difference is, and i might have the two models i am looking at slightly wrong, but it might be worth checking out the 11 FCNS (www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11FCNS) which is basically the same gun as the FCXP3 except it lists having both the new trigger and stock, specially if you already have your own scope.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
well I will tell you this. I have had my 30-06 model 111 for 8 years now and its a great gun and very very accurate. Mine doesn't have the clip but would be a nice option and probably the only thing I would say negative about this gun but its not really a huge deal.

The FCXP3 has no accu-trigger or accu-stock but for the price its hard to go wrong cause what I priced its almost $200 less than the one with accu-trigger and acuu-stock but no scope

Not sure if your hooked on Savage but if your not and you are looking for something around $500 or less then take a look at this

Thompson/Center Venture Bolt Action I know most places are selling these for $549 and you get a $50 mail in rebate.
These guns are very accurate (I know 2 people that have purchased in 270) detatchable mag and adjustable trigger
Plus its Guaranteed to deliver Minute of angle accuracy... 1 inch groups at 100 yards

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/venture.php

I have handled the venture and it feels nice, I like the bolt and trigger. I would buy one if I was in the market for a new toy

·
Registered
44 Posts
well I will tell you this. I have had my 30-06 model 111 for 8 years now and its a great gun and very very accurate. Mine doesn't have the clip but would be a nice option and probably the only thing I would say negative about this gun but its not really a huge deal.

The FCXP3 has no accu-trigger or accu-stock but for the price its hard to go wrong cause what I priced its almost $200 less than the one with accu-trigger and acuu-stock but no scope

Not sure if your hooked on Savage but if your not and you are looking for something around $500 or less then take a look at this

Thompson/Center Venture Bolt Action I know most places are selling these for $549 and you get a $50 mail in rebate.
These guns are very accurate (I know 2 people that have purchased in 270) detatchable mag and adjustable trigger
Plus its Guaranteed to deliver Minute of angle accuracy... 1 inch groups at 100 yards

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/venture.php

I have handled the venture and it feels nice, I like the bolt and trigger. I would buy one if I was in the market for a new toy
I just looked at this link and that is a NICE rifle! Wish I had known about this when I bought my Edge this summer. It just looks to be a better package than the Sav. Edge. I like the idea of external adjustable trigger too. It's prettier than the Edge too......but I expect even with the 50.00 rebate, it would be more than I paid for the Edge package with the camo stock....these days money usually talks loud and clear.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I know of several places selling it for $549 minus the $50 mail in rebate and its $500 + tax

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Hey nbdeerhunter, can you give me an example of a local place with the Venture for that price ($550 - mail in rebate)? I've been looking around for them, and will probably be buying an '06 Venture before the end of fall. I haven't seen anyone with a price like that. Kisch has them for $699 on their website, which is the same price I saw at Moffett's. The Gun Dealer has them listed on their site for $599, but no mention of a MIR.

Le Baron in Quebec has them listed for $499, and mentions a mail in rebate, but to be totally honest, their website just confuses the heck out of me, so ordering through them could be a pain. I'd rather buy locally, but I can't justify spending $200 extra (almost 30%) just to support the local guy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Gun Dealer will let one go for $549 as he will match Cabelas Canada prices. My buddy and I just went and picked one up on Sunday(one that nbdeerhunter is refering to) and it is a nice piece!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The Gun Dealer will let one go for $549 as he will match Cabelas Canada prices. My buddy and I just went and picked one up on Sunday(one that nbdeerhunter is refering to) and it is a nice piece!
X2

The $50 rebate is done by T/C themselves so every dealer should be offering you that until end of Nov I think that is the deadline anyway

·
Registered
90 Posts
You just print the form off of the T/C Website.

·
Registered
229 Posts

A follow up to the Edge saga. Savage has dropped the Edge after less than a year on the market. It has been replaced by the Axis. Savage isn't saying if the Axis which looks exactly like the Edge has the "issues" worked out from the Edge design. They are saying it is a "new modern design."

Hopefully they got it right this time.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
A follow up to the Edge saga. Savage has dropped the Edge after less than a year on the market. It has been replaced by the Axis. Savage isn't saying if the Axis which looks exactly like the Edge has the "issues" worked out from the Edge design. They are saying it is a "new modern design."

Hopefully they got it right this time.
From what I have read only the name has changed....
Apparently another company had the "edge" trademark, so they had to change it...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a savage 111 with a steel clip and accu-trigger. Great gun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is just my opinion ... but , I didn't get a good impression from the edge the second i picked it up.A friend has the Edge in .270 winchester and it shoots 1" at 100yds. I think it feels cheap, but accuracy speaks.Personally I think it feels cheap and It feels cheap because the rifle is cheap. These aren't marketed for the fellows with a Cooper taste rather guys that want an accurate rifle that won't break the bank.Agunsmith warned me off of the Edge as he has been getting them in on a very regular basis (1-2 a week). Bolt problems, trigger problems and magazine locking tab breakages. He does praise the Stevens 200 and the regular Savage line though.

oh yea ... and i think the edge is just butt ugly. The pics look nice on the web sites , but the camo is a sort of failed digital wanna be snot green camo. Keep in mind this is just my opinion , I don't mean to offend anyone.

I thought the savage Edge was replaced by the savage Axis!?!? :S

I think you are better off with the FCX.(I.M.H.O)

cheers!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts