New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering from those of you that have your trail cams watching scrapes, about how often do bucks return to a scrape? the reason i ask is, i found lots of scrapes along the hardwood ridge that im hunting and set up one of may trail cams. that was on saturday and as of tuesday afternoon there wasn't any pics on in. i looked at the scrape when i checked the cam and it kind of looks fresher than what i remember, but im not real sure. i'm thinking possably it just looks a little different from all the rain, and the buck may have run into another hunter. i'm also wondering if the camera isn't on the fritz because its the oldest cam that i own and it doesn't like cold weather at all. i just don't have alot of faith in it anymore, but you know what it takes better pics than my newer ones. so if someone could tell me how often they get pics at scrapes it would help me decide the fait of the old cam.
thanks
WW

·
Registered
76 Posts
A buck freshened up a scrape just last week that had been on the ground since the last week of October where I hunt.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Best action I've had with cameras on scrapes is the last couple days of October, after that I don't see much action on scrapes as the rut starts to kick in and they don't use them much as they are actively after does. Not saying the don't use them but not near as much as the end of October. May be different where the B:D ratio is different.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I notice a lot of scrapes that were fresh the first week of November were not tended at all after the first week. All covered with leaves and dead tamarack needles now.

But I am noticing the odd new scrape here and there in the woods. They are usually only one or two and can be found on any trail here and there.

I think in the location where the buck starts the breeding season he makes a lot of scrapes in one small area. After those does are bred he moves on to look for other estrous does and he does not return to freshen those scrapes.

To some extent I think it is like a dog peeing on a bush. It's done while passing and he may well never return to that spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts