New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This idea just popped into my old noggin and thought it would be a great story piece. Being outdoors people, we have all experienced a mess or two in our time. Stories are fun to tell now but definately not at the time!

To start the discussion, one particular mess that comes to mind happened to me two years ago. My son and I were bird hunting for the day and upon the last stretch before ending our hunt, I got a flat tire. no prob! fixed it and was torn to either take the highway or go through the shortcut and hunt some more. Seeing we had two hours of day light left, of course I took the shortcut! What could happen? What would be the odds of getting another flat?

Well, The odds were pretty damn good because it happened! Here I am, an hour plus away from home and dark is approaching quickly. I was o.k. with this but having a concerned 6 year old was not the greatest of situations!

Thankfully, I was able to flag down help and the fellows had all the necessary gear to help me. I was able to make it home on a patched up tire and a spare. This was by far, the most expensive bird hunt I have ever encountered!

From that experience, I now have tires that are not two ply heavier than toilet paper but have a tread that could climb trees! I also carry enough patches and gear to change 15 tires without a worry!

·
Registered
140 Posts
During the 2009 season, me and my dad got stuck in the middle of the woods. We were in his 2 wheel drive truck when we got one of the tires stuck in some "hole". We jacked it up as good as we could and then started putting rocks underneath the stuck tire. I gathered big rocks for atleast 2 hours while he put them under the tire. We were in the middle of no where, and after a while I could have left that truck and never came back. After a couple hours (dont remember the exact time, but it was atleast 2 hours) an Aliant truck came through and helped pull us out. He said he was following his GPS to somewhere, and it told him to go through this road, which was in the middle of the woods, all torn up, and looked like someone hadn't been on it for weeks. Don't think I'll ever go on that road every again.

Another mess was this past hunting season when I hunted for 6 weeks without seeing a buck, then got busted by a mature 8 point with the wind in my favor. Could have cried.

I'm still scarred by getting the truck stuck.

The buck, not so much. It's hard to complain when you see a deer like that in the woods. Thats why its called hunting, and not shooting
. I learned a lot that day, and realized why I hunt.

·
Registered
271 Posts
A couple weeks before deer season I wanted to go out to my hunting spot and set up my tree stand. So i'm packing all my gear into the car and the girlfriend calls saying that she wanted to come out for the drive. I figured it would be nice to have the company for the long drive! Finished loading all the gear and picked her up.

I want you to keep in mind that she never hunted/fished before she met me
. On top of that she isnt very familiar with walking in the wilderness.

Once we arrived to my spot we divided the gear between us for the walk in. Once we arrive to my actual baiting site, I went to work setting up the tree stand. Infront of my treestand there is a small active brook about 2 or 3 feet infront. Well did you ever walk somewheres where there used to be a brook but it dried up? If not i can tell you its juste like muddy quicksand

After about a half hour, I'm about 12 feet up a tree still setting up. She gets bored and decides that she wants to do a little adventuring of her own. I figured really how bad could it be that she looking around at some trees and stuff. Of course I don't mention anything.

All of a sudden I hear her scream from the top of her lungs (must be why I didnt get my buck haha
). I look over and she walked onto a dried up part of the brook and was hip-deep in mud hahahaha. Once she got out its needless to say her pants were completly soaked and muddy.

It was a pretty cold day so she ended up having to take her pants off right there. Since were in the woods, she had to put her rubber boots back on for the walk out. So picture this, shes got her winter coat on, only panties and rubber boots (by far one of the funniest things i have ever seen
). Then I thought to myself, if we end up running into some old man on the way out, he might have a heart attack hahaha

·
Registered
220 Posts
This idea just popped into my old noggin and thought it would be a great story piece. Being outdoors people, we have all experienced a mess or two in our time. Stories are fun to tell now but definately not at the time!

To start the discussion, one particular mess that comes to mind happened to me two years ago. My son and I were bird hunting for the day and upon the last stretch before ending our hunt, I got a flat tire. no prob! fixed it and was torn to either take the highway or go through the shortcut and hunt some more. Seeing we had two hours of day light left, of course I took the shortcut! What could happen? What would be the odds of getting another flat?

Well, The odds were pretty damn good because it happened! Here I am, an hour plus away from home and dark is approaching quickly. I was o.k. with this but having a concerned 6 year old was not the greatest of situations!

Thankfully, I was able to flag down help and the fellows had all the necessary gear to help me. I was able to make it home on a patched up tire and a spare. This was by far, the most expensive bird hunt I have ever encountered!

From that experience, I now have tires that are not two ply heavier than toilet paper but have a tread that could climb trees! I also carry enough patches and gear to change 15 tires without a worry!
Man can I relate to that. Just Sat I loaded up my sled to go coyote hunting and when I was almost there I blew a tire on the trailer. I left the trailer and the sled there and went and got a new tire for it. When I got back I noticed the other tire was low for whatever reason. I took that tire off and took it to the nearest garage for air. I went out looking for the elusive coyote all day and loaded the sled to go home. On the way home I blew the new tire again. F**k*** great. Looking closer there was a small piece of metal that had come off the trailer and cutting the tire. I guess somedays you minds well stay in the woods.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Shot an 8 point one morning about 10 am. After a hard drag I finally got him to the end of an old road. Worn out from the drag I decided to go get my 2 wheel drive truck and try to get it to the end of the road. Drove about 20 ft. and got it stuck. Tried everything I could to get it out and just couldn't. Went back and drug my buck the rest of the way to my immobile truck. Had to walk into civilization. Got to a phone by dark. Wife picked me up and by 10pm I was finally home with my truck. Father in law had to come pull me out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One mess that my wife got into and I still feel the ramifications for is the time she hopped a ride out to the camp and the vehicle broke down. I had left early for out annual Thanksgiving hunt and my wife was to come out with my cousin and her husband.

Long stort short, their vehicle broke down and they were stranded for hours and never made it to the camp but was able to find help, get turned around and went home. None of us were worried that they never showed up and figured they decided not to come as sometimes they decide at the last minute they are not making the trek out.

I went home on Sunday or monday ( cannot remember) and was met with one really upset wife! Not being my fault, I found my self in scrape and mess all rolled into one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts