New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on doing some deer shed hunting this year. I have never actually gone into the woods for the sole purpose of finding sheds so its new to me. Just wondering if there are any helpful tips that might make the process a bit more productive. I suppose theres alot of luck involved like anything else. I have heard that along fence lines are a good place to look. Makes sense to me, but what works for you guys?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Find a place there was a good population of deer during Dec and Jan, and hit the heavy cover when theres a little bit of snow left.It will show you where they travelled and bedded..
You can over look antlers very easy and as i shed hunt i like to toss an antler i find up through the brush ahead of me with my head turned or eyes closed and refind it to train my eyes for the next one..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I plan on doing some deer shed hunting this year. I have never actually gone into the woods for the sole purpose of finding sheds so its new to me. Just wondering if there are any helpful tips that might make the process a bit more productive. I suppose theres alot of luck involved like anything else. I have heard that along fence lines are a good place to look. Makes sense to me, but what works for you guys?
Looking for sheds where deer do not winter is a waste of time. If you know of any wintering yards.... try there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
scraprack,cedar swamps and apple orchards are also good places to look. It takes a lot of time and leg work also.When I was younger I spent on average 6 hours a day shed hunting.I have collected almost 300 shed antlers. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Gonna see if I cant get out this weekend and see what I can find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts