New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the contractor moved his equipment in yesterday to start cutting for me. We are doing some shelterwood and select harvesting on the block that we are developing as a wintering area. It's only about 20 acres in size and we cleaned off a few acres at the back last year at this time to create some browse and are doing some work on the rest of it this year to make it a little more suitable as a wintering block. We were out looking at it today and it was exciting to see some deer are overwintering there this winter. Contractor said he saw a couple yesterday when he moved his equipment in and a few more today when he was opening some skid trails. Should be a good time to do the work as the extra food should carry the deer through the rest of the winter in good shape.

Been thinking about scarifying the back few acres this year or next and planting cedar. I'll have to come up with the $$ on the fencing costs and the difference on the scarification and replanting so I'll have to crunch the numbers to see if I can do it. If not I'll let it come back natural for the browse.

I'm anxious to see it when it's done.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Good job Bowtech You should have one of the best deer properties in the province if you keep it up no doubt. Like trapper said I would love to come take a peak of what your doing out there to give me some ideas for our 150 acres. I know its alot to ask.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts