New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I'm blown away at what I saw. I stopped in at a registration station and saw a guy tagging a fawn. He was about 60 years old and had is wife with him. The guy registering the deer asked the guy for his license but then dummy motions to his wife to get out of the car. Apparently she shot the deer. Well at least had the license. They go inside and then the guy puts the tag on the leg. As he's doing this the dummy start telling the story behind the dead fawn. He said he saw 3 does and by the time he got his door to his treehouse opened they were at 250 yards and he shot and hit the fawn. That's right! HE SHOT!

Just prior to this he was talking about not seeing much and that they give way too many Antlerless tags for zone 22 and half of Tracadie is down shooting everything. He said "That's what the problem is"

The problem is HIM! He's not better then anybody doing the same thing. So Mister Cocagne. Take your little fawn home and I hope you get food poisoning. This A-hole has probably been doing this his whole life and I bet anybody that is part of his gang is doin the same.

And to top it off he has his own antlerless tag but decides to get his wife to use hers.

I couldn't believe my ears!

I wanted to punch is face off. What a knob.

After I decided to ask the registration guy "what the hell was that"? He told me that has been going on all season. Even some guys coming in with button bucks looking to register as a buck.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I bet that a significant number of the deer registered in NB are shot this way. I have heard of almost as many deer shot this way as legally.

I met one guy this season who bragged to me about it. If I could have ID'd him to the fish cops you can bet I would have turned him in. I know another guy who bragged to me about it last year to. He went out west for the year. If I see him in town again, I'll report him too.

It's selfish and just plain theft. There's no reason why some guys should be allowed to shoot several deer just because they know a bunch of senior citizens or guys too lazy to pack their own rifles into the woods for a few days.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
A lot of people have a vision of a poacher being slums jacking the fields and road hunting at night.

This is a prime example of daylight poachers, wayyyyyy too many of them in this Province if you ask me.

All the efforts you put in to protect the herd, practice sound management, pass up younger bucks, etc, all out the window when these pr#%%#ks roll around...

·
Registered
495 Posts
This is far less of a problem then it once was. "Back in the day" before the 48 hour rule ( and I wonder how closely that's checked) it was very common for a hunter to shoot a deer and have the their spouse buy a license so he/she could tag it and allow the hunter to go get another one.

But while I agree with you that it's a despicable practice but at least the deer was tagged. Better then the "camp meat" practice or "hey Mr(s) deer registration person, could ya add a extra 100 lbs to the weight estimate?" scam or the "oops, wrong sex" and leave it to rot routine.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Want to add that I have shot a deer for someone else before, that is to put him down after a questionable shot and a long tracking job. The hunter, who had drawn first blood and was his first deer, was ecstatic that I had found his deer and finished it off for him. Totally different circumstance I guess.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I totally agree bull's eye, if i had someone else helping me track a deer i took the first shot on, i would rather if they saw it first to make sure it didn't get away to die somewhere else than to wait for me to finish it off. To me that's much better than to have it get away and die hours/days later where we can't find it

·
Registered
317 Posts
At least it was recovered, taged, and will most likely not go to waste. Not condoning this practice but ive seen and heard a lot worse than this recently. There is a lot less ethical hunters than this guy out there at least he harvested what his wife
killed.

Hope he doesnt fill his own tag this year though.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
At least it was recovered, taged, and will most likely not go to waste. Not condoning this practice but ive seen and heard a lot worse than this recently. There is a lot less ethical hunters than this guy out there at least he harvested what his wife
killed.

Hope he doesnt fill his own tag this year though.
You should read Bucknut's post again, based on his recollection, he didn't recover, he SHOT it for her....totally different ball game if you ask me.

When recovering game, every effort should be made by the hunting party to end the suffering of the animal as quickly as possible, that's the ethical way of hunting, respect what you hunt.

In this case, no ethics at all, the laws were broken...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You should read Bucknut's post again, based on his recollection, he didn't recover, he SHOT it for her....totally different ball game if you ask me.

When recovering game, every effort should be made by the hunting party to end the suffering of the animal as quickly as possible, that's the ethical way of hunting, respect what you hunt.

Makes me wonder if you should be required to have your conservation/education card to buy a license?
Same for the moose draw, to try and keep some from putting their name in under a dozen other "hunters" names just to get drawn?

·
Registered
317 Posts

Lol... I did read his post and I did realise exactly what he said, I know this hunter shot the deer illegaly or rather shot it legaly and then illegaly tagged it with his wifes tag but at least he recovered the animal, tagged it (with his wifes tag) and registered it and I assume harvested the meat that is what my point was, feel free to read my post again partner.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Got it, still not excusable.

Makes me also wonder how many surplus tags are sold by the Province to ''tag'' along hunters.....pun seriously intended.....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Got it, still not excusable.

Makes me also wonder how many surplus tags are sold by the Province to ''tag'' along hunters.....pun seriously intended.....
I would say lots, I would like to say less than when I was a young lad .... but truthfully maybe I just don't see it anymore amongst the guys I hunt with / camps I visit.

....... again It is difficult for me to Imagine too many people being part of a Moose hunting Group consistently where they do not observe this happen quite a bit. Our system practically encourages it .... or IT CERTAINLY DOESNT DISCOURAGE IT.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Not certain I really have an issue with this.

Providing his wife was with him when it was harvested. At least it was tagged, and accounted for. He could have shot it, and said nothing about it.

I recall a post on here a while ago where a big buck was hit by a car, and someone on this forum asked the cop if they could tag it.. how is that any different?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I know a guy who shot two yearling bucks for his mom and dad and then he had a guy ask him to find him a doe and he did, in his crosshairs.Thats 3 i know of for him.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I know a guy who shot two yearling bucks for his mom and dad and then he had a guy ask him to find him a doe and he did, in his crosshairs.Thats 3 i know of for him.
That's excessive... and its different from shooting an animal for your spouse, 'that is present with you'. I am not suggesting its ok to go and shoot deer for your clan... but I have no issue if someone shoots one for their spouse... "as long as they are present to immediately tag it"

·
Registered
495 Posts
Regardless of how we each feel, the Hunting legislation is quite clear on this practice.

from the regs....

"5(3.1) Subject to subsection (3.11), no person shall kill
more than one deer in the Province in any year, whether
the deer is an antlered deer or an antlerless deer and regardless
of the type of licence under which the deer is
killed.

5(3.11) A person who has been issued a class III licence
in accordance with subsection 3(4.1) shall kill no more
than two deer in the Province in any year.

3(4.1) The holder of a valid class III licence may be issued
a further class III licence under paragraph 3(1)(c) if
the holder

( a ) during the period referred to in section 11.2, kills
an antlerless deer with a bow in wildlife management
zone 27 as authorized by a valid antlerless deer validation
sticker,

( b ) surrenders the initial licence to the Minister, and

( c ) presents the Minister with the copy of the registration
permit issued under paragraph 17(1)(d)."

And in general, from the Hunting Summary (pg 11 of 32).....

"White-Tailed Deer
• It is illegal to tag a deer killed by another
hunter."

·
Registered
495 Posts
Regardless of how we each feel, the Hunting legislation is quite clear on this practice.
You are correct, and the legislation if taken to the letter also makes it illegal to trap a house mouse, without permission.

34(3)Every person commits an offence who
(a)traps or snares wildlife, other than beaver, bobcat, fisher, marten, mink, otter, raccoon or red fox, unless authorized by licence issued under this Act or the regulations, or
(b)traps or snares beaver, bobcat, fisher, marten, mink, otter, raccoon or red fox unless authorized by licence issued under this Act or the regulations.
34(4)Notwithstanding subsections (2) and (3), the owner or occupant of private land, or a person who would be entitled to hold a licence issued under this Act or the regulations and is designated by an owner or occupant of private land may, in accordance with the regulations, hunt, on any day and at any time, except during the night, or trap, snare, remove or relocate on any day and at any time any wildlife listed in subsection (5) that is found under, on or above that private land, where necessary for the prevention of
(a)damage to private property, or
(b)injury to owners of private property or owners or occupants of private land.
34(5)The wildlife that may be hunted, trapped, snared, removed or relocated under section (4) consists of American crow, beaver, black rat, brown-headed cowbird, common grackle, deer mouse, double-crested cormorant, eastern chipmunk, eastern coyote, eastern flying squirrel, European starling, grey squirrel, groundhog, house mouse, house sparrow, little brown bat, long-eared bat of the species Myotis septentrionalis, long-tailed weasel, meadow jumping mouse, meadow vole, mink, muskrat, northern flying squirrel, Norway rat, porcupine, raccoon, red fox, red squirrel, red-backed vole, red-winged blackbird, rock dove, rock vole, short-tailed weasel, star-nosed mole, striped skunk, varying hare or woodland-jumping mouse.
34(6)A person may apply in person or in writing to the Minister for written authorization to hunt, trap, snare, remove or relocate any wildlife referred to in subsection (5), or any other wildlife, that may cause damage to private property or injury to owners of private property or owners or occupants of private land.
34(7)Notwithstanding subsections (2) and (3), the Minister, if satisfied that the hunting, trapping, snaring, removal or relocation of wildlife proposed under subsection (6) is necessary for the prevention of damage to private property or injury to owners of private property or owners or occupants of private land, may give written authorization to the applicant, authorizing the applicant to hunt, trap, snare, remove or relocate the wildlife, in accordance with the regulations and with the terms and conditions set out in the written authorization.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts