Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baiting Ban
Should baiting for deer be banned?
Yes1217.14%
no3854.29%
Don't care2028.57%
Do you hunt over bait (food placed by you)?
Yes2028.57%
No1927.14%
Sometimes3144.29%
Do you think a baiting ban would make for better hunting?
Yes1622.86%
No3854.29%
somewhat45.71%
don't know1217.14%

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While I hunt over bait sometimes I wouldn't care one way or the other if baiting was banned or not as I have taken just as many deer bow hunting without bait as I have hunting over bait. I do think it would make for better hunting as I believe the huge influx of bait piles in the fall throws the normal deer travel patterns off.
What do you think?

·
Banned
348 Posts
I hunt in thick woods so baiting helps increase deer sightings but it has only produced 1 nice buck for me. I actually hate baiting because I feel like I'm not really hunting. I don't care if they ban it, the only advantage to banning it would be leveling the playing feild, so to speek. As for better hunting, only a scientic study could determine that. The more I think about it, I wish they would ban it so my shoulders and back wouldn't hurt as much...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Should baiting be banned? I don't care

Do I hunt over bait? sometimes I put salt licks out and throw a few apples and pumpkins around, but most of the 25 years I have hunted I've not done this, my father and grandfather taught me everything I know about hunting, baiting was never anything that was mentioned... but finding the places where deer naturally feed was.

Do I think banning baiting would make for better hunting? Yes I do, alot of hunters who do nothing but stand in the tree's over a pile of apples would be lost if they had to hunt without that pile of apples... there would be alot more deer and alot more hunters walking in circles without a clue as what to do without that big juicy pile of apples to lure the deer to them lol. (not saying there is anything wrong with baiting, to each their own)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I put bait out but to be honest its more to stop the deer for a trail cam picture and also for my dad and wife. I personally could care less and have never really had much luck hunting over bait anyway. I think the reason for this is the ample natural food sources in the area I hunt. I put apples out and the does pick at them but that is about it. Did manage to shoot a spike a few years back over an apple pile.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I don't hunt over bait and never have. A lot of my buddies do and wouldn't think of hunting any other way. Personally I think it should be banned. Would it make for better hunting ? Depends on your definition of better hunting, if better hunting means seeing more deer then probably not, but if better hunting means less time sitting around and more time actually out in the woods tromping around looking for deer and hunting...then yes it would. One thing I do know for sure, banning baiting would make for better hunters....

·
Registered
726 Posts
No it shouldnt.

Would it make a big difference? I dont think so. If I remember correctly the deer kill last year was around 4,150 for the ENTIRE province. Thats freaking pathetic. They should do a survey with each deer killed and see how it was killed ie; baiting, still hunting, stand hunting no bait, driving deer, driving in your vehicle, food plots etc.

I like baiting myself during the bow season. Gives me a perfect 20 yard shot. Gives me time to decide on shooting or not. Gives me a GREAT shot to make. As far as not killing mature bucks over apples I disagree. I would guess Boxers son who just killed a nice buck with his bow (gallery pics) over apples would disagree also. Some of the guys on here think the only "REAL" way of hunting is "THEIR" way. I say go hunting the way you see fit and enjoy your time afield.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Banning,the question is Y even contimplate it. If thats the case then no planting apple trees , no food plots, and while were at it why not ban ATV usage while hunting as well. The way it sounds to me is anything that gives you a better chance then hey its not hunting and lets bann it. If you took a pole with successful hunters I would fair to wager that a much higher success would be over bait or near bait. What about seniors or diasabled or new hunters or women. Take a young person hunting who has no experience in it at all, and take them out still hunting and walking for a week and see a deer or two if your lucky and see if they will go again! To each there own, Bow, Gun, Spear, Crossbow, who cares its all about getting outside enjoying nature and the wildlife. Cant figure out where people come up with ideas like this. No saying its your idea bowtech just mean rules like no crossbows for ex.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't think anything should be banned. all your doing is giving a hard time to one of your own . we have enogh non hunters doing that now . get real boys leave each other alone . Just because you are not likeing your own results doesn't mean it's your neighbors falt .hunt the way you want someday you may not be able to do annything. I think if we could somehow so an acurate anonomous survey we would probably discover that half the deer (especialy the socalled trophy deer ) are killed by people just out roaming around in a vehicle or atv realy not making any kind of efort or skills and just happen uppon them . why worry about the legal stuff ? worry about what you don't see

·
Registered
581 Posts
TRUE TRUE, Shot a nice 10 point a few years back opening afternoon walking in to my stand, he was bedded down in an old clearcut and I jumped him out of his bed. Long story short, now have him on my wall!

·
Registered
121 Posts
No it shouldnt.

Would it make a big difference? I dont think so. If I remember correctly the deer kill last year was around 4,150 for the ENTIRE province. Thats freaking pathetic. They should do a survey with each deer killed and see how it was killed ie; baiting, still hunting, stand hunting no bait, driving deer, driving in your vehicle, food plots etc.

I like baiting myself during the bow season. Gives me a perfect 20 yard shot. Gives me time to decide on shooting or not. Gives me a GREAT shot to make. As far as not killing mature bucks over apples I disagree. I would guess Boxers son who just killed a nice buck with his bow (gallery pics) over apples would disagree also. Some of the guys on here think the only "REAL" way of hunting is "THEIR" way. I say go hunting the way you see fit and enjoy your time afield.

·
Registered
627 Posts
A ban on baiting would be a ban on baiting. Lot of income would be lost to outfitters as the ban would probably be for everything. That's usually how the government works. I don't bait deer but I bait coyotes and I have baited bears. Some hunters can't physically get out there and hunt. Baiting makes it so they can at least have a chance of seeing a deer. I could care less whether someone baits or they don't. I'm sure many of the methods used by hunters aren't appreciated by all but I will defend their right to do it even if I don't personally practice.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here is my "excuse" for baiting. Call me what you want. I'm still learning.

I have NO idea what I'm doing. I am such a novice that I don't know where to start. I have no idea what a grunt or rattle is. I don't know what signs are. I have found some paths, but it's a heavy traffic area for wildlife and I don't know if it's coyote, moose, or deer. I hunt near bog, but not ON bog, so could be any. Camera has takrn pics of all except bear, and we see bear tracks too.

Now before I get flamed to shreds, I must admit I find baiting a pain in the ass, and I am SOOOO glad to see others posting that they hunt without baiting. I knew there was a better way, now I just have to learn it. My plan for this fall is very simple. I didn't have an adequate rifle so I secured a loaner to make an ethical kill rather than "try" with my .223. Second, I'm shadowing 3 or 4 different hunters this season. I figure the best way to learn to spot signs and get results is to watch those who have had results. Once I learn from them, I can pick and choose what I find suits me.

I agree that baiting probably tampers with the natural feeding habbits, but last year I literally walked around for a few days and gave up because I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't think about the effects of baiting until reading this very thread, and it makes sense.

I welcome any advice of any sort. I rely on Google for most of my info, but this is the sort of thing you can't just "Google".

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ban, don't ban, make little difference to me. I started using bait on some of my stands, sometimes when I started bowhunting, guess it really don't matter if I only use a small bag every few days or 20 lbs a day, get painted by the same brush apparently.

In any case, if it's banned, then it should be the same rule for all, period. If you can't get into the woods to hunt as some seem to think one should, how the hell can you deal with an animal after you shoot it. Haven't had to many stroll up to the road and flop over for roadside dressing.

But while the banning's going on, add the scents and sound producing devices. in other words anything that you can't produce with your own body, should be not allowed.

And even though I use my ATV, normally it's to retrieve the animal afterwards, I too like to walk in the woods and observe nature. Ban the hell out of them too, some states have "time of day" bans for motorized vehicles, would kill the hollywood hunting.

Hell, ban anything that would possibly make a deer vulnerable, no hunting allowed in feeding ares, near trails, roads or rail lines, no shooting them in their bedding area's, nor in the wind or rain.

Bottom line, hunters have used every tool they can to eliminate or reduce their prey defenses since the dawn of time. Now that hunting is largely a recreational activity, one can be more choosy if they wish, to harvest a deer. Say, use a bow or a single shoot flintlock rifle. Or arbitrarily choose some other criteria to determine if an animal fits it before harvesting it.

For all you who think deer run miles out of their normal area just for a intermittent pile of apples, you have your blinders on. If the deer are not there to begin with, no amount of apples are going to change that, there's more food available for them you seem to realize. After all, they survive the winter when the ground is covered up. A veritable smorgasbord any other time of the year.

I truly get tired of elitist hunters telling everyone else how to hunt or not hunt. We have enough problems with poachers and anti's without dishing it out amongst ourselves.

Now, wheres my thorn-berries, needs to start baiting the partridge cuz i'm too fat and old to tramp the woods.

·
Registered
270 Posts
So it takes no skill to dump a load of apples and go out and kill a deer off it? I'll tell you one thing girlscout, baiting is a tool, and those who use it are no less "skilled" than those who don't. I've shot deer over bait, I've tracked deer and killed them, shot bucks stillhunting, out of stands overlooking trails, out of ground blinds, even lucked out and shot a few out in cuts while I was driving in the woods. Ive shot a few on farms, some 50 kilometers out in the 'woods". But none were easy. Alot of time went in hunting and scouting before each was tagged. If anything, more time and work went into the ones that were shot over bait. The same statements have been made on this site time and again, and some are of the opinion "I don't hunt that way, ban it". As hunters we should discuss increasing hunting opportunities and techniques, not banning them. It is one thing to state your opinion that it should be banned, but no need to ridicule people who use the tactic. It is not a sure fire trick for success, no more than putting out a barrel of bait guarantees you a bear. I would love to track a buck, but today wasn't a good tracking day in my area, so being the unskilled amateur that I am I sat one of my stands and didn't kill a deer over bait for about the tenth time this bowseason. Maybe a "skilled" hunter will take pity on me and give me a steak before the season is over

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not saying baiting should be banned, in fact I don't think it should. Saying that, it wouldn't bother me one way or the other if it was, just my opinion. I posted the questions to see what percentage of people hunted over baits and to see if it corresponded to how many thought it should be banned or not cause I was kind of curious if it would be similiar.
Does it take as much knowledge of deer habits, skill, etc to bait a deer as some other methods...no. It is a lot more work though. You can be a skilled hunter and still hunt over bait but it is also true that many who hunt over bait have a less intimate knowledge of deer than those who hunt by other methods. That is one of the reasons that SOME hunt over bait and not by other methods. Not saying that is wrong but it is true.
Case in point...I have a friend who is exceptional at taking deer over bait. Has probably shot more deer over bait then I have with all methods combined. We went on an hunt to Pennsylvaia together where baiting is not allowed. He was completely lost as to how to actually hunt deer without bait. He didn't know where deer would bed, he didn't know what funnel/pinch points looked like, he didn't know how to determine where or how deer would move through an area, didn't know to be downwind on bedding areas or trails where the bucks would scent check, etc., etc. etc. He said he'd never go back as he felt lost. He is a great hunter by NB standards but he doesn't understand the quarry he hunts.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Guess we will see by the end of november which unskilled and skilled hunters will be successful. GRINR you are some arragant for someone who has never met any of the people you are bashing! Who cares what others do, and if sitting over bait took no skill at all, then there wouldnt be a 8% sucess rate in NB. If your such a great white hunter you should be doing seminars and workshops at fish and game clubs through out the province, because apparently people that bait deer cant hunt, so you maybe could show them the way.

Get over yourself.

·
Banned
223 Posts
I can burp a reasonable facsimile of a buck grunt and make fart sounds with my armpits ...would they meet your criteria?
hahahaha. Too funny. I think the best part is reading this with that profile pic! Always wanted to meet a girl that could make fart sounds with her armpits and burp other assorted game calls

Oh yeah the baiting thing. Ummm....to each their own. If they get rid of "baiting" then I wouldn't freak out, but I think those that put out food plots and hunt directly over top of them are baiting as well. I am afraid that this distinction would never be made in any rule change. Do I get to keep my salt licks, Deer Cocaine, C'mere Deer, Tinks, Code Blue, Scent Bomb, etc...... maybe we should ban deer crystal meth as well so that doesn't catch on in some areas.
[insert armpit fart and burp grunt here]

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
As many of you know from my stories, (or "will know" more when I finish that thread) I have killed many a buck by still-hunting on crown land many years ago.
So I "do" know "how" to hunt.
But I now bait deer for bow. If you are going to ban it, then ban it for rifle. I do not want to shoot a deer with rifle over bait. That's just not me. With a bow it is still a real thrill!
Back when I started bowhunting, and baiting...deer patterns were not affected as much. Because very few were bow hunting anyway. Now that everyone is doing it, it is affecting patterns of course.

I think that you would see a big benefit if it were banned for rifle, because less deer would be taken in rifle season.("no question about it")

Girlscout: In my opinion it is "way" far easier for anyone to sit and watch a field, and when a deer comes out in that field. Shoot it with a rifle...Than it is to shoot a buck over bait with a bow!

And Bowtech: No offense meant (because I'm sure you have worked hard for, and earned all of it) ....but I find it quite arrogant that the member who would start a thread like this one...pretty much has his own little game management operation going on.
Which is a lot more of a hunting opportunity that many on here have.

The bottom line for deer hunting to improve in this province? Is that it "has" to go back to the way it was in the 80's! The woods "have" to be allowed to grow back, so those deer have some trees to hide in!

Then hunters are "Forced" to go into those woods to find them. Massive clear cuts have ruined deer hunting. Making it easy for poachers, night hunters ,road hunters.

The only way for this to happen is set aside some large areas for hunting only, "no cutting". Except some small browse inducing cutting, that is off limits to the hunt. Then you have to leave this area for at least six years before opening it to hunters! Then you make an eight point rule, and control doe take. Also strictly control access, coyotes..and maybe some winter supplemental feeding(because the cedar is scarce now)

Then you charge a "reasonable" but high enough fee to hunt it. Lets say $1000 for a week) I'd pay it! If deer numbers were like they were back in the 80's. This will weed out the hunters that really aren't serious(and so therefore do not deserve). And are not willing to sacrifice a bit of their hard earned money to have better hunting in this province!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
this whole thread just annoys me in so many ways.. I'm not even going to bother commenting...

• Upvote
Reactions: SlickTrick
1 - 20 of 83 Posts