New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today i got call from my dad. He is a veteran hunter and has been in the woods his whole life. He has seen many animals and many coyotes. He told me that last evening he was drving the roads up towards shepody and was out by goose creek way, He said what he say at first he tough was a calf moose. Then he put his binoculas up and couldnt believe his eyes, He figures he seen 2 wolfes jet black with big bushy tail he said the rear end of the animal was at least 12-14 inched wide. He was positive there was no way they were coyotes. These were big animals at least twice the size of any coyote he has seen

·
Registered
129 Posts
funny you posted this....
just yesterday i was remembering seeing something like this about 10 or so years ago. at the time i was still living with my mother in st.martins. it was a cold winters day and out in the field i saw something sitting there sunning itself. first i thought it was a black fox. so i tried to sneek across the field to get a better look. but a 6'3" guy with a heavy winter jacket sticks out in an open field of white i guess. i realised it was alot bigger than a fox when i got as close as i did. it spotted me, got up and ran off. it had a big bushy tail, it was mostly black in colour with some brown or greyish patches. i wished i'd have taken a camera with me.

·
Registered
726 Posts
NO CAMERA = 100% Wolf or Black Panther sighting..LOL Sorry, I couldnt resist.

Let me get this theory straight: Bucknut wants to increase doe tags AND introduce wolves...Interesting..LOL

I,for one, beleive there are no wolves or cougars in NB. I know some insist they are here and I'm not going to get into a argument over it. I just look at the stat's (hunters/trappers/hikers/biologists/fisherman etc) and they do not support NB having wolves or cougars. All "sightings" are always unfounded, and I already know about the cougar hairs on the scent post...LOL

·
Registered
317 Posts
funny you posted this....
just yesterday i was remembering seeing something like this about 10 or so years ago. at the time i was still living with my mother in st.martins. it was a cold winters day and out in the field i saw something sitting there sunning itself. first i thought it was a black fox. so i tried to sneek across the field to get a better look. but a 6'3" guy with a heavy winter jacket sticks out in an open field of white i guess. i realised it was alot bigger than a fox when i got as close as i did. it spotted me, got up and ran off. it had a big bushy tail, it was mostly black in colour with some brown or greyish patches. i wished i'd have taken a camera with me.
Funney you posted this, I have a friend in ST Martins that I hunted with a few times down there that has lived in the area all his life and he has told me of a couple sightings that he was sure was a wolf, and he has spent alot of his 60 years in the woods down there and is not the type to ever bullshit. I had a hard time beliveing there was any wolves here but I am sure that he belives 100% in what he saw and that makes me a bit less skeptical.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i believe there are coyote/wolves in New Brunswick that are more wolf than coyote. I believe these animals carry a high percentage of wolf genes and this produces individual animals that are much larger and stronger than your average coyote. I also believe there are cougars in New Brunswick. I'm not sure of the origin of these animals or how many there are,but I do believe there are some here in the province.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i no my ole man and i no what he think about the woods and animals. And im gonna have to believe him on this one, Also 3 other witness in the vehicle one of witch said that the tail on the thing was 2 feet long. Wish he wouldnt of missed it, 150 yard shot. He said to himself well i no wolfes arent on the tag but coyotes are and it must be a coyote cuz we dont have wolfes but That was just to justify if he would of hit it, cuz he said theres no way it was a coyote lol.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Without a carcass to prove their existance, I understand anyone being skeptical.

But I'll present 2 comments for others to ponder.

1) If there are truly no cougars, why is there a specific law forbidding the shooting of these non-existent cats?

2) In 33 years of hunting and roaming the woods, I have only ever seen 3 (live and free) bobcats and 0 Lynxes, cats we all know exist. I don't spend as much time in the outdoors as I'd like but all cats tend to be reclusive animals.

·
Registered
229 Posts
1) If there are truly no cougars, why is there a specific law forbidding the shooting of these non-existent cats?
Same reason there is a law on the books that prohibits cattle drives through Rothesay without notifying the Sheriff.
Doesn't mean there are cattle drives in Rothesay just lots of obsolete laws that cost too much to remove so they remain on the books.

Check the date on that no cougar hunting law.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well today i got call from my dad. He is a veteran hunter and has been in the woods his whole life. He has seen many animals and many coyotes. He told me that last evening he was drving the roads up towards shepody and was out by goose creek way, He said what he say at first he tough was a calf moose. Then he put his binoculas up and couldnt believe his eyes, He figures he seen 2 wolfes jet black with big bushy tail he said the rear end of the animal was at least 12-14 inched wide. He was positive there was no way they were coyotes. These were big animals at least twice the size of any coyote he has seen
not disputing what your dad saw but I called out a coyote a couple of years ago in the coles island area in january that was jet black but was still the size of a regular coyote, could not get a shot on him. that was the first and only one that I saw in this color.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I definitely don't agree that having a law in the books is proof of something existing. There are some whacko laws out there.

It's naive to think that we know everything that's in the woods though, whether there are cougars or wolfs or bigfoot, who knows for sure?

I don't mean to start a fight, but I'm glad your father didn't hit whatever it was. If he positively identified it as not being a coyote and couldn't identify it, it's better than he let it roam on. Shoot things you don't recognize with a camera, not a rifle

·
Registered
726 Posts
I guess I'm naive..LOL Produce a single,one,numero uno (you get the picture) dead one and I'll beleive. Maine has 200,000 + hunters in the woods each year, NB has 50,000 + hunters in the woods each year, NS has thousands of hunters in the woods each year. This does not include the thousands upon thousands of traps and snares placed in the woods each year. Yet all that is ever actually killed are animals that we know are here. ITS AMAZING!!! LOL I'll Beleive it ONLY when I see it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
How do you know that?You are assuming that if somebody snared a cougar they would report it.Some people might be tempted to shoot,shovel and shut-up?
LOL LOL Your right, I'm assuming. I'm pretty sure if somebody snared a cougar they would be calling CTV News, W5, All local newspapers, and be riding around town with it on their hood until everyone seen it...LOL LOL Are you kidding me??? shoot,shovel, and shut up...LOL

Their is'nt a person around that could/would keep that a secret. LOL They'd be the ONE that proved their existence..

If you beleive they are here and thats fine, I dont and wont until a dead one/or a live one is captured.

Like others said Bobcats are elusive, I agree, I've only seen 1/2 dozen or so in 29 years of hunting in the woods, YET,I catch my quota each year when I set traps.

Even, Black bear are very seldom seen (at least where I'm at) until you set up a bait station.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Think about it?As a trapper,one might be reluctant to report killing an endangered/threatened species for fear of even more trapping restrictions,snaring ban etc.?

I agree though,most people couldn't resist being "the One" that proved cougars exist in NB.Not much one can do about a dead snared cat,but what if someone has shot one,either mistaken for a deer(?) or on purpose knowing it was a cougar,then got scared to report it?I know I for one wouldn't call DNR and tell them I shot a cougar.....but i might anonymously tell them where to find it,lol.
Just to comment on the cougar thing. Were not shure yet, but a friend of mine, this year at deer season. He got 2 pictures of a cat. Very large, 50-60lbs, brown hair like deer, long tail(over 12" long),black tip on tail, inside his legs(tiger kind of stripes,white and black), botom of belly kind of white.Showed this to few hunters at the camp, nobody knew for shure, wasn't bob cat, wasn't lynx, what is it. Shure is aiming towards a cougar.DNR was notified about pictures, they are really interested, so the pictures are in the process of being sent to them. So in the next few weeks we might have a cougar in N.B. ?????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Just to comment on the cougar thing. Were not shure yet, but a friend of mine, this year at deer season. He got 2 pictures of a cat. Very large, 50-60lbs, brown hair like deer, long tail(over 12" long),black tip on tail, inside his legs(tiger kind of stripes,white and black), botom of belly kind of white.Showed this to few hunters at the camp, nobody knew for shure, wasn't bob cat, wasn't lynx, what is it. Shure is aiming towards a cougar.DNR was notified about pictures, they are really interested, so the pictures are in the process of being sent to them. So in the next few weeks we might have a cougar in N.B. ?????????????????????????????????????????
Any chance of seeing the pictures? When I was younger I was out scouting for Moose with my Father and I "think" we saw a Cougar, but we didn't get any pictures. Any pictures I've seen of alleged Cougars have been of brown splotches

It was very near dark, and we were driving out of a trail on our 4-wheeler. About 100 yards ahead on the road we thought we could see a Coyote and Pup, and my father sped the bike up in an effort to get close and maybe run the damn things over. When we got to about 40 yards from them the large one ran off the road and we kept going. At about 10 feet the smaller of the two turned tail to run off the road and went right up a tree. As it was turning to go off the road, he said he could clearly see that it had a tail. I thought the same thing.

Not sure what it was, but the larger of the two was the size of a large Coyote, so who knows? As far as I'm concerned, I'm not sure what we saw, and I'm not sure what I remember about it, I was about 16 at the time. Dad's convinced it was a Cougar though, and he's not a story-teller.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sure sounds like a big lynx to me?
Other than the tail that is...but their tails are fairly long?Most people tend to over-estimate the weight of furbearers....peel the hide off them fluffy critters(yotes/fox/lynx/bobcat etc.) and there aint much left to'em.
So very true about weights. I hear people all the time seeing 40 lb red fox..LOL Try 15 lbs on the heavy side. People see a lynx track and say cougar because of the size. As far as cougars go, an adult will weigh 150 - 200 lbs. Think about that for a minute. We must have a smaller size breed up here because most cougar sightings in NB are of 50 pounders, wait, maybe its just a young cougar...

·
Registered
50 Posts
So very true about weights. I hear people all the time seeing 40 lb red fox..LOL Try 15 lbs on the heavy side. People see a lynx track and say cougar because of the size. As far as cougars go, an adult will weigh 150 - 200 lbs. Think about that for a minute. We must have a smaller size breed up here because most cougar sightings in NB are of 50 pounders, wait, maybe its just a young cougar...
Like I said were not shure yet what it is? I was speeking to my friend about it, he said he brought pictures to DNR and they were going to send it to Fredericton to be examined. We'll know in a few weeks or so I guess. You guy's might be right, might be a lyxn or maybe a big house cat, lol....... Stay tuned!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I tend to agree with nbguide on the size of animals in these sightings. I'm not sure about the cougar deal, but I find it strange that there isn't any hard evidence after all these years. But in regards to wolves - I know several people who claim to have seen "wolves" in NB, and, although anything is possible, I believe they are seeing large coyotes. If you are used to seeing average 25 or 30 pound coyotes, and you see a big 50 lb male, you may think "wolf". But a wolf is a big critter. I saw one at a distance while caribou hunting in Quebec, and we mistook it for a cow caribou at first! These things weigh 150- 175 lbs, they are huge. If you saw one there would be no doubt. Their tracks are also huge. The one I saw left a track about 4 inches across. I'm in the woods all the time, and I've never seen anything near the size of a true wolf track in NB. There are enough people hunting and trapping dogs in NB now, that someone would have shot a wolf by now, and I've never heard of anyone bagging a 175 pound dog in NB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's funny to see things and make them appear in your mind larger than they realy are. Just two years ago moose hunting my party and I noticed down a road what we thought were a bear and three cubs with a little scope ended up being a bobcat with three kids. Also seen bobcats in the woods almost every other year.
Lynx I've walked up on making a strage sqwealing sound in the middle of a trail maybe he just caught something? only seen a couple in the wild.
One day bird hunting heard something take off in a thicket and what I found was a doe that had just been killed by a cat it was fresh as the legs were still warm, earth kicked up from a strugle in one spot only like it was tied to the tree it was next to, it had claw marks in every direction behind its ears realy shredded them up good, pulled out my knife and dehided its neck to find a very lage impression of a bite mark the size of my fist. Pretty neat to find and kind of erry fealing thinking someones watching you.
As far as the wolf thing I'm sure that some are cross breading out there. My lab for one use to go out on his own adventure god love him ....black wolfs????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts