New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a very simple jerky recipe and it tastes awesome. My kids can't get enough

cut your choice of meat into very thin slices and trim off all the fat

MIX

1 cup soya sauce
1/2 cup worchester sauce
3/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp liquid smoke
1-1 1/2 water
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp seasoning salt

add this mixture to your meat slices & marinade over night (10-12 hours)

If you don't have dehydrator ( I don't) just use your oven. cover the bottom oven rack with foil so the drippings don't make a mess. Then lay the strips of meat on the other rack and put in middle of oven

I set my oven at 185 and keep the door open a crack to let the moisture escape. I find using the handle of a wooden spoon keeps the door open just enough. It takes a few hours for this process but its well worth it. (For some reason right now I can't remember the exact time in the oven but I have it written down somewhere.)

I usually just test a piece to ensure it is dehydrated enough. You want as much moisture out as possible so it doesn't go bad. Once its completely dehydrated it will last a while ....but trust me you won't have to worry about it sitting around very long

·
Registered
141 Posts
looks pretty good I'll have to try it out.I don't usualy make my own mix, I use HI MOUNTAIN JERKY MIX from Cabelas, I always pick up a couple of boxes whenever I'm down to Main, awsome stuff and easy to make, takes about 1-1/2 hoursin the oven.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use a vey similar recipe for my cut jerky.For my burger jerky I use a jerky gun and the high mountain spices.It's a good thing that I enjoy doin' up a batch of jerky because I can barely keep up with the demand from the wife and kids!I forgot to mention I use a Nesco dehydrator with eight trays.It takes about 4 1/2 to 5 hours for a batch.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds good! I use to make my own when I had a food dehydrator but never thought of using the oven, I will have to try this recipe. It's insaine how much they charge for jerkey in the store, I don't get why?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no prob guys...and I just purchased a Bradley smoker so no more oven jerky for me

·
Registered
116 Posts
looks pretty good I'll have to try it out.I don't usualy make my own mix, I use HI MOUNTAIN JERKY MIX from Cabelas, I always pick up a couple of boxes whenever I'm down to Main, awsome stuff and easy to make, takes about 1-1/2 hoursin the oven.
High Mountain Kits is hands down the best way to do jerky... I made a tonne of "homemade" batches and yes it was good but when I finally stepped over to the Kit I was blown away.. I will never make another batch on my own... The cure alone is worth every penny

·
Registered
141 Posts
High Mountain Kits is hands down the best way to do jerky... I made a tonne of "homemade" batches and yes it was good but when I finally stepped over to the Kit I was blown away.. I will never make another batch on my own... The cure alone is worth every penny
those kits are now available at Princess Auto in Moncton.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts