New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, just wondering how much shooting practice other guys do from a treestand like height? I tend not to practice at my specific treestand location, but I will shoot from back decks and so on to get practice in. I am trying to fit in a lot more of this elevated shooting this year. I really want to target (bad pun) on bending at the waist and having this position be much more natural in my shooting form. Just wondering what other guys do and how much they focus on this. I guess I am a stand hunter, but the majority of time that I practice it is from the ground. I am trying to correct this as 100% of the shots that matter for me are from the stand. Looking for a little balance. What do you guys do?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I usually set up one of my stands in the back yard a few weeks before the season, and shoot a bit from it. This year I got slack and didn't. I usually shoot an arrow at my bait pile before getting down each day at noon,(when hunting) just to keep my confidence up.
By the way, I have shot "all" of my half dozen bow bucks sitting down. I much prefer that method.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have practiced in the past from a stand placed in a tree at home. As long as you bend from the waist and remember it's not the distance from you to the deer but rather the distance from the base of your tree to the deer that is the true distance to use when picking a pin or setting the distance to shoot. There is a limit for each person as to how far then can bend before you have to drop your bow arm. My first buck was almost directly under my stand, that meant I had to sacrifice drawlength to get him in my sight. Luckily I have nailed a apple thieving rodent very close to the base of my tree a day early so my confidence was high. However, I would never recommend this shot, nor would I try to repeat it. I was lucky and successfully harvested him but it could have easily been a wounding shot.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Like others I usually hang a stand and shoot some out of it before the season but I spend almost as much time hunting from the ground as I do a treestand. Mind you I've taken twice as many deer from a treestand as opposed to hunting from the ground.
Like archerynutnb I usually carry a couple Small game points and pick a leaf or something to shoot at every couple of days or if I get a chance to shoot a grouse or hare I usuallly do that. Nothing like shooting live game to give you confidence. Almost like drawing down on a deer.
You should really practice from a stand and use your safety belt and get comfortable leaning into it. If you stand in a treestand to shoot the best way to get the proper form is to draw straight out as if shooting on the ground, lean into your harness and then bend at the waist. The first number of time you do it you will feel like your going to fall so it takes a little getting used to. The first time should not be when you have a deer in front of you. Personally I like sitting to shoot, less movement the better I figure but people will tend to drop their bow arm more when doing this and ruin your form. I still draw straight out and lean into the harness and bend. I find if I snug my harness tight when I'm sitting and keep the strap at about shoulder/neck high it is just right for when and if I decide to stand to give me the proper form.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've been lucky enough to have had a permanent stand for the past 3 years... well that's because I haven't taken that buck yet(I hope he's still alive hehehehehe!!!) I've spent alot of time there in the off season 'stump' shooting at random yardages in whatever shooting lane was available. Best thing I could have ever done for my confidence. I've tried to do that for other stands as well however in the preseason for those,.. same result though: confidence, confidence, confidence. You never know where that bugger'll pop up. Any minute spent shooting at the approximate conditions of your normal hunting situation is an investment and never a waste so do as much as you schedule (or your family) will allow.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a chance to do some more up high plunking of arrows on the weekend. More to come this week and weekend. I am pumped! I have been dreaming of opening morning lately and I mean that literally! The better half thinks that I am nuts. I am trying to get in as much time as possible/allowable. Sorry Hoytman, we can't convince all of them to take up the sport!hehe

My target is taking a thumping!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Was practicing out to 55 yards last night as well but not from the tree
. I just started walking back throwing arrows every which way then when I had them all out I'd move to them randomly, estimate the yardage and shoot. Did that 1/2 dozen times. Had to shoot over the wifes bushes and through the arbour on a few:D , made for some good realistic field shots especially on those ones where the vitals were hidden but by estimating trajectory you can still make the shot.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
I tend to shoot alot from farther out as well. (40-60yds).
(standing and shooting from your knees etc.)

Makes them 20yd shots seem close and easy.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Tis nice to have an understanding "better half", thats for sure.

Can't get her shooting or in the woods, but a least she doesn't give me much flak about being out so much.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mu'in, I get some flack from the better half. She understands that weekends, and evenings during the weekdays, are off limits unless they are run through MY hunting calendar first.

It all reverts back once that deer is down. She thinks I am taking the first thing I see to "get it over with," but I am afraid she is misinformed. I am waiting a little while for the big one!

More practice from up high last night. Running arrows out to 50 yards and feeling good! While target practicing a red squirrel that was getting into my feed bags full of apples committed suicide at 20 yards! I am glad I picked up a pile of new arrows though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts