New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are sink boxes or sink blinds still legal in Canada, and if so, does anybody have any plans on how to make them and to anchor them?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ive never seen anything that says they are illegal, ive hunted ducks out a pit blind before, worked great until the water came up after a heavy rain and flooded it, but the ducks never had a clue it was there

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey, If you're still looking I may be able to help ; I've hunted geese in sink boxes, both laying down and sitting models in about 4' of water. Just no better way to hunt these birds. We still own the sitting model, aluminium built but haven't used it in years. I wouldn't sell it but if your looking for a model to build one and tips, I can help.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Are sink boxes or sink blinds still legal in Canada, and if so, does anybody have any plans on how to make them and to anchor them?
They use them a lot in Quebec. For ducks, I think they may be more popular in coastal areas than inland, which would explain why you don't see many around here - the tides are too high.

Goose hunters use them all the time, though. They are deadly effective in a farmer's field . ..

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, If you're still looking I may be able to help ; I've hunted geese in sink boxes, both laying down and sitting models in about 4' of water. Just no better way to hunt these birds. We still own the sitting model, aluminium built but haven't used it in years. I wouldn't sell it but if your looking for a model to build one and tips, I can help.
Hey Multy, is that something you could post on here?

I have a cottage near the Northumberland Strait and would like to set one up there, along the South Richibucto Beach.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Multy, is that something you could post on here?

I have a cottage near the Northumberland Strait and would like to set one up there, along the South Richibucto Beach.
Yep, but it will be a while before I can get any pics. The box is stored in a barn about 150 clicks from here and I don't know when i'll be there again. a bit of advice though, you want to use these sink boxes in a small bay (couple miles). An area where you are not a the mercy of fast and high moving tides (3'low tide, max 5'high tide). you don't want to find yourself at the end of the cables at high tide and water to your armpits when you jump out of the box ; been there, done that..not fun. even seen the screws rip out of the mud and throw the box on its side, in the water, with me and the gun submerged...a long five minutes before the boat got to me but everything worked out ok !
a lot of equipment & organization needed to hunt that way but all worth while !
i could sketch out the box, screws etc if your still interested ; let me know.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, but it will be a while before I can get any pics. The box is stored in a barn about 150 clicks from here and I don't know when i'll be there again. a bit of advice though, you want to use these sink boxes in a small bay (couple miles). An area where you are not a the mercy of fast and high moving tides (3'low tide, max 5'high tide). you don't want to find yourself at the end of the cables at high tide and water to your armpits when you jump out of the box ; been there, done that..not fun. even seen the screws rip out of the mud and throw the box on its side, in the water, with me and the gun submerged...a long five minutes before the boat got to me but everything worked out ok !
a lot of equipment & organization needed to hunt that way but all worth while !
i could sketch out the box, screws etc if your still interested ; let me know.
Man, that would be awesome! I will be hunting inside of the barrier islands, in a bay. The tides are good like you suggested they should be. My uncle used to hunt there that way, but he passed away a while back and I never got to know how to use the sink boxes and how to make/install them.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts