New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals...
A lot of years ago when I smoked and chewed tobacco some while hunting, I took some nice bucks. I have friends and a brother who smoke and they have been successful deer hunters over the years. Still, I have often wondered if doing such things frightened the deer...especially when I was stand hunting.Was I spooking a lot of deer and big bucks that I would never see come by my stand ? Perhaps the deer I took while I was smoking just happened to be upwind of me. I guide hunters and always "suggest" that they refrain from smoking and chewing tobacco on stand. With the chewing, my concern is the spitting and noise it produces. With the smoking, its the constant arm movements as much or more than the odor the smoke makes.We use cover scents and scent killer and believe in them even though I know that many woods workers and outdoors people smoke and possibly chew so I'm sure most deer are familiar with the smell of tobacco being used in one form or another. Today, my question is what do you all think about these habits being pursued on deer stand and could they affect how many deer you are or are not seeing?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I know someone that I hunt with when chance allows that smokes. He has always been successful in his hunts.

I agree that it might be the movement more so than the smell, I don't partake in either (anymore) but every time we are out, we see deer that are in range for harvesting.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Honestly, I think you can smoke, chew, drink coffee, huff gasoline, waterproof your boots, or just about any other stinky activity...IF IF IF you play the wind correctly. Scent molecules can't travel upwind, so as long as your scent plume is going somewhere that you don't expect the deer to come from, then you should be good. For example, you can be standing beside a pulp mill or tire factory and you won't smell a thing, if the wind is blowing the right way.
That said, if you are hunting in a location where deer can come from any direction, then I'd be avoiding any smelly activity.
I have had lots of very close 10 yard deer encounters in the last week, and I haven't used any scent killing products at all (haven't even washed my hunting clothes yet). However, I'm hunting a location where the deer have limited movement options with predictable travel routes, and so I can usually set myself up in a spot where the deer won't smell my stinky-ass.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Might sound stupid, but I have shot alot of deer after starting a little fire to warm my hands up. I think the smoke from the fire blocks out my scent, and deer are very curious. Sometimes I will start a small fire of leaf and twigs and stand in the smoke to cover my sent. Again, sounds stupid and I don't know if it works or not, but I have shot many deer in my years and never had an issue with the smell of smoke. I have also seen bucks peeking at me through brush when I am cutting wood with the chainsaw, and when doing so I would have a large fire burning the trimmings. Sometimes there curiosity gets the best of them. Anyway, I smoke and I don't hunt from a stand, never skunked me yet

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont think it matters too much. I shot a nice buck at 20 yards two years ago after I just finished a smoke,I put out the smoke looked up and there he was broad side looking into the clup of bushes I was hidding in.I took a bull moose this year at 35 yards after a smoke.After I put the smoke out I made a call on the birchbark horn and out he came ready for a fight. In both cases I thought I was pretty crafty as the wind was blowing behind me and the area I was watching, in both cases that is where they came from. Perhaps the smoke covers our scent or they just get curious.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The smoke helped me get a nice buck. The wind circled down wind of it while I was smoking and it ran straight for me. A quick shot in the chest and there was the biggest buck of my life.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I usually will only smoke in my stand if there is not a lot of wind and a high pressure weather system as the smoke rises. If the wind is swirling around and a low pressure system(rain or rain moving in) I don't smoke(or fart!!!) However, the guy that I hunt with had to butt out his smoke to shoot his deer the last 2 years... and both of them were bucks!!!
The first year it happened he called me to come and help him at 8:10 am on opening day(gun). It was raining so I had on my head-to-toe hunters orange rain gear, I had driven my 4 wheeler into his stand, we were both smoking while we were gutting his buck... and a doe walked right up to us until she was about 20 feet away... and just stood there watching us!!! We even got the camera out of the backpack and took a couple of pictures as we knew that no one would believe us!!! She hung out there for about 45 minutes. At one point she seemed to be sniffing around a certain tree and when I pointed it out to my buddy he said that he had a leak there while waiting for me to arrive!!! She just seemed to be curious as she wasn't spooked by us or any scents in the area.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was talking to an elder gentleman a couple of years ago who went out to the woods, built a small fire, turned his little portable radio on, sat back about 35 yards in his chair and read a book. Got his deer every year. Most of the time it was a buck.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I was talking to an elder gentleman a couple of years ago who went out to the woods, built a small fire, turned his little portable radio on, sat back about 35 yards in his chair and read a book. Got his deer every year. Most of the time it was a buck.
What radio station? Most times i think its curiosity killed the cat, I think smoke is a good thing, deer are curious animals my nature, I don't think ive evern built a fire in the woods during the winter or helped my dad cut wood without having deer show up, this year i think im going to sit in my stand get my brother to cook something over a fire and get my dad to cut some wood, should have my deer in no time

·
Registered
565 Posts
Deer will always come to the sound of a chain saw in the winter because they have learned that chainsaw means trees down and trees down means browse they wouldn't normally be able to reach and food is scarce in the winter. I don't think it has anything to do with the fire that happens to be burning.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have had expierences on both sides...I have shot a nice buck just putting out a smoke and had deer blow when lighting a smoke maybe it was the lighter...as I smoker lol I do have the odd smoke hunting...nothing like I would normally...I believe IMO a deer can be put on alert from smelling smoke... seen it...as also I expierment allot on the blinds with this..not on bucks but does...had does into ground blind on apples... light smoke and see what happens..IMO they go on alert...cough and the gig is up lmao..if your up wind no prob as the case with the buck I shot...if the wind was blowing in the direction of my hunt i would personally not smoke and wait for a more suitable location and time...everything on your side helps it creates better chances IMO...If bye chance bucks are in full rut not much will detere them from where they are going lol...just my opinion and observation...No expierence with chew...I also ask my clients when hunting not too smoke...on that note a bear client of mine was a chain smoker...16 feet up in a ladder stand...he seen lots of bears while smoking...on that note I believe in the air your better off smoking than on the ground...Cheers Bam

·
Registered
317 Posts
I dont smoke but have hunted with several people that do and have had deer come from down wind while someone was smoking with their noses in the air and come strait towards the stand, I think that the movement and noise could be more of a problem for the deer than the smoke.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Smoking, Radios playing, Chainsaws running, Campfires roaring, peeing, books being read..LOL This is great reading..LOL Bottom Line is - Its all in what you have confidence and SUCCESS with. I have SUCCESS with being quiet, scentaway showers, bagging my clothes with fir boughs, spraying unscented again before hunting. If you have SUCCESS with doing all those other things then you should continue doing them. The bottom line is we're out there to kill a deer. The hunt is great and all but if there isnt a dead deer at the end of the hunt then its unsuccessful. Contrary to what some say about it not being about the kill, I BELEIVE it is about the "KILL" if it wasnt I'd leave my bow home and just sit in the stand with a camera. I truly believe smoking definitely DECREASES your odds at killing animals.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Smoking, Radios playing, Chainsaws running, Campfires roaring, peeing, books being read..LOL This is great reading..LOL Bottom Line is - Its all in what you have confidence and SUCCESS with. I have SUCCESS with being quiet, scentaway showers, bagging my clothes with fir boughs, spraying unscented again before hunting. If you have SUCCESS with doing all those other things then you should continue doing them. The bottom line is we're out there to kill a deer. The hunt is great and all but if there isnt a dead deer at the end of the hunt then its unsuccessful. Contrary to what some say about it not being about the kill, I BELEIVE it is about the "KILL" if it wasnt I'd leave my bow home and just sit in the stand with a camera. I truly believe smoking definitely DECREASES your odds at killing animals.
I agree 100%, I wouldn't be running circles around a campfire with a chainsaw in one hand and a cuban cigar in the other with the radio blasting Johnny Cash (as fun as it would be) but I don't think any of those things make it impossible to see a deer. I've lived all my life with more wildlife around my home than neighbors, seen deer while on the lawntractor, roasting weenies around the firepit, taking the dog out for a pee, plucking a turkey for dinner, watching the roosters crow, driving to work I always see deer on the side of the road... deer are use to us. If we were hunting up north where there is not a soul around for 100 miles it would be different, but deer are simply use to us here. They smell the smoke from our chimneys, they hear the loggers cutting wood, they are always dodging our cars and 4 wheelers. I think there is better luck sitting still with no sound and no foreign smells, but smoke is not really foreign, people who live in the country burn wood, and I am shure anyone who lives in the country and has apple tree's can say they have had a deer under it more often then not. When I am hunting I would rather the deer get a wiff of smoke then a wiff of me

·
Registered
726 Posts
[quote name='Winchester' date='16 October 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1287260728' post='7778']
I agree 100%, I wouldn't be running circles around a campfire with a chainsaw in one hand and a cuban cigar in the other with the radio blasting Johnny Cash (as fun as it would be)

That would be fun
I bet any other hunter in the area would leave when they seen what was happening..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a commitment Saturday morning so I couldn't get out for a morning hunt but finally got free'ed up at 2:00 PM. Sitting in a stand for 4-5 hours is a bit more than i can stand but i was determined to sit it out. Although i never smoke while in my stands, I did have a couple of smokes while sitting and did not see a thing. I went in to chack my trail cams yesterday and although there was no movement at my stand there was tracks just out of my view and just out of view of the cams. Very possible they came around but didn't come in due to the smell of cigarette....I think i will refraain from smoking in the stand in future.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here is a question... I am not big on scent-a-way scent lock stuff, never used it. I wash my hunting stuff with a homemade mix of scent free soap and a little borax, then wash it again with nothing but water, then dry it and put it all in garbage bags with pine boughs(sp?) that are in paper towles to keep from getting sap on my stuff. I have several pairs of hunting clothes and do this with them all, changing each day I hunt. I put bags over my feet and use a little duct tape around the top and wear a good pair of rubber boots. I wash with scent free soap top to bottom and brush my teeth before leaving with baking soda for minimal smell, and carry around a pocket of wintergreen leaves to chew that I find along the trail so the deer smell nothing out of the ordinary. I am shure by the time I am done even a hound dog could not track me lol! But for the question, after a few hours the crisp morning air is not as crisp, I can feel my temp rising, and I feel a little bead of sweat forming on my forehead. I open my jacket for some air and then feel the coffee I had a few hours back, it wants out. I go for a walk to another area away from where I am hunting so the deer won't smell my coffee aftermath when they come by where I am on watch. I go back and even though I have wintergreen leaves to chew I still feel like my breath is not 100%, so doing what I do or using scentlock, after hours without brushing teeth, after having a bead of sweat slide down my face and having a pee, does this mean that I am better of then smelling like a smoke? I think with or without the smoke the hound would be able to track me and the deer would be able to smell me. I figure from this point it is better to have a little lunch, maybe a snooze, chew some spitz and slowing walk into and along the wind in kind of a zig zag(very slowly) and hope to walk up on a deer who is also walking into the wind (as deer always do) because with or without the smoke, chances are good that deer is going to smell me. Ever be talking with someone in the car and feel like passing out because they have really bad breath? They don't know they do. After a few hours without brushing your teeth is enough for the deer to smell your breath, may not be enough for a human to notice, but to the deer it would be like the guy in the car. Does this sound far fetched, still better of to not smoke? Not saying I am right, just wonder if anyone feels the same way. This is not something I always do, sometimes I cover myself in smoke from a small fire to cover my smell. Again, just looking to see if anyone thinks they are totally smell free all day without having a smoke

1 - 18 of 18 Posts