New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some of the other posts on the state of our deer herd I started thinking about the reality of the situation.

1) After the deer season ended in 2007, were there members talking about the doom and gloom of the herd (est. herd numbers were 100-120k)?

The reason I ask that is because that was the modern era herd peak and if we were all happy with those numbers, then we have a consensus on an average herd number.

2) What can be done to crown lands to achieve an average herd of 100-120k? (We all know snow is the biggest factor)

Let's think realistically; small crown preserves with natural regrowth, food plots, small blocks of crown land being assigned to designated hunters to manage (say 10 acres), etc.

Try not to bash forestry as we all know they pay more to use crown land than us hunters and they are not going away.

3) What is a herd of 100-120k worth to you?

The current license cost does not provide enough financial resources to provide additional services or make a political change. Deer hunters provide government with $1,500,000+/- in revenue yearly, which is nothing compared to forest companies. Based on the current deer population of 70,000, I feel the current license fee reflects the quality of hunting.

If we had an average deer population of 100k (the additional 30,000 on crown land), what would you pay?

I personally would pay $100 and for every 1k more deer on crown land I would pay $1 (120k = $120 fee). Some or most of you may think I am crazy but it would be a lot cheaper than hunting out of province, which I will be doing next year.

Everything comes with a price, so what is your price?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm not givin the donkeys 5 more cents then I have too!!
Why should we, the poor hunters, have to pay because they cant manage a horse to water!!
You wanted opinions...Well Thats Mine Ca'monnnnn!!

·
Banned
159 Posts
Increasing licence fees would not necessarily increase government revenue. A $100 fee would stop ALOT of hunters from buying a tag. In the end do we want less hunters in the woods? I personaly would pay the fee but many would not.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hunters wanting to increase licence fees....................Thats an interesting thought.....I choose NOT to participate in that idea

I'm happy with the hunting in NB right now. I kill a buck each year, around 5,000 others do the same. If you need 200,000 deer in this province before you can kill one then you better find a different hobby.

·
Registered
542 Posts
how much does the forest companies pay the goverment lol.i think irving pays one doller a cord stumpage

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By no means do I think this is the best solution but it's at least a positive solution.

Wonksy, what solution do you suggest?

I also suggested other thinks, like permitting hunters to manage small blocks of land (ie. self manage the herd under teh direction of Mr. Cumberland).

There are pros and cons to everything.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how much does the forest companies pay the goverment lol.i think irving pays one doller a cord stumpage
Tax paying jobs, etc. The economic benefit is more than hunters. I'm not pro government guys, we just need to face reality that hunting is no a big revenue generator; therefore, gets lack of resources and concern. If a couple of hunters had a reasonable solution to help the herd and it provided our broke government with additional revenue, then something might be done.

At the end of the day, I'm going to hunt out of province every couple of years. No skin of my back about the current hunting......other than I care.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Want a moose tag: You thought people would think your crazy for being willing to pay $120 for a tag. I stated in my deer preserve thread that i would pay $1000 for only a weeks hunt. (providing I am going to see a number of mature bucks under my bow stand) (non Baited)in that week. So compared to me and the reactions I got...that makes "you" a very "sane" person!!

But seriously, I would be willing to cough up a fair bit of $$ if it would all work. But sadly.. to manage deer population you have to have "total" control of the situation...and without a border, or fence,or strict access enforcement..it will never work. That's why I too, am going to be looking at out of province alternatives in the near future.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pay absolutely ZERO and shoot a 1/2 dozen deer and 2 or 3 moose EVERY year so hell no,I'm keeping my hundred bucks for camp beer.......er,um....oops,sorry no,not me,that's my cousin that married a status card that does that.
Wow, that's a hole other thread

·
Registered
627 Posts
I wouldn't pay the extra $100, mostly because the government would probably chuck it into general revenue and not spend it on the resource. The money we spend now doesn't get used for anything to do with wildlife. I think our government, doesn't matter which party is in power, believes wildlife populations will manage themselves, so spending any money would be a waste. Every cost cutting tool used by governments in the past , usually only affect DNR and their ability to do their jobs.( gas rations, no O.T.)

·
Registered
125 Posts
A fee increase may not necessarily help. If the fee goes up, what is stopping the politicians (most of whom no little or nothing about hunting) from spending that money elsewhere? What we need is a NB conservation group which collects donations and Membership fees to protect deer and help the numbers grow. Even if we started a deer draw for both doe and bucks which restricted hunting numbers for even a few years, we could help the numbers out. The problem with out of province groups is that they don't focus on one place in particular. We need a group FOR hunters, for example Ontario has "The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters". If we had a reliable group, we could achieve great things.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A fee increase may not necessarily help. If the fee goes up, what is stopping the politicians (most of whom no little or nothing about hunting) from spending that money elsewhere? What we need is a NB conservation group which collects donations and Membership fees to protect deer and help the numbers grow. Even if we started a deer draw for both doe and bucks which restricted hunting numbers for even a few years, we could help the numbers out. The problem with out of province groups is that they don't focus on one place in particular. We need a group FOR hunters, for example Ontario has "The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters". If we had a reliable group, we could achieve great things.
Agreed, good suggestion. Do you want to organize it

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't pay the extra $100, mostly because the government would probably chuck it into general revenue and not spend it on the resource. The money we spend now doesn't get used for anything to do with wildlife. I think our government, doesn't matter which party is in power, believes wildlife populations will manage themselves, so spending any money would be a waste. Every cost cutting tool used by governments in the past , usually only affect DNR and their ability to do their jobs.( gas rations, no O.T.)
Agreed, but what if it was legislation that all the money went to managing the resources (not administration BS or other departments)?

·
Registered
125 Posts
ABSOFUKNLUTELY!!!!If we had a NBFAH,and it was mandatory to belong to said federation to purchase a hunting/fishing licence,just imagine the difference 100,000 angry,frustrated hunters and anglers could make at the polls.
Idk what you mean. I do not believe it should be necessary to be part of such a group, I just believe it should be optional. A group of hunters, helping with conservation, etc., and enjoying the hunt.

·
Registered
125 Posts
And how's that working out for ya so far?The deer are dissappearing,native trout and salmon stocks declining and threatened by invasives,our public forests are being sold out to the highest bidder,and we the stakeholders keep paying more and more for the "privelage" of enjoying the precious few resources that remain.

Over 100,000 NBers,or in other words 1 in 6 NB citizens,annually enjoy hunting and fishing,and pay for the "privelage" of doing so,yet we have no say in how these resources are managed?Good deal.
I don't think you understand what I mean. What I would like to see is a conservation group made by hunters because politicians don't help enough. Our money that is paying for our license is not doing enough for conservation of deer and other animals. If we had a group that collected funds and donations (but an optional group like DU or Delta Waterfowl), the money could go towards protecting land that deer use against forestry and if necessary, even hunting. As hunters, we need to ensure populations stay stable and we should work together to continue conservation of the sport we all love. Please tell me what I'm saying that is wrong.

·
Registered
542 Posts
thats the only way anything will ever happen if we form a federation or somthing to stick together but you have to have the numbers

·
Registered
125 Posts
thats the only way anything will ever happen if we form a federation or somthing to stick together but you have to have the numbers
First, start off with local people, then advertise on this site, etc., there are enough people here in NB.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We all ready have a federation, We just need to get the 100 000 or so hunters and fishermen to join!

THE NEW BRUNSWICK WILDLIFE FEDERATION. Strength in numbers.
I've never heard of that, how can I join?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts