New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice bear pics. Did you leave your coat in the trees?
Actually . . . I had a can full of stink bait up there, and I hung my sweatshirt over it to keep the crows out. But eventually a turkey buzzard got into it and ate it all . . . pretty sick. It was full of raunchy old spawn-filled smelts and lobster shells.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
x2 ,second to last pic looks to be a good bear.
Yeah. And I shot at him, but didn't get him. I don't know if I clean missed him, or if the bullet passed right through, or what. I watched him for about 20 minutes before I shot, so I wasn't shaky or anything. It looked like I knocked him on his backside when I shot, but I didn't find any blood or anything. The gun was dead on, and I should have shredded his lungs with the shot I took. Two other guys helped me look for any sign at all for hours the next day but couldn't find anything. I don't know what happened.

I shot at him with the .30-30. The next time I went in I took the slug gun again. At least with a 12 gauge slug, if you don't get an exit wound, you are still going to get blood coming out of the entrance. A .72-inch hole would be pretty hard for Mr. Bear to plug without leaving a trace somewhere.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It looked like I knocked him on his backside when I shot, but I didn't find any blood or anything.
Same thing happened to me this spring. Knocked him down from 400 yards and he took 30 seconds to get back up, looked for over 6 hours and found nothing, not even a drop of blood!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same thing happened to me this spring. Knocked him down from 400 yards and he took 30 seconds to get back up, looked for over 6 hours and found nothing, not even a drop of blood!
Well this was at 30 yards. No way that bear should have gotten back up.

My rifle jammed, or I would have gotten a second round into him.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good quality pics what kind of trail cam do you have? Looks like a very nice size bear in some of those pics.

Looks like a good setup as long as you dont mind heights
It was my cousin's Bushnell. It took great pix, but it didn't take many. I put an EZ Cam I bought on Amazon for $50 out later in the year. It took crappy pix, but it took way, way more, especially at night. I prefer the cheaper cam because I don't need to count the bear's whiskers, but I do need to be able to pattern him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts