Premium Member
2,759 Posts
as the topic says
Speed - how important is it to you and why or why not

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Code:
wHEN YOUR 18 IT'S ALL ABOUT SPEED!! But when you hit 40 it's about fenese. <br />
<br />
Soo true!

As to the question...Not very, I pick my bow more on how quiet it is rather than how fast it will go. My first compound (Proline Zephyr Magnum back in '85) shot 180fps and I still killed deer with it, more than I have on any one bow since. I got into the speed faze for a bit but found they were loud by comparison and you had to get down under 6.5" on the brace to get that speed which led to other issues, especially shooting with a low grip. Today most any of the compounds are IBO'ed at 300+ which is plenty fast enough. If it isn't then you should be buying a rangefinder instead of a faster bow.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Speed is near the bottom for me.I like a queit and forgiving bow.Alot of the speed bows how a small brace height and short ATA.
As BT said ,alot of deer were killed with under 200FPS bows.Accuracy kills not speed.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I agree that speed isnt the most important thing. But I will tell ya just because your bow is fast doesnt mean ya cant shoot it. I chose to have a speedier bow because i love my short pin gaps, The people who are saying, that there is no finess with the speed bows, or say ya cant shoot them are either have terrible form or they just think havent actually tried, the new speed bows, now im not sayin the pse omen or the apa. Im more less talking about my axe or the dream season evo. Cause yes i think the omen isnt a good hunting bow unless you are a perfect shot. Im not the best shot or do i have the best form. But with my `so called` unforgiven bow i can usually shoot under 1 inch groups, to 20 and 30 I rarely go outside of 2 inchs, And i can put my bow away for weeks, pull it out and shoot as good as if i have been shooting daily. There seems to be alot of guy/girls trying to get into this archery thing, and they are worried about speed/quiet/and all the other BS, All i can say is Just go pick some bows up and shoot them , dont read what the brand is or dont read what the speed is, or how much money they spend on advertising, dont listen to me,bowtech,hoytman,simplelife,or anyone else Just FEEL witch bow is yours, and buy it, Then tell us, and some of us will raz you and some of us will be glad to have another member of there favorite bow company. <

Ps. p

·
Registered
114 Posts
speed comes at a cost. I now have a speed bow that ratles the bow so much that I have to be carfull to make sure all nuts and bolts are always tight and somthing does not shake loose. very frustrating at times. I would give my left are for a bow that is quiet and I can trust.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
well ya must of bought a piece of junk, my speed bow is reliable, never had a problem with my previous speed bow by the same company, If ya dont mind me asking what make is your bow

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The only thing speed cost me in my bow, is money, nuthen else, i dont need to shoot any better then i do with my bow, Im not competing in vegas for money or i never will. But the animals i shoot at die, And i have never had any problem with my bows, Shoot them daily and never tighten nuthen If your bow is vibrating that much i think youn need to get it checked out something is wrong

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

Watch the bow hand torque

·
Registered
314 Posts
I agree that speed isnt the most important thing. But I will tell ya just because your bow is fast doesnt mean ya cant shoot it. I chose to have a speedier bow because i love my short pin gaps, The people who are saying, that there is no finess with the speed bows, or say ya cant shoot them are either have terrible form or they just think havent actually tried, the new speed bows, now im not sayin the pse omen or the apa. Im more less talking about my axe or the dream season evo. Cause yes i think the omen isnt a good hunting bow unless you are a perfect shot. Im not the best shot or do i have the best form. But with my `so called` unforgiven bow i can usually shoot under 1 inch groups, to 20 and 30 I rarely go outside of 2 inchs, And i can put my bow away for weeks, pull it out and shoot as good as if i have been shooting daily. There seems to be alot of guy/girls trying to get into this archery thing, and they are worried about speed/quiet/and all the other BS, All i can say is Just go pick some bows up and shoot them , dont read what the brand is or dont read what the speed is, or how much money they spend on advertising, dont listen to me,bowtech,hoytman,simplelife,or anyone else Just FEEL witch bow is yours, and buy it, Then tell us, and some of us will raz you and some of us will be glad to have another member of there favorite bow company. <

Ps. p
NBDH............PSE SUCKS.........................

Just kidding around,wise words,just like cars ,everyone got their favorites,.You don't have to go out and spend a fortune on a new bow-all the bow manufactors are putting out good bows,some do alot more advertising than some.I bought my new Bear last fall and really can't get a good feel for it,so I think this spring I will be purchasing a new bow.Get your hands on as many bows as you can before buying that is all I can say.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
yeah bowtech i agree with you that the omen is too much and does have torgue but im not comparing all speed bows to it, mine does NOT do that and neither does the destroyers that i have shot.

And hey simplelife, BEARS suck, well, not all bears, the truth 2 was very nice bow, but when they tried to step up with the pse style limbs, they simply FAILED, so thats your problem should of read the reviews on them bows, its no secret about the problems they have had, I think your crazy comparing the bear attack or carnige or whatever you bought to the axe , dream season, destroyers,mathews,darton,aliens,

·
Registered
314 Posts
yeah bowtech i agree with you that the omen is too much and does have torgue but im not comparing all speed bows to it, mine does NOT do that and neither does the destroyers that i have shot.

And hey simplelife, BEARS suck, well, not all bears, the truth 2 was very nice bow, but when they tried to step up with the pse style limbs, they simply FAILED, so thats your problem should of read the reviews on them bows, its no secret about the problems they have had, I think your crazy comparing the bear attack or carnige or whatever you bought to the axe , dream season, destroyers,mathews,darton,aliens,
Hey relax I was kidding about PSE,I am not comparing my cheap bow to the expensive bow of yours.
Sorry I should shut up since I am not in this upper class.

·
Registered
314 Posts

One last thing there is nothing wrong with the bow,it has too short ATA for me .

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Im not at all saying its upper class but u said that speed cost you things in a bow, and i dont think it does, I dont understand how you think there is nuthen wrong with your bow if it vibrating so bad that its causing screws to come lose in it, I think that something is wrong with it,

·
Banned
159 Posts
I never shot a bow before in my life until Christmas eve when I picked up my new PSE Axe 6 from the Archery center. After getting it set up I was shooting 1.5"-2" groups at 20yds. I got the 60# model and has him turn it down to 55# so I can practise with form and get those muscles working. I know one thing is is gonna be a machine and it is very quiet. Now its just up to me to put the practice in and finding the deer. I'll post a some pics after my stabilizer comes in this week. I can't say enough about Bryan cause he stayed 1/2 past hrs on xmas eve to get me setup and shooting properly. Definatly class act.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I just whant you to no that its not all speed bows that act that way, What model is it, im just curious, When i first upgraded to better bow then my old 300 dollar one, it was a very close call between the one i chose and the thruth 2 witch i loved and actually still like very very much, I keep seeing them for very good prices, and its getting harder and harder to no buy one just to have as a backup, I have shot there new attack and carrnige and am not impressed at all

·
Registered
314 Posts
Im not at all saying its upper class but u said that speed cost you things in a bow, and i dont think it does, I dont understand how you think there is nuthen wrong with your bow if it vibrating so bad that its causing screws to come lose in it, I think that something is wrong with it,
I did not say that-that was Still Learning.If you read the bottom of my earlier post kidding around about PSE you would see I agreed with you.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Nice choice Gastch, Very few people are open minded on how todays technology allows these lower brace height bows to be forgiven, Oh well we will reap the rewards, Bryan is pretty good to deal with and i have no complaints. Nice to be able to go to a local shop also

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a Martin cogar I think it is and it was hopped up by someone else with speed knocks and other things and I can't keep it together. Very frustrating. Ya I know my own fault but still makes it not a fun bow to shoot.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts