New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Season opens Saturday for Spring Rats. I've trapped plenty of rat's in the fall but have never trapped in the spring.

Going to give it a try this year. Plan on using carrots and scent attractants. My understanding is during mating season they'll respond to gland lure really well.

What's your best set for the spring season??

·
Registered
404 Posts
Season opens Saturday for Spring Rats. I've trapped plenty of rat's in the fall but have never trapped in the spring.

Going to give it a try this year. Plan on using carrots and scent attractants. My understanding is during mating season they'll respond to gland lure really well.

What's your best set for the spring season??
Up here , wait two more months for ice to melt . Thats why trout season only opens up here 15th of may (lakes and ponds) to keep guys from ice fishing 1st of may . Still lots of winter left up here , snowmobile up river most places (not plowed) till 15th april , then wait another couple of weeks to be able to get to my camp in zone 7 .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Up here , wait two more months for ice to melt . Thats why trout season only opens up here 15th of may (lakes and ponds) to keep guys from ice fishing 1st of may . Still lots of winter left up here , snowmobile up river most places (not plowed) till 15th april , then wait another couple of weeks to be able to get to my camp in zone 7 .
I used to use parsnip for bait along with carrot. I heard it has more smell. Rats liked it alot!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Float sets were always my go-to for spring rats on the lower SJR but one doesn't have much choice anyhow with the spring freshette and all.Depends on the type of habitat you're trapping I spose?Conis at den entrances and runs,feedbed sets,subs in the channels....pretty much the same as fall trapping until the flood waters sink everything...then it's pretty much all legholds on floats.A good gland lure certainly doesn't hurt in Spring,I rarely ever bothered with bait but mostly I just look for sign on logs that are being used and notch out a level depression for the trap....I used some of the same logs annually for years and years.I've also experimented and had some pretty good results with snares on floats to beef up my line when I was short on traps but I'm not even 100% sure if it's legal?I don't see why not,but I've never seen anything in the regs either way....all I know is it works great when done properly,lol.On that note,I went through a lengthy trial and error process developing a surefire snaring method that drowns'em every time which is an absolute must or they WILL escape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts