New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I knew this day was coming. I heard (can not confirm) from a good source that one or more A$$holes shot 17 turkeys from a flock of about 25. The dumb asses shot them with a rifle (assume a .22-250) and left the dead birds in the field. All for what???

Whaler/Bill - did you hear about this?

NBGuide can you confirm this happened? (I ask because I thought you are from around that area)

·
Registered
283 Posts
The President of the NWTF chapter in Sussex told me the same thing last weekend, GD BS if anyone knows who committed this stupid crime please report it. I can understand if someone shot one and took it home to eat (although it still isn't right) but shooting 17 and then leaving them???? For wild turkey pics perhaps we shouldn't name their exact location just the general area. This is a small set back, but if everyone is willing to keep asking for the wild turkey to be reintroduced, soon the tide will turn in our favor. Especially when our plan will have a net cost of zero to the province and will be a big money maker for the rural economy.

Bill G.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I haven't heard anything about this but it wouldn't surprise me. It's surprising how many people have the misconception, that since it's not on their hunting permit they can shoot it, there are. Just yesterday I heard that statement and had to get out my game summary to prove them wrong. Hopefully this shooting didn't take place. The flock I was taking pics of was about 25.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If one was using a rifle you might get a few before the birds realized what was happening. Then you could do that over a period of days. Hopefully this is not true. We really need to get the word out, DON'T SHOOT THE BIRDS! We will have wild turkey hunting in New Brunswick some day if we just leave these birds alone to do their thing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Guy's, well at least around hunting circles the word is getting out that it is currently illegal to shoot a wild turkey. Now is a critical time, a few years back when there were just a few stray birds in the province folks would think "what harm would it do to shoot a turkey and take it home?" well with flocks starting the establish themselves in various locations around the province it is absolutely critical to leave them alone. Consider this, one hen can lay 12-14 eggs and if ten of them survive then based on two parent birds, the next year there would be 12. This would be an ideal case scenario. So potentially for every hen that you shoot it could make the difference between there being one bird (gobbler) or 12 (gobbler+hen+10 Poults). These birds have amazing reproductive capacity and given the opportunity they will populate an area very fast with in a few years. As single flocks grow in numbers then that flock would split and they would spread out to better take advantage of available food resources. Maine started in the late 70's and held their first hunt with 500 tags in 1986. If we get a wild turkey reintroduction program in place my estimate would be in the ten year time frame where a small controlled lottery type hunt could be held. I know that every one is tired of me harping away on this topic but now is the time that every sportsman needs to get involved. Talk to your neighbour, talk to other hunters and hammer home to fact that your not allowed to shoot a turkey. Talk to your MLA or other folks who are connected to our political leaders and let them know where you stand, that rural NB doesn't want, but absolutely needs the estimated 20 million dollars that a wild turkey hunt could bring into rural NB. Join a club and push to have a resolution put forth (through NBWF) asking for the reintroduction of wild turkeys. Attend a dinner put on by NWTF as thats how we are going to pay for wild turkey reintroduction. We have to turn a few voices in the wilderness into a ground swell of support so that wild turkey reintroduction will be the only clear option.

Bill G.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm going to the St.Stepehen area in the morning to look for a wounded immature bald eagle. I'll ask the DNR guys about it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
DNR in the St.Stephen area know nothing about this. I asked and the flocks they know of are still intact.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Same eagle. Haven't got him yet. Face is full of quills and he has a damaged wing and leg. May just be a lot of quills.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Same eagle. Haven't got him yet. Face is full of quills and he has a damaged wing and leg. May just be a lot of quills.
I seen him today around 1:30 at the side of the road. He is unable to fly, seemed to be holding his wing oddly and yes he has a face full of quills.
Im glad to hear that someone is trying to capture him.
If you dont mind, keep me posted on whether or not you are able to capture him.
Thanks.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wasn't the flock I've been getting pictures of. Saw them this week. They have split into smaller groups but are all accounted for, as far as I can tell. Unfortunately the cutbacks at DNR have taken the spark from many of their employees but as for dumb I can't say that would be my opinion. The DNR employee I was after the eagle with seemed exceptionally dedicated. He worked from 7a.m. Sunday morning until noon and it was on his own time. He had worked all day Saturday looking for the eagle for straight time. I don't work for DNR and had to return to my own job on Monday so I haven't looked for the eagle since Sunday. I went by the area this morning and he hasn't fed on the porcupine carcass since last Sunday, so I'm guessing either he got caught or has died. If anybody sees him, on your way to McAdam, please call DNR.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I am sorry to hear about the story about killing turkeys...the eagle too!
These stories give the spotsman a bad name. We may not be able to hunt anything if this sort of rumour or fact continues.
It is in everyones best interest that this doesn't continue (if it did at all).

Our group at the NB NWTF works very hard to have a favorable reputation in our communities.
We hope to give away some turkeys for Christmas this year to needy families.

Bill, thanks for your comments and "harping" on this topic. Very much needed and appreciated. We all need to stick together and get the good word out.
We will be able to enjoy the fruits of our labour.

Please support our cause. You can do this by joining us in Saint John on April 2, 2010 at our annual banquet for the NWTF.
Lots of great prizes and even more guns than last year.
More information to come on that.

Thanks everyone! It is good to know you are out there helping!

Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
I dont think that this is true, could be wrong but im sure id have heard about this by now.There are two or 3 flocks of 25-40 birds within 1 km of my house and the landowners keep them pretty protected if someone did this im sure there would be some chirping by now

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well that's good news, keep an eye on them as best you can. This is another front that needs to be addressed at the highest levels. If you shoot an eagle you've broken the law because you don't have a lic to harvest that animal, well it's no different with wild turkeys. If anyone has first hand information about the illegal killing of wild turkeys then please report it to the authorities and inform others here. A couple of years back we had asked for a page in the "Hunt and Fish" summary with a picture of a wild turkey so folks would know what they look like along with a short paragraph stating that they are migrating in from Maine and are illegal to kill as they are not on any licenses. However the government of the day turned us down. Well I think with the recent wild turkey migrations into NB I would think that most folks would know what a wild turkey looks like. However I'm sure that some people stiil think that it's OK to shoot them. We need to get the word out, we have to leave the existing populations alone so they can reproduce on their own which will eventually lead to some sort of a limited season.

Bill G.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Bill,
If they are NOT listed as huntable game in the handbook then they can't be hunted.
If they are it is an offence.
Thats the way it works here in NS anyway....possibly why they wouldn't bother to add it.
Theres a fair bit of cost and fiddle involved in changing the booklet

1 - 19 of 19 Posts