New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, quick question. Never went duck hunting before but looking to give it a shot this year. Nothing serious, just put a few in the freezer beside the hot pockets. I got a canoe, 12g, a dog(who wont swim!) gonna pick up a call and head to some lakes off the beaten path where I seen ducks while trout fishing. Thinking of just setting up on shore in a bit of cover and having a crack at it. What's your 2 (or 3) cents? Good start or doomed to failure? Ok i guess the quick question part was a lie.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, you won`t get any if you stay on the couch so you`ve got the right idea!
1. Leave the dog home unless you know he is steady when you are shooting and will actually retrieve.
2. Add 3 or 4 decoys, doesn`t need to be anything fancy.
3. Set up with the wind (and ideally the sun) coming from behind you.
3. Learn to make a simple and reliable quack with your call before you leave the house. Don`t try and sound like the guys in the videos. Or don`t call at all.

Good hunting, sorry about the ridiculous obsession that you`re about to get stuck with...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree with all of Twinfan's comments, but particullarly the first comment about the dog.

If the dog doesn't swim, then why bring it along? You didn't mention if the dog has been introduced to the gun already, so forgive me if you have, but if the dog is still a gun virgin, then leave the dog home until you've done a proper introduction. Firing a 12ga beside a dog who has never heard one before is a good way to ruin a potential gun dog and hunting buddy. Don't rush it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Your dog could still be a lot of help for you even though he doesnt swim, as long as he is not gun shy. It can be near immpossible
to find downed ducks in the grass without a dog and if you can take your dog to the general area where a duck went down and let him hunt around there is a good chance he will find ducks for you, and if there are no ducks flying at least you will have company.

You have all the essentials, you can use your canoe to retrieve the ones in the water, calling helps some people but I do not bother much because it scares more away than it brings when I call. lol. Deacoys will help you a lot they often wont land but they may fly close enough to have a look at your deacoys to shoot at.

The first 15 minutes of legal time in the day and the last 15 minutes of legal time is usually the best time of the day for ducks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fella's, the reason to bring the dog is just so he's out with me, he's no help with partridge either (accidental flusher!) but he's been out shooting with me many times (me shooting not him). I just don't want him in the house when i'm in the great outdoors, if i even have to tie him off to a tree while i'm in the bushes is better than eating socks at home. I'll pick up some decoys at cdn tire, and try it out. As long as the grocery bill goes down a bit I'm happy. One more question, my plan is to go down round clarendon and wirral to the many lakes i've been chasing trout, and i don't want to paddle my ass right in front of one of you in a blind cursing at me for scaring anything off. Do you have your blinds marked or call "dibs" on spots?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't think anyone will be fighting you for a spot on any lakes down by wirral with the SJR and adjacent waters so close.

Bill G.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will concur with the dog, leave him home. I have been chasing waterfowl for 30 years, the dog will cause you pain. As far as Wirral and Cleardon, you may shoot a few, but not very many. I had a family farm in Juvinille Sett for a while, very little waterfowl. If you series about the ducks, head for SJ River, Oromocto River system. I can say that now because I have since moved away from the area, best of luck, it's a great addiction.

As for decoys. Start small. you will need 5 black ducks, three teal. That will do for a long time. Think or all the ducks you see, they never hang out in an even dozen. Small is better. Better to buy quality dekes, rather that a lot of crappy ones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
"I'll pick up some decoys at cdn tire" that just sounds Nasty

You dont need quantity ---recommend you invest in quality.

last bit is if your dog is in the canoe make sure your gun is in a floating gun case and always safety first

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well leaving the dog home isn't an option. Or at least i'm not considering it. Like I said I know he's not a retriever but just bein in the bush is good enough, if i get a duck or two great if not I'll just go for more partridge. I've been seein lots of ducks in the water around back clarendon, and pardon my ignorance but the oromocto river area seems like it would be crowded. Anyhoo fellas anymore tips? I'm in for food and fun and only leaving the dog home for deer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Many duck hunters only hunt the first day or two so it isn't as crowded afterward. And if there is a few guys still hunting after that they are usually happy to have people manning the empty blinds to keep the birds moving. The first day most of the good spots will be occupied but the later in the season it gets the more choice there will be as to where to hunt because there gets to be less and less duck hunters out as the shooting slows down, but sometimes later in the season can be almost as good as the first day if you find a good spot, set up properly, and have a little luck on your side.

·
Registered
96 Posts
To me the more hunters the more the ducks move so more will be fliying your way. If your isolated alone in a smale lake you probably only shoot a couple shots and your spot will go dead. Go closer to where other hunters are shooting and find a small pond or creek that has lots of cover. the duck will think its a safe place and as the other hunter scare them off the big marches and rivers the ducks will keep porring in you smale hidden spot.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Another good tip, if you happen to sneak into one of those small hidden away places, or even on a small lake where there has been no hunting pressure, if you jump a whole bunch of ducks, restrain yourself from shooting at them, let them fly out then when they are gone quickly jump into some cover either fairly close to where the ducks were on big water or near en entrance on a small pond or creek, throw 2 or 3 decoys out then sit and wait. 9 times out of 10 most of or all those ducks will come back in small groups, if they dont see you they will likely drop right back in without any calling, which will give you a good opportunity to get lots of shooting at mutiplie small flocks, whereas if you shoot at them right off the bat when you jump them you might get one or a couple but then the hole lot will be gone for the day.Ive gotten more ducks this way by jumping them then waiting, than jumping shooting all day , it usually only lasts an hour or so but its fast and fun while it lasts and works particularly well on woodducks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts