New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi everyone;
In December, just before Christmas, I noticed a big doe coming to our 'feeders" with her left ear twisted badly, almost turned inside out; something I had never seen in all my years wondering the woods of this province. She came in every evening with a group of five or six other deer and had a noticeable mark/scar on the side of her head, causing me to think she might have sustained an injury from a bullet or a fight with another deer. She often shook her head viciously and I think it was because of this deformity. Well, after a period of several weeks, she came in one evening with the deformed ear back to the normal position! I glassed her to make sure it was the same doe and sure enough, she still carried the "head scar/mark but her ear had turned "right side Out" again! In hind site, I think she had received an injury from some source that had been so forceful, it had snapped the ear cartilage in such a manner as to turn the ear inside out and then it stayed in that position for some time. I don't know how the ear snapped back into proper position but I thought it was pretty amazing. When I think back, I remember some other oddities in deer over the years...one buck that had a dry socket where his left eye had once been. What had happened ? I don't know. Did he lose it to another buck's antler in a scrap or by running through the woods, had he hit a dry snag limb and lost it? On another occasion, I spotted a big doe with the hide missing from one hind quarter, as large as a standard wash cloth. The area had healed over but had never grown deer hair again. Moving to other animals, I've encountered a three legged bob cat with not even a body stump. There had never been a leg there. I also saw the same thing in two black bears...same left front leg missing in the sow as in a yearling which we believed to be her offspring. Genetics perhaps in those cases...accidents of some sort in the others. I've encountered a cow moose so skinny and poor, she ran right into the side of my pickup and snubbed her nose on my windshield, drooling on the glass and the hood and startling both my son and I as I slammed on the brakes. That was quite a day! She turned and staggered up the road ahead of us before disappearing in the bush. I think she may have had "Brain Worm." On another occasion, we saw a cow moose with a badly twisted and swollen front leg...possibly broken, which she reluctantly hobbled on. She was in poor shape as well, probably starving. What strange sites/things have you encountered in the animal world?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
well...
i seen bowtech in the woods one day...and i am sure he was carrying PSE bow...!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi everyone;
In December, just before Christmas, I noticed a big doe coming to our 'feeders" with her left ear twisted badly, almost turned inside out; something I had never seen in all my years wondering the woods of this province. She came in every evening with a group of five or six other deer and had a noticeable mark/scar on the side of her head, causing me to think she might have sustained an injury from a bullet or a fight with another deer. She often shook her head viciously and I think it was because of this deformity. Well, after a period of several weeks, she came in one evening with the deformed ear back to the normal position! I glassed her to make sure it was the same doe and sure enough, she still carried the "head scar/mark but her ear had turned "right side Out" again! In hind site, I think she had received an injury from some source that had been so forceful, it had snapped the ear cartilage in such a manner as to turn the ear inside out and then it stayed in that position for some time. I don't know how the ear snapped back into proper position but I thought it was pretty amazing. When I think back, I remember some other oddities in deer over the years...one buck that had a dry socket where his left eye had once been. What had happened ? I don't know. Did he lose it to another buck's antler in a scrap or by running through the woods, had he hit a dry snag limb and lost it? On another occasion, I spotted a big doe with the hide missing from one hind quarter, as large as a standard wash cloth. The area had healed over but had never grown deer hair again. Moving to other animals, I've encountered a three legged bob cat with not even a body stump. There had never been a leg there. I also saw the same thing in two black bears...same left front leg missing in the sow as in a yearling which we believed to be her offspring. Genetics perhaps in those cases...accidents of some sort in the others. I've encountered a cow moose so skinny and poor, she ran right into the side of my pickup and snubbed her nose on my windshield, drooling on the glass and the hood and startling both my son and I as I slammed on the brakes. That was quite a day! She turned and staggered up the road ahead of us before disappearing in the bush. I think she may have had "Brain Worm." On another occasion, we saw a cow moose with a badly twisted and swollen front leg...possibly broken, which she reluctantly hobbled on. She was in poor shape as well, probably starving. What strange sites/things have you encountered in the animal world?
predetor1 i've seen you on other forums and had no idea you were so close!
A freind of mine had a doe that came to their house in st.goerge every winter for 7 years it's left front leg didn't touch the ground it was bent up back towards it's stomach, but lived a good life and got along just fine.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've gotten a picture of a decent buck with his front leg broke and healed up. And I have another buck that shed his small rack and had one of his back legs amputated from the knee down. Also had this male pheasant that use to come over to my basement window and peck it with his beak. Use to wake me up when I was sleeping a few hours after working night shift.

Also had photos of a small doe that had scars on her right side. Looked like she may have been hit by a car. The next Spring I got photos of her where one of the scars was healed over black with no hair and she had a new born fawn with her.

Just yesterday I was at by buddies house in the garage shooting the breeze and out the back window is a bobcat working his way across the field on the snow but he was limping something awfull.

Also saw a hawk come down and grab the neighbors cat walking across the back field. The cat was too fat so the hawk had to let go. That cat ran like a rocket back to his house.

Called in a bull moose one time in the dark for fun and had to jump in the box of my truck as he circled the white half ton. Freaked me out a bit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts